Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

View Poll Results: Should Apple Allow ios7 users to downgrade back to ios 6?
Yes 304 51.97%
No 271 46.32%
Other 10 1.71%
Voters: 585. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:42 AM   #51
SakuraSuki
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by activate View Post
Can you downgrade other smart phones ?
Yes you can.
SakuraSuki is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:51 AM   #52
Skika
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
NO.

iOS7>>>iOS6

Why would Apple allow people to go with the outdated inferior OS version?

People who want iOS6 instead of iOS7 are just wrong.
__________________
MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone
Skika is offline   2
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:54 AM   #53
SakuraSuki
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
NO.

iOS7>>>iOS6

Why would Apple allow people to go with the outdated inferior OS version?

People who want iOS6 instead of iOS7 are just wrong.
And that is just your own opinion right?
SakuraSuki is offline   1
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:56 AM   #54
Skika
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraSuki View Post
And that is just your own opinion right?
Its a factinion.
__________________
MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone
Skika is offline   2
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:16 AM   #55
Dorje Sylas
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Changing the discussion away from phones to tablets and iPod Touches. I own both my iPad 2 and iPod Touch 3rd gen outright. I paid good money not lease them from either Apple or a phone company. I own that hardware. I have the right to decided what software operates on those bits of silicon.

If Apple creates an inferior user experience through an upgrade on a system that really can't handle it then it is upon Apple to make a 'downgrade' available. They've taken the first step by finally realizing they're leaving large amounts of legacy harware in the wild that is still in perfectly good condition and operation.

Because that's what's happening. Just like the jump from to iOS4 that sucker punched the iPhone 3 and iPod Touch 2. This also becomes more pointed with OverTheAir updates which can badger an unaware owner with 'new update' messages and make them think they should.

Flatly, it is NOT a good consumer experience. Apple should be ashamed.
Dorje Sylas is offline   1
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:52 AM   #56
scoop2mylue
macrumors 6502a
 
scoop2mylue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indiana
this would be like having the 5s and wanting to go back down to the 5

wouldnt it
scoop2mylue is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:52 PM   #57
KeanosMagicHat
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2012
Although I'm not keen on the bright white look of iOS 7, I don't want to revert back to 6.

I do respect the right to choose, however and so voted, 'Yes'.

Surprised so many have voted to restrict these rights.
KeanosMagicHat is offline   2
Old Oct 7, 2013, 02:39 PM   #58
calaverasgrande
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: ?
3 days is a horribly short grace period. It takes much longer than that for our dept to vet a new IOS release. Heck the ticket requesting the vetting process will eat up half of that.

FWIW I like IOS 7 in general. But it is way too buggy even on a brand new 5S.
calaverasgrande is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2013, 03:29 PM   #59
Osullivan1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London
Can you imagine how many people would downgrade? Why would Apple want that?

First and foremost, some developers might not bother upgrading their apps to iOS 7 because not as many people have it (and they don't want their app to resemble an 'unpopular' iOS). But also, people who don't like the way it looks will get used to it, and any bugs people may be experiencing will be fixed. If Apple let people downgrade: no one who disliked the UI wouldn't get used to it and would continue to complain, and people with bugs would be scared to re-upgrade.

There's more than just technical reasons why Apple don't allow people to downgrade.
Osullivan1 is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2013, 03:47 PM   #60
moargolems
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
NO.

iOS7>>>iOS6

Why would Apple allow people to go with the outdated inferior OS version?

People who want iOS6 instead of iOS7 are just wrong.
Oh, okay... Upgrading to iOS 7 now.

Oh wait, I can download a Teletubbies theme from Cydia!
__________________
hackintosh + galaxy siii + iphone + ipad
moargolems is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2013, 03:49 PM   #61
3lite
macrumors 6502a
 
3lite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Why give us option to buy a iPhone 5C and variant colors when this is more important?

