Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
So I went to my local Apple store yesterday to add Applecare+ to my brand new 5s (purchased from my carrier 3 days ago, mint condition) to be told that I would have to leave the phone there for inspection. When I asked what the inspection entailed, I was told that the phone would be disassembled and reassembled by a technician to ensure there is no damage. Needless to say, I don't want my brand new phone being taken apart so I declined.. Anyone else run into this?

Last edited:

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Wow I never heard something like that... I just bought apple care + for my 5s and it took 5 mins, he went in the settings checked something and was done, they never hold the phone for any reason, specially if you wanna buy apple care +... When you say your local apple store where is that?

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
That's BS, they just inspect that the phone isn't physically damaged and that the water sensor isn't tripped.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Maybe that are geeks and want know what is inside the iPhone 5s. That is not right. When I got my AppleCare+ they just looked for the serial # and looked around the iPhone 5 for damage and they approved it.

The Pearl

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
You don't have to do any of that, just call Apple and tell them you want to purchase Apple Care + for your new phone. They ask for serial number, charge $99 to your card, end of story. I got Apple Care + for my phone and my wife's on same day. I've never been ask for any type of inspection.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
You don't have to do any of that, just call Apple and tell them you want to purchase Apple Care + for your new phone. They ask for serial number, charge $99 to your card, end of story. I got Apple Care + for my phone and my wife's on same day. I've never been ask for any type of inspection.

Thanks for the advice. I did manage to purchase it (without dissection) eventually by going back and arguing a bit. Just a heads up for anyone else in Hong Kong that the Apple store folks seem a bit confused at the moment. Applecare+ is a new thing here so hopefully they'll smarten up soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.