Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 3, 2013, 01:34 PM   #1
quagmire
macrumors 603

Shots fired at the US Capitol

Watching CNN, there were shots fired on the Senate side of the US Capitol building.

According to Harry Reid, one person is injured.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 01:42 PM   #2
MyMac1976
Banned

Thats BAD!!

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news...-lockdown?lite

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24392014
MyMac1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:07 PM   #3
bradl
macrumors 68020

AP, NPR, and Reuters are reporting all clear now, with the lockdown lifted.

BL.
bradl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:09 PM   #4
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
News reports all all reporting different details right now. Fox News makes me think this is not related to the shutdown. [Link]

Quote:
Senior congressional staffers and one eyewitness told Fox News the incident began with a car chase, which came to a stop near the Capitol building. Sources said several police cars were in pursuit. When they boxed in the other vehicle, the driver got out and five or six shots were fired, sources said.

Witnesses saw a baby being taken from the car.
Fox is the only outlet I've seen reporting this so far. Other outlets are reporting that one or more police officers are injured.

--------------------------------

One more thing. The Capitol Police, while not furloughed because of the shutdown, are not being paid.

Quote:
The Capitol Police responding to the incident were not furloughed by the government shutdown (they're essential employees). But they are not currently being paid, along with the rest of non-furloughed government staff.
SwiftLives is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:12 PM   #5
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftLives View Post
News reports all all reporting different details right now. Fox News makes me think this is not related to the shutdown. [Link]

Fox is the only outlet I've seen reporting this so far. Other outlets are reporting that one or more police officers are injured.
Fresh, Fast, First! And screw the accuracy! Anything to get people to come to our site!

That's the problem here. I'd rather wait until the investigation is at least starting to get facts uncovered.

But then again, when has Fox News been one to discover, report, or rely on facts?

BL.
bradl is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:15 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Fresh, Fast, First! And screw the accuracy! Anything to get people to come to our site!

That's the problem here. I'd rather wait until the investigation is at least starting to get facts uncovered.

But then again, when has Fox News been one to discover, report, or rely on facts?

BL.
Please, none of the major news outlets are particularly accurate when reporting breaking news. They all want to be first, and accuracy be damned.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:16 PM   #7
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
Quote:

BL.
In terms of breaking news, I don't think Fox News is the only one who can be blamed for reporting on unverified information.
SwiftLives is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:17 PM   #8
localoid
macrumors 68020

NBC News’ Pete Williams is reporting that this incident began when an auto tried to breach security at the White House. Secret Service pursued the car some 12 or so blocks to the vicinity of the Capitol where gun shots were exchanged (at corner of 2nd and Constitution). The shooter is in custody. Police officer reported shot or injured.

Last edited by localoid; Oct 3, 2013 at 02:29 PM.
localoid is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:22 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
In terms of breaking news, I don't think Fox News is the only one who can be blamed for reporting on unverified information.
Agreed. But lets not let facts get in the way of bradl's irrational rant.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:33 PM   #10
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed. But lets not let facts get in the way of bradl's irrational rant.
Am I being irrational? Seriously, think about it.

In the life of the 24-hour news cycle, how many times has a story been run, then had to be edited and corrected because more and more facts had come in that were contradictory to the report that was originally run?

When it comes to journalism, the facts are more important than being first to report them. and with the 24-hour news cycle that MSNBC, CNN, Fox, etc. have, that integral part seems to get thrown out the window. In my opinion, accuracy and journalistic integrity should be more important than how many visits to your site you get.

So I say again, Fresh, Fast, First, and screw the accuracy. That's what they are doing nowadays, instead of waiting for the facts to come in first.

BL.
bradl is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:40 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:

In the life of the 24-hour news cycle, how many times has a story been run, then had to be edited and corrected because more and more facts had come in that were contradictory to the report that was originally run?

When it comes to journalism, the facts are more important than being first to report them. and with the 24-hour news cycle that MSNBC, CNN, Fox, etc. have, that integral part seems to get thrown out the window. In my opinion, accuracy and journalistic integrity should be more important than how many visits to your site you get.

So I say again, Fresh, Fast, First, and screw the accuracy. That's what they are doing nowadays, instead of waiting for the facts to come in first.

BL.
When you only pick out Fox News, like you did in your first post, without acknowledging that it a problem with the entire industry then you are either disingenuous or irrational.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:43 PM   #12
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
... So I say again, Fresh, Fast, First, and screw the accuracy. That's what they are doing nowadays, instead of waiting for the facts to come in first.

