Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should Apple Allow ios7 users to downgrade back to ios 6?

• Yes

Votes: 304 52.0%
  • No

Votes: 271 46.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 1.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I think it's ridiculous that people can't downgrade back. What if your phone simply can't handle the new ios? If I had an iphone 4 and I didn't like the way my phone handled it, I'd be really mad that apple doesn't allow me to switch back.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
It's only necessary to run older versions of OS for compatibility, iOS7 will have the best compatibility for newer apps as developers will slowly drop support for 6.

It's probably the same reason a percentage of people still run Snow Leopard due to PPC support

Thierry ba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Sarajevo, Bosnia
I think it's ridiculous that people can't downgrade back. What if your phone simply can't handle the new ios? If I had an iphone 4 and I didn't like the way my phone handled it, I'd be really mad that apple doesn't allow me to switch back.

People had 3 days to go back before Apple stoped signing iOS6.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
People had 3 days to go back before Apple stoped signing iOS6.

3 days is nothing, I didn't notice any problems with iMessage for the first week.

Apple does not own your phone, you do, you should be able to downgrade, if you would like, whenever you like.

I understand if new phones (i.e. - 5c and 5s) are only compatable with iOS 7, but existing phones should have the option to downgrade.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
No, no, thrice no. Give up your quaint notion of ownership, as if your iPhone is a PC and you have IOS 6 on floppies ready to re-install. When you buy an iPhone you're not buying a machine with a shrink wrapped operating system, you're buying an ecosystem, it's bigger than you and it evolves and there's nothing you can or should do about that other than work with it, or bin your phone. It's that simple.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
No, no, thrice no. Give up your quaint notion of ownership, as if your iPhone is a PC and you have IOS 6 on floppies ready to re-install. When you buy an iPhone you're not buying a machine with a shrink wrapped operating system, you're buying an ecosystem, it's bigger than you and it evolves and there's nothing you can or should do about that other than work with it, or bin your phone. It's that simple.

What downgrade has to do with ecosystem? When you are buying PC, aren't you buying into Windows ecosystem as well? When you are buying Mac, aren't you buying into Mac ecosystem as well? What is so different on iOS side than Windows/ Mac side?

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
In my opinion, you should always be able to restore it back to its stock condition. This means whatever operating system the phone shipped with.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Apple wouldn't release the OS for your Phone if it couldn't handle it.

Example: the iPhone 3GS.

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars

That is exactly the case with my iPhone 4. It's just too slow for the new colors. and I hate Apple and my iPhone now!

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
No, Apples entire business model is based on a captive audience. In order to continue to maximize profits, Apple must sell more hardware and software.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I think like, dare I say Microsft, all software should have an end-of-life date and it should not be 2 days after you release the newer version. Apple pulled iOS6 way to soon. Should stay "signed" for AT LEAST 3 monts to give people options, at least while early bugs are resolved.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
That is exactly the case with my iPhone 4. It's just too slow for the new colors. and I hate Apple and my iPhone now!

Seems like mine works at least as well on 7 as it did on 6. Really enjoy using it, too. :) Sorry you hate it. Give it some more time maybe? :(

EDIT: One thing that is definitely a lot less smooth is the UIPicker though...

Last edited:

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
It's all about the money, you have an older phone and iOS 7 doesn't run well? We give you three days to revert but just so you know eventually you'll have to upgrade to iOS 7 anyway. So, get rid of that old phone and buy our new 5C or S!

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Yes. I've met a lot of disgruntled people these past few days and I think it would be wise to provide them with a choice. For a lot of people, iOS 7 isn't the quality OS that they fell in love when they purchased their phone. Now that they've lost it they may start looking at alternative phones.

The 5S might be popular now due to the usual excitement that comes with a new iphone launch, but I think we will see a backlash in the next few months.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I don't see how 3 days is enough time. Some people may not have noticed it was even available until well after the 3 days, then upgraded thinking they could just go back.

----------

Apple wouldn't release the OS for your Phone if it couldn't handle it.

Read about some ios 7 iphone 4 owners before you are blindly backing :apple: on this.

----------

now that I think about it; :apple: makes money off of this "forced" ios 7. If you have an ipad 2 and ios 7 is choppy on it and you can't go back, consumer thinks he/she needs a better ipad. Cha-ching, :apple: collects another $800

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't see how 3 days is enough time. Some people may not have noticed it was even available until well after the 3 days, then upgraded thinking they could just go back.

----------

Read about some ios 7 iphone 4 owners before you are blindly backing :apple: on this.

the iPhone 4 meets the minimum requirements for iOS 7. It may not run as fast and smooth as the iPhone 5 but it's nowhere near "unusable".

I personally helped 3-4 users in the office update to iOS 7 on their iPhone 4. I can see how it's not as fast as it is on my iPhone 5 but it's not this "end of the world" experience either.

You also need to consider all it takes is a few patches and Apple will usually iron out battery and performance issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.