Money grubbers.
3lite is offline   0
Old Oct 8, 2013, 05:29 AM   #62
benji888
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: United States
I voted yes because a lot of people using iPhone 4 say it's slow or laggy. When I had my iPhone 3G, you could update to iOS 4, but, it was horribly laggy, to the point I went back to iOS 3. Now, I can't remember if there was something special I had to do, it was so long ago, but I didn't jailbreak it, but, maybe I had to reset the Modem Firmware or something? ...I happen to luv iOS 7 on my iPhone 5, but, I can't imagine it would run well on an iPhone 4.
__________________
MBP 13" (mid2010), 4GB, DIY Fusion drive , OS X 10.10 Yo. Viewsonic VX2370SMH 23" IPS
iPhone 6 iPad Mini iPhone 5 (touch) iOS 8
Macs since 1998
benji888 is offline   1
Old Oct 8, 2013, 06:15 AM   #63
Tamagotchi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Can someone explain why they voted no, and chose to restrict other people's rights to downgrade?

My opinion is, why the F do you care if people downgrade or not? Is it affecting you in any way? Lets say you have Mountain Lion, is it affecting you that some people still run Leopard or Snow Leopard? I guess it doesn't, so why do you care about iOS downgrades?
Tamagotchi is offline   4
Old Oct 8, 2013, 06:34 AM   #64
me7
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry ba View Post
People had 3 days to go back before Apple stoped signing iOS6.
Why do you say it like it's a good thing? Why do people accept Apple's strategy of dictating "when" you can or can't install OSes in the first place?

Because older OSes can't be supported anymore? I don't need additional support, I don't need security updates for iOS6. I just need to stick to iOS6 until iOS7.1, 7.2 or even 8.0 fixes the problems of iOS7. If I want to install a legacy OS with all the possible downsides because the upsides justify it for me (a proper music app), who are Apple to say no?
me7 is offline   1
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:08 AM   #65
chrf097
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Allowing downgrade = heavier fragmentation. Apple has done a superb job limiting fragmentation in it's devices. Allowing a downgrade to iOS 6 would just break everything up. Besides, already >50% of people are on iOS 7.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8.1 | Verizon | Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8.1

chrf097 is offline   1
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:09 AM   #66
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
If Apple had excluded the iPhone 4 people would bitch that it was a ploy to make them upgrade. But now that the 4 was supported people bitch that its slow and laggy.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   1
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:10 AM   #67
chrf097
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by me7 View Post
Why do you say it like it's a good thing? Why do people accept Apple's strategy of dictating "when" you can or can't install OSes in the first place?

Because older OSes can't be supported anymore? I don't need additional support, I don't need security updates for iOS6. I just need to stick to iOS6 until iOS7.1, 7.2 or even 8.0 fixes the problems of iOS7. If I want to install a legacy OS with all the possible downsides because the upsides justify it for me (a proper music app), who are Apple to say no?
It's their product. They can do whatever they want, including preventing downgrading. When you purchased the device and made your Apple ID, you made an agreement with Apple. You have the choice to not agree with Apple by not signing up for an Apple ID or simply not upgrading in the first place.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8.1 | Verizon | Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8.1

chrf097 is offline   1
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:26 AM   #68
sflomenb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Newark, DE
No. Why would Apple allow people who have the latest and greatest OS to downgrade? Bad idea. Regardless, Apple wouldn't do it.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus, 64 GB, Space Gray (Prev 3G, 4s and 5s) | iPad Air with Cellular, 64 GB, Space Gray | MacBook Air, 13", mid-2013, ultimate | iMac, 27", late 2009
sflomenb is offline   0
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:32 AM   #69
Crazy Badger
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Scotland
Given all the complains (at least on here) I'm surprised Apple hasn't opened up the facility to downgrade if people really feel that strongly.
__________________
2013 MBA 13/1.7/8 2011 iMac 27/2.7/32 iPhone6 iPad rMini & 2 aTV2 & 3 16TB FreeNAS
Canon 5D Mk2, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS Mk1, 24-105mm f/4 L IS, 50mm f/1.4
Crazy Badger is offline   0
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:40 AM   #70
SakuraSuki
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Allowing downgrade = heavier fragmentation. Apple has done a superb job limiting fragmentation in it's devices. Allowing a downgrade to iOS 6 would just break everything up. Besides, already >50% of people are on iOS 7.
So I other words, iOS has lesser fragmentation because if Apple forcing everyone stay in latest OS? Every time you hear Cook say how much people willing upgrading to latest OS and comparing it with Android. What he does not say is how many people also wants to downgrade.