BL.
"Facts" come in well after the event is over and done (hours or days afterwards). Unverified "reports" come in from various sources soon after the event unfolds, which may or may not be accurate.

If you want "facts", then watch tomorrow's news.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:55 PM   #13
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
When you only pick out Fox News, like you did in your first post, without acknowledging that it a problem with the entire industry then you are either disingenuous or irrational.
When it comes to Fox News, you can't really classify them as truth or accurate, especially after Jane Akre. Their results speak for themselves.

Yes, the entire industry does have a problem with it. mea culpla on that. But anything Fox does say is taken with a grain of salt, and as of lately, enough salt to salinate an ocean.

Back on topic. Now that more outlets are starting to report in and concur with the same thing from police reports, now the initial report is verified. Again, you can't take what Fox totally says as the truth. no matter how much you are calling my post irrational or not.

BL.
bradl is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

I'll avoid the discussion...just what is being reported now...my local news station...

Woman tried to pass through a barricade at the White House.

Confronted by uniformed Secret Service, she took off toward the Capital.

Much was made of her having run through RED LIGHTS!

A Capital Police Officer was injured...hit by her car.

Shots fired...driver was killed. And there was a child in the car with her.

And a whole lot of babbling since that is all that is (currently) known factually.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 03:09 PM   #15
palmerc2
macrumors 65816

But wait....DC is a gun free zone. Hmmmm.....
Old Oct 3, 2013, 03:12 PM   #16
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerc2 View Post
It hasn't been for a while now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...ct_of_Columbia

Ban was struck down in the Heller decision in 2008.

But your argument is ridiculous anyway. The Navy Yard sure as **** wasn't gun-free.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 03:21 PM   #17
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
It hasn't been for a while now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...ct_of_Columbia

Ban was struck down in the Heller decision in 2008.

But your argument is ridiculous anyway. The Navy Yard sure as **** wasn't gun-free.
How many armed people were at the Navy Yard?
webbuzz is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 03:24 PM   #18
MyMac1976
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
The guards..

People forget that that people don't walk around armed at a military base.
MyMac1976 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 03:24 PM   #19
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMac1976 View Post
The guards..

People forget that that people don't walk around armed at a military base.
Correct.
webbuzz is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 03:25 PM   #20
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
More than 0. And not only that, they were trained guards, not random civilians.

Old Oct 3, 2013, 03:30 PM   #21
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I think it was one guard.

Also, concealed/open carry is not legal in D.C..

----------

Quote:

That was after the fact, nice try.
webbuzz is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 03:34 PM   #22
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
+1

Quote:
Only by only blaming Fox. If you blamed all the news networks it'd have been a fair point.

Quote:
More than most places as it's a military base...
Old Oct 3, 2013, 03:48 PM   #23
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerc2 View Post
What does this have to do with cops opening fire on a person in a car? They're saying now that the cops were the only ones shooting and that the woman in the car wasn't armed. Probably on drugs or having some type of mental issue, but that shouldn't give cops a right to shoot to kill.

Typical trigger happy American police. Shoot first, ask questions later. What happened to stop sticks/spinning the driver out/boxing her car in/blowing out her tires before using lethal force?

CNN has video of the incident now. The cops did a piss poor job of blocking her car in. The cops were standing 3 feet from the car and they couldn't see there was a baby in the car before they started shooting? Were the cops wearing blindfolds?? Pathetic botched situation by these cops.
zioxide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 04:01 PM   #24
Peace
macrumors P6

I just watched the CNN video. The car was stopped with 6 or 7 cops pointing their guns at her. She backed up and drove away then the cops started shooting at her.

I don't understand why they didn't just shoot the tires out instead of trying to shoot at her.
Peace is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 04:09 PM   #25
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I just watched the CNN video. The car was stopped with 6 or 7 cops pointing their guns at her. She backed up and drove away then the cops started shooting at her.

I don't understand why they didn't just shoot the tires out instead of trying to shoot at her.
Yeah. Or do a better job of boxing her car in. The cops did a piss poor job all around in this situation.

I mean it's obvious she shouldn't have been trying to run away from the cops, but we don't know what she was thinking at that point.

When did running from the cops become grounds for using lethal force? I've never seen a police chase where the cops were allowed to open fire using lethal force simply because a car started running from them.

That little girl is now going to grow up without a mom because the cops failed to defuse the situation.. they escalated it instead. They're lucky they didn't hit any innocent bystanders like those cops in that incident in NYC did a few weeks ago.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues