Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toomuchrock

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Okay guys someone help me out. I bought a 15" PowerBook from Craigslist a month ago and everything is swell. The guy said the iLife 05 installer was on the computer so I was dandy with that. Everything works as excepted, except for GarageBand. Unfortunately GarageBand is the only installer NOT in the iLife folder he left me. Doh!

GarageBand says:

"The Instrument File is invalid. GarageBand expects a valid Instrument Library folder in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand. Please choose a valid Instrument Library folder or quit and re-install GarageBand."

Well I looked and there was no GarageBand folder there. So I tossed in the entire GarageBand folder from my G5 (which includes the Instrument Library Folder and in turn the Plug-In Settings, Sampler, and Track Settings folders).

However this didn't cut it and I get the same message. So:

1) What files should be where and could I just copy all of 'em from my G5 over?

2) Is there a way to download an upgrade that might fix this application (yeah it's already 2.0.2)?

3) Well you know what 3 is. And since this isn't #warez, get in touch if you can help.

Thanks,

SiD

theoryofentropy

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Same problem

I have been having the same issue lately. I installed a new hard drive in my 13" MacBook and reinstalled Leopard on it. I copied all of my application, including GarageBand onto the new hard drive. Well when I tried to use GarageBand, it gave me the same error. I installed it from iLife, but that didn't seem to make any difference. The loops, samples, and so forth folders were in there, unpackaged from the installer, but apparently, those have nothing to do with the instrument library.
Very strange... I'm going to figure it out and when I do, I'll let you know.

B

BobbyGS

Same problem

I have exactly the same problem, I installed Leopard on My Macbook Pro and transfered Garageband with an external Hard- Drive but it wont work so i was wondering wether you worked it out. unfortunatly i dont have install discs for Garageband as it came with the OSX Tiger Install discs for my Mac. Any help much apreciated

Atomic Dude

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
ive got a similar prob about a couple months ago when my macbook broke down (actually it wouldn't even start - just a blue screen and a round thing that turns clockwise) Anyway i went to an 'authorized' (my ass) apple store to fix it for me.

I told the technician guy specifcally not to format it, if he cant fix it, since i had many apps/movies/music installed on it and i dont want to download them all over again, but despite what i told him that moron formatted my hard drive and made my dad pay $40 while i was in school :mad: (the alternative number i gave him was my dad's).

I could've done the formatting and reinstall leopard by myself but that f***ing retard thought im a retard. Anyway when i opened my macbook i noticed that there are some ilife apps missing , including garageband and iphoto (wtf), and instead of actually checking for any missing apps the bastard put a folder called 'apps' (which i then called 'Bull**** for 40 bucks' to remind me not go to a apple store with uneducated retards) with trial (omg) programs in it.

How did i fix this you say? 1st flipped off the moron in apple store..then used time machine (from my cousin's timecapsule) to get my ilife apps back. But it only worked on iphoto. Now everytime i open garageband i get the same error. THIS IS BULL****

Apple needs to educate their employees and not just let an a55 hole jerk-off while fixing a macbook.:D

ajromanles

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
go to this link and click download this torrent. The file will say appleloops drag that file to MAC HDD then drag it to your library then drag it to the application support folder then open garageband and click chose then go to the application support folder then click garageband and click the apple loops and garageband should work

heres the link http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4104426/Apple_Loops

ajromanles

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
ive got a similar prob about a couple months ago when my macbook broke down (actually it wouldn't even start - just a blue screen and a round thing that turns clockwise) Anyway i went to an 'authorized' (my ass) apple store to fix it for me.

I told the technician guy specifcally not to format it, if he cant fix it, since i had many apps/movies/music installed on it and i dont want to download them all over again, but despite what i told him that moron formatted my hard drive and made my dad pay $40 while i was in school :mad: (the alternative number i gave him was my dad's).

I could've done the formatting and reinstall leopard by myself but that f***ing retard thought im a retard. Anyway when i opened my macbook i noticed that there are some ilife apps missing , including garageband and iphoto (wtf), and instead of actually checking for any missing apps the bastard put a folder called 'apps' (which i then called 'Bull**** for 40 bucks' to remind me not go to a apple store with uneducated retards) with trial (omg) programs in it.

How did i fix this you say? 1st flipped off the moron in apple store..then used time machine (from my cousin's timecapsule) to get my ilife apps back. But it only worked on iphoto. Now everytime i open garageband i get the same error. THIS IS BULL****

Apple needs to educate their employees and not just let an a55 hole jerk-off while fixing a macbook.:D[/QU

aquafunk

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009

I could've done the formatting and reinstall leopard by myself but that ********** retard thought im a retard. Anyway when i opened my macbook i noticed that there are some ilife apps missing , including garageband and iphoto (wtf), and instead of actually checking for any missing apps the bastard put a folder called 'apps' (which i then called '************ for 40 bucks' to remind me not go to a apple store with uneducated retards) with trial (omg) programs in it.

How did i fix this you say? 1st flipped off the moron in apple store..then used time machine (from my cousin's timecapsule) to get my ilife apps back. But it only worked on iphoto. Now everytime i open garageband i get the same error. THIS IS ************

Apple needs to educate their employees and not just let an a55 hole jerk-off while fixing a macbook.:D[/QU

As much as that sucks kid, you were the one naive enough to bring it to them and not expect them to wipe it. Computer "repair" people ALWAYS reformat. Especially if your computer wouldn't even start, you are the idiot for expecting anything less. They don't care about your files.

Anyway, this is OT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.