Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben1l

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Hi, I've noticed my mac pro (4,1- 2.66ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6gb ram, SSD) struggling to play HD video in FCPX when filters or effects have been applied. I wanted to know if upgrading my graphics card will help with this problem?

I've never really understood if installing a SECOND NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 would help with this type of problem, or if installing another graphics card would just enable me to plug in more monitors?

If this is the case, can anyone recommend a replacement, but compatible graphics card that will help??

Many thanks!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Lots & Lots & Lots of thread on this very subject. Do a search, analyze the data you find, decide on how much you want to spend and viola you'll have your answer.

BTW, I will have a MVC Flashed Gigabyte GT570 in the for sale section next week. That would be a great card for you.
Lou

Ben1l

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Lots & Lots & Lots of thread on this very subject. Do a search, analyze the data you find, decide on how much you want to spend and viola you'll have your answer.

BTW, I will have a MVC Flashed Gigabyte GT570 in the for sale section next week. That would be a great card for you.
Lou

Sorry, what do you mean by flashed?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^OK, Flashed means a non Apple approved Graphics Card that has been modified to act like a real Mac Card and boots with a Mac Boot Screen.

This had proven to be a godsend to the Mac community because Macintosh approved cards are two or three generations behind what the PC world has access to.

The premier modifier for video cards for the Macintosh Pro is MacVidCards (MVC) he is a vendor here and a member of other Macintosh forums, and sells on eBay.

Lou

Ben1l

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
^^^^OK, Flashed means a non Apple approved Graphics Card that has been modified to act like a real Mac Card and boots with a Mac Boot Screen.

This had proven to be a godsend to the Mac community because Macintosh approved cards are two or three generations behind what the PC world has access to.

The premier modifier for video cards for the Macintosh Pro is MacVidCards (MVC) he is a vendor here and a member of other Macintosh forums, and sells on eBay.

Lou

Hi Lou

Thanks for your advice! Have taken the plunge and splashed out on a ATI Radeon 7950 3 GB from MacVidCards. Should arrive soon. Here's hoping it's worth it... and it works ok!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.