Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 2, 2005, 05:03 PM   #1
human657
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Apple fixed my ibook G3-- Sell or Keep?

Lucked out with Apple customer service. They brought my almost 4 year old ibook G3 600 mhz back from the dead.


it now has:

a new 30 gig hard drive (90 day apple warranty)

a new combo drive (90 day warranty)

new keyboard

new logic board

640 ram (also new)

a three month old battery

airport card

running on tiger

it looks great save for one tiny crack in the case next to the door of the dvd/crw drive and the normal cosmetic scrateches on the outside of the case.

everything else has been checked out by the apple techs and is in great shape. since so many of the parts are new (and the ram upgrade is recent as well) its actually running better than it did when I first got it.

I have the money for a new machine. should I

a)sell the new/old ibook on ebay (similar models are going for 400 plus especially with the airport and maxed out ram and the receipts for the 90 day warranty from apple technicians). I could then buy a new ibook refurb from apple for 800 or so to use as my primary computer

or

b) keep this puppy as a portable companion to a new iMac which would cost about 1200--- although I'd likely wait for MWSF to swee what happens with those mini's

I am grad student. mostly word processing though I use pretty ram heavy bibliography software and do a fair ammount of audio editing which is a bit beyond the capacity of the current machine. I "have" the money b/c of student loans. whatever I get needs to last me through the next 3-4 years till I'm done with my dissertations.

advice????
human657 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Jschultz
macrumors 6502a
 
Jschultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Send a message via AIM to Jschultz
If you NEED to do audio work, then go for a new iBook. Otherwise, i'd keep that iBook for portable word processing and surfing, then buy an iMac for the more intense stuff.
Jschultz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 07:40 PM   #3
titangears
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
I would sell it, and buy a new iBook G4. Amazon has a sale on them right now. Depending on the model you could get $100 or $150 rebate. I bought mine last month & paid $900 (no tax, free shipping). Amazon's rebate offer lasts till Dec. 20.
__________________
iBook G4 1.33 Ghz 1.5GB RAM 80GB HDD OS X 10.5.8

Last edited by titangears; Dec 2, 2005 at 07:47 PM.
titangears is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 07:58 PM   #4
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5
 
CanadaRAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
Are you fooling, people? A G3 iBook gets poor resale value, even if it is practically new. The new parts won't elevate it in price significantly. It's worth more to keep it as a travel machine, and put the money toward the iMac G5 which will be far better for audio than an iBook G4
CanadaRAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:36 PM   #5
titangears
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM
Are you fooling, people? A G3 iBook gets poor resale value, even if it is practically new. The new parts won't elevate it in price significantly. It's worth more to keep it as a travel machine, and put the money toward the iMac G5 which will be far better for audio than an iBook G4
These people are selling refurbished G3 iBooks for a good price:

http://www.expercom.com/browse_by_ca...ATEGORY_ID=279
__________________
iBook G4 1.33 Ghz 1.5GB RAM 80GB HDD OS X 10.5.8
titangears is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sell or keep my CD collection? rockworthy iPod 54 Jul 7, 2008 10:20 PM
Sell or keep for spare body? jng Digital Photography 6 Jul 19, 2007 10:54 AM
'Product not repaired' letter - Apple didn't fix my iBook! nat3503 PowerPC Macs 0 Sep 13, 2006 02:47 PM
Powerbook G4 17" - Sell or Keep dogsbody PowerPC Macs 10 Jul 20, 2006 03:25 AM
Sell or keep 15" PB for iMac? hcopp Macintosh Computers 10 Sep 1, 2004 03:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC