Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
When giving away (ie: selling) or sending a phone in for repair, Apple states that you must either:

1) Turn off Find my iPhone and sign out of iCloud
or
2) Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

If I forget to do the above, Apple says I can also go to icloud.com/find and remotely erase and remove the device from there.

My question is: if I don't have access to a PC or Mac, can I log onto the Find my iPhone app from a different device, and choose "Erase Device"? Will this remove the Activation Lock as well? In other words, if I choose to erase my device from the Find my iPhone app, the user won't need my Apple ID to activate the device?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
no, go to icloud in your device and turn it off from there. then perform the full erase. then when it boots up, try to access the main screen without entering any credentials. then you should be all set.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
no, go to icloud in your device and turn it off from there. then perform the full erase. then when it boots up, try to access the main screen without entering any credentials. then you should be all set.

Apple's support page says to do the erase first though:
If the previous owner is not present
Make sure the device is powered on and connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network. Then contact the previous owner and ask them to follow these steps:

- Sign in to their iCloud account at http://www.icloud.com/find.
- Select the device from their Find My iPhone device list by clicking All Devices at the top of the screen.
- Erase the device by clicking the Erase button. This will erase all content and settings from the device. When prompted, do not enter a phone number or message. Click Next until the device is erased.
- When the erase is complete, click "Remove from Account" to remove the device from the account.
Isn't this possible to do with the Find my iPhone app?

Can't I just erase it and then swipe left to remove the device from the "My Devices" list?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
they perform that step of deleting their device from their list from within itunes

when i go to wipe my phone, i need to log out of find my iphone first, then wipe. after that, i go into the remove devices list and delete it.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
I'm pretty sure you can do it from within the Find my iPhone app tho.

This screenshot online shows what I mean. You can swipe left to remove your device. So it seems like you are able to do this on either iCloud.com or through the Find my iPhone app, which is handy if you don't have access to a computer. I am going to give it a try.

Find-my-iPhone-Remove-Device.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.