Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I'm not too sure of where this thread belongs, so I guess this is fine. If it has to be moved, then please do so. Thanks! Onto my question...

I am looking to buy a new computer desk/workstation for my bedroom. The one I use now is a corner desk, but I am needing more room. I am looking for one suitable for three computers (PowerBook G4 17-inch, gaming PC w/ 20.1" Dell 2005FPW and my soon-to-be-had Power Mac G5 w/ 23-inch ACD). I would also prefer it to have some type of storage... whether it be drawers or shelving, somewhere to store a few magazines, CDs and DVDs. My budget is under or around $200. I don't care about size just yet. I just need a few suggestions. What do you use and how do you like it? Thanks in advance! I really appreciate it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
You may need to consider using a couple of desks for a proper set up.

I'm using a pair of 47"x20" desks, one with a hutch. They both have a keyboard tray (wide enough for the mousepad and mouse in addition to the keyboard) and a small drawer.

On the desk with the hutch, is a 30" Cinema Display and under it is a PowerMac and a subwoofer.

The other desk has an Epson 2200 printer and an 18" LCD Display.

Yes, the one with the Cinema Display may be a little small, but they were like $250 for the hutch and both desks. And they are solid wood.

People designing computer desks don't really have a clue at how people use them or so it seems. Too many of them have keyboard trays that are not wide enough for a mouse pad and mouse.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Thanks, Bear! Maybe I will go with two separate smaller desks. Now if only I have the room... and yes, I agree with you about designing desks. A lot of keyboard/mouse racks I have used barely give you any moving room, which is why I always use my keyboard and mouse on top of desks now. And just to clarify, you got two desks and one hutch for $250? If I am reading that correctly, that sounds like a great deal to me.

I'll shop around. Thanks!

Edit: This may be difficult, but is there any chance you can link me to what you bought? Your setup sounds kind of like what I need.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
p0intblank said:
Thanks, Bear! Maybe I will go with two separate smaller desks. Now if only I have the room... and yes, I agree with you about designing desks. A lot of keyboard/mouse racks I have used barely give you any moving room, which is why I always use my keyboard and mouse on top of desks now. And just to clarify, you got two desks and one hutch for $250? If I am reading that correctly, that sounds like a great deal to me.

I'll shop around. Thanks!

Edit: This may be difficult, but is there any chance you can link me to what you bought? Your setup sounds kind of like what I need.
Yes $250ish. At Target - it may or may not still be available in the stores, but it is on their website - http://target.com/. Search for "Mission Natural".

It's not perfect, but it's better than everything else I've seen so far.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I found this picture of someone's setup over at [H]ard Forum:

office2.jpg

That is exactly what I am looking for! Not only does it have tons of space for my computers and misc. items, but the quality looks top-notch. Is this IKEA? It looks like it... anyone know what this kind of setup would run me?

jung_offender

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2004
quality...IKEA...

Have you ever been to IKEA? I'm not sure that I would often put these two words together without "is something that you will never find at" somewhere else in the sentence.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
jung_offender said:
quality...IKEA...

Have you ever been to IKEA? I'm not sure that I would often put these two words together without "is something that you will never find at" somewhere else in the sentence.

I agree with your statement to a point. IKEA has some very nice things and the quality is alright for day to day use, however on other things the quality control is just embarrassing.

I have owned several IKEA furniture and I have probably returned half of it for the very reason that it did not stand the test of time and by that I mean a couple weeks or normal light use.

Be-careful buy something with the intent that you might return it. On the whole I am pretty happy with my IKEA purchases however for its shortcomings I have looked else where for other things and am very happy with the mix. :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
p0intblank said:
I found this picture of someone's setup over at [H]ard Forum:

office2.jpg

That is exactly what I am looking for! Not only does it have tons of space for my computers and misc. items, but the quality looks top-notch. Is this IKEA? It looks like it... anyone know what this kind of setup would run me?

That desk looks hideous. :p

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
you get what you pay for...

there is some stuff at ikea that is crap for sure, but some of it is made really well and will last for years... it's usually the stuff that isn't unbelievably priced.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
technocoy said:
there is some stuff at ikea that is crap for sure, but some of it is made really well and will last for years... it's usually the stuff that isn't unbelievably priced.

Their office furniture is pretty damned bullet proof.

I'vedone like three 4-5 person offices with their stuff with great long-term success.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
Bottom line...

Your not going to get something that looks great AND is top quality for $200.
I think you should save up some more cash and go into the $400 range if you want quality and appeal.

A $200 desk would probably be made of particle board which will not stand up to everyday use. You will see that when using particle board the screws that hold the whole desk together will soon pull out of the desk and make it wobble, and the middle of the desk will sag due to the weight if you get a desk that is as large as the one pictured above in this thread.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Why not use the multiple inputs on the 2005FPW for the PC (VGA) and the PMG5 (DVI)? That's what I would do, personally.

Then just get two keyboards and two mice (or a good KVM) and be done with it. Go wireless and further reduce our clutter.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I don't like having to switch from computer to computer on one monitor. I like each computer having its own setup. As for that desk, it looks like the quality is fine... certainly better than what I am using now. Ah, I'll search around. Thanks again for the help.

iBS23

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2005
adk said:
It looks modular, and it looks like real office furniture (ie not IKEA). Maybe PM whoever posted it?

Yep, that is NOT IKEA. AFAIK, IKEA does not make a corner post like that, and the corner piece looks even on both sides whereas the IKEA corner is longer on one side than the other.

That said, it looks very much like IKEA's Galant series (under Work Area at IKEA
s web site). IMO, the modular desk stuff they have is not that cheap once you add in storage and everything else. However, if you're looking for just a table like in the picture, then the its worth a look. I've found their office furnture to be fairly well-built.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.