Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bambooshots

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
I've got an annoying problem that I didn't have with my Galaxy SIII that pertains to playing Pandora audio over Bluetooth in my car, a 2013 Honda Accord Sport. My car comes with Bluetooth audio and an integrated Pandora function on the headunit.

I used to have no problems connecting my Galaxy SIII to my car's bluetooth audio system directly (not the Pandora function) and controlling Pandora through my device and not having to use to the integrated function.

With my iPhone 5S now, whenever I connect to the Bluetooth audio system, Pandora (not sure if it's the phone app or car) forces connection to the integrated Pandora function in my vehicle, which makes it difficult to change stations, mark favorites, etc. When this happens, the "Pandora <--> Accessory screen shows up on the phone screen and really limits functionality.

I've tried turning off the Pandora function in my car but it still forces the app to go into the "Pandora <--> Accessory" screen.

Any ideas on how I can stop the app from going directly into the integrated Pandora app in my car and be able to control Pandora on my phone when it's connected to the vehicle's Bluetooth?

Kind of a long post, but thanks in advance.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i think they do this on purpose so you don't pick your phone up every few minutes to favorite something

bambooshots

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
If that's the true reason than that sucks.

How come android will let you control pandora from the phone itself but not iOS?

Is there a known workout for this issue?

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston

How come android will let you control pandora from the phone itself but not iOS?

Works fine for me. I use BT audio and not the Pandora option on my stereo. Nothing will play over BT when I'm on the Pandora section of my radio actually. No idea why.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

if i was hit by a car and i found out the idiot was thumbing up a song while driving i'd sue apple since they were complicit when honda has a system to keep your eyes on the road

Dancing Dan

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2017
if i was hit by a car and i found out the idiot was thumbing up a song while driving i'd sue apple since they were complicit when honda has a system to keep your eyes on the road

One workaround is this. Turn phone BT off / Change Setting / Turn phone BT on. That is much more likely to cause an accident, and I don't recommend doing it while driving.

But thanks to the litigious nature of people like the above commenter, some people will be compelled to do a workaround while driving in order to recapture the use of the app that the app maker was forced to eliminate because of the threat of litigation. The litigation is the problem. It forces people to do much more thumbing than they would have otherwise done.

The app makers would be able to provide a solution without the pressure of avoiding lawsuits. They're very interested in user experience. (See below).

Android has introduced driving mode to overcome this difficulty. Hopefully this will quell the nerves of the litigious.

Reactions: Junkernator

Junkernator

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2019
One workaround is this. Turn phone BT off / Change Setting / Turn phone BT on. That is much more likely to cause an accident, and I don't recommend doing it while driving.

But thanks to the litigious nature of people like the above commenter, some people will be compelled to do a workaround while driving in order to recapture the use of the app that the app maker was forced to eliminate because of the threat of litigation. The litigation is the problem. It forces people to do much more thumbing than they would have otherwise done.

The app makers would be able to provide a solution without the pressure of avoiding lawsuits. They're very interested in user experience. (See below).

Android has introduced driving mode to overcome this difficulty. Hopefully this will quell the nerves of the litigious.

I registered on macrumors just so I could like this comment. I agree 1000%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.