Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
A contest to see who could get Linux to boot and run on the Xbox ganimg console was started about a year ago has now reached its deadline.

There were two parts to the contest.

1. Getting Linux to run on it with a mod chip
2. Getting Linux to run without a mod chip

The reward was $100,000 for each part.

The first has been completed and while the second hasn't, the deadline for the contest is over and the anonymous donor is..............

The CEO of Lindows.com, Micheal Robertson!

Edit: http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/articles.php?aid=2002364145010

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
look at the screen shots... they used a mac for this (at least one) plus they use a apple pro keyboard and mouse (one button... for linux? I thought they all complained about that!) to connect to the XBOX controller connections (they are USB--just different connectors, so they spliced them in).

I thought that was cool.

- bert :cool:

(someone said it first... stupid IE not refreshing the page... :p )

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by the President of Lindows.com
Oh, but is is widely known that MS is SUBSIDIZING the XBox...so...everytime someone buys one, they actually TAKE $$$ AWAY from them. The more they sell, the more they lose. The idea of MS losing money for someone to run Linux, well, it's just too delicious. =)

Kevin

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I find this to be hilarious. What a great ploy to shove Linux right in M$'s face. Too bad that many of the people involved in this contest buy Windows machines every couple years.

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.