I still have trouble to see how allowing downgrade could break everyone up. App developer usually offer compatibility down to iOS 5, beside iOS now offers last compatibility mode, users can get the version works on older OS. If a user chose to downgrade, it also means he/she willing to use older version of apps.
SakuraSuki is offline   0
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:41 AM   #71
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamagotchi View Post
Can someone explain why they voted no, and chose to restrict other people's rights to downgrade?
Look at it this way, the more people on iOS7 the quicker bugs get noticed and fixed. So why should you restrict the pace development of the OS I use.

Know what you have the right to do? Not upgrade until you're sure you want it.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   1
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:59 AM   #72
me7
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Allowing downgrade = heavier fragmentation. Apple has done a superb job limiting fragmentation in it's devices. Allowing a downgrade to iOS 6 would just break everything up. Besides, already >50% of people are on iOS 7.
It wouldn't break anything. The only thing it would cause is mass downgrades to iOS6 because iOS7 still feels like alpha version software, it would cause bad press for Apple. Right now, Apple can smuggishly claim that iOS7 isn't a disaster like Windows Vista was, because nobody downgrades to iOS6 like people downgraded to Windows XP. Everyone is happy in iOS7 land because our glorious leader Tim Cook dictates that we are happy with iOS7.
Gee, I wonder what would happen if people actually had the option to downgrade...

Let's assume for a moment that Apple's choice to not allow downgrades is really based on best intentions, that supporting devices with both, iOS6 and iOS7, is really such a burden. They make 450$ (220%) profit off every 16GB iPhone they sell. They produce them for 200$ a piece and sell them for 650$ (source: http://business.time.com/2013/09/25/...-costs-at-191/ ).
I find it impossible to believe that paying a few developers extra to continue support for iOS6 is such a burden for them. They know in what a bad shape iOS7 is. It has leaked that they pulled developers from MacOS to iOS because iOS7 wasn't on track. Pulling the plug on iOS6 installations in parallel to the release of the faulty iOS7 is a dick move, nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
It's their product. They can do whatever they want, including preventing downgrading. When you purchased the device and made your Apple ID, you made an agreement with Apple. You have the choice to not agree with Apple by not signing up for an Apple ID or simply not upgrading in the first place.
Doesn't it mean anything that I paid 400€ for my iPod? How can they do to it whatever they want to? Especially release an "update" that cripples the device's main functionality (management of large music collection) and deny me the option to revert to a functioning version for no good reason.

Last edited by me7; Oct 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
me7 is offline   1
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:12 AM   #73
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by me7 View Post
Gee, I wonder what would happen if people actually had the option to downgrade...
People would find something else to bitch about. Things like why didn't the 4S get AirDrop or that it shouldn't have been hard to put Control Center on iOS6.

Quote:
Doesn't it mean anything that I paid 400€ for my iPod? How can they do to it whatever they want to? Especially release an "update" that cripples the device's main functionality (management of large music collection) and deny me the option to revert to a functioning version for no good reason.
The worst part is that you had absolutely no way of knowing what iOS7 was like and what the new apps were like. Its not like MacRumors has been discussing iOS 7 since people started putting betas on their various devices. But yeah, Apple caught you completely by surprise. It's unacceptable that someone from Apple forced you to upgrade your iPad.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store

Last edited by darngooddesign; Oct 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
darngooddesign is offline   2
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:12 AM   #74
Italianblend
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Igloo
nobody is saying they were forced to upgrade. They were just forced to keep the upgrade.
__________________
@Pontifex
Our life has been saved by the blood of Christ. Let us always be renewed by this love.
From the cross, Christ teaches us to love even those who do not love us.
Italianblend is offline   2
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:21 AM   #75
pickaxe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Hahaha, I just knew the users here would prefer having less options for the benefit of the company they paid good money for it. Least shocking poll results ever!
pickaxe is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Highlights iOS 7 Features for Business and Education Users MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 78 Aug 22, 2013 07:21 PM
If Apple release a 4.8~5-inch iPhone 5S will you Android users return to iOS? raptorstv Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 152 Jan 6, 2013 01:47 PM
Do you think Apple will ever let users change default applications in iOS? quietstormSD iPhone 28 Aug 18, 2012 06:16 PM
Hypothetical: What if Apple made 2 versions of iOS with one for advanced users? Calidude iOS 6 62 Jul 6, 2012 07:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC