Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

human657

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2005
Lucked out with Apple customer service. They brought my almost 4 year old ibook G3 600 mhz back from the dead.

it now has:

a new 30 gig hard drive (90 day apple warranty)

a new combo drive (90 day warranty)

new keyboard

new logic board

640 ram (also new)

a three month old battery

airport card

running on tiger

it looks great save for one tiny crack in the case next to the door of the dvd/crw drive and the normal cosmetic scrateches on the outside of the case.

everything else has been checked out by the apple techs and is in great shape. since so many of the parts are new (and the ram upgrade is recent as well) its actually running better than it did when I first got it.

I have the money for a new machine. should I

a)sell the new/old ibook on ebay (similar models are going for 400 plus especially with the airport and maxed out ram and the receipts for the 90 day warranty from apple technicians). I could then buy a new ibook refurb from apple for 800 or so to use as my primary computer

or

b) keep this puppy as a portable companion to a new iMac which would cost about 1200--- although I'd likely wait for MWSF to swee what happens with those mini's

I am grad student. mostly word processing though I use pretty ram heavy bibliography software and do a fair ammount of audio editing which is a bit beyond the capacity of the current machine. I "have" the money b/c of student loans. whatever I get needs to last me through the next 3-4 years till I'm done with my dissertations.

advice????

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
If you NEED to do audio work, then go for a new iBook. Otherwise, i'd keep that iBook for portable word processing and surfing, then buy an iMac for the more intense stuff.

titangears

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2005
I would sell it, and buy a new iBook G4. Amazon has a sale on them right now. Depending on the model you could get $100 or $150 rebate. I bought mine last month & paid $900 (no tax, free shipping). Amazon's rebate offer lasts till Dec. 20.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Are you fooling, people? A G3 iBook gets poor resale value, even if it is practically new. The new parts won't elevate it in price significantly. It's worth more to keep it as a travel machine, and put the money toward the iMac G5 which will be far better for audio than an iBook G4

titangears

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
Are you fooling, people? A G3 iBook gets poor resale value, even if it is practically new. The new parts won't elevate it in price significantly. It's worth more to keep it as a travel machine, and put the money toward the iMac G5 which will be far better for audio than an iBook G4

These people are selling refurbished G3 iBooks for a good price:

http://www.expercom.com/browse_by_category.html?CATEGORY_ID=279

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.