Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk8erboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
hmm.
i guess it all comes down to this. and finally it will be over with.

D50 vrs E300.
not E500, but the E300. [ OLYMPUS ]

any suggestions?comments?thoughts?info?
thank you again for all being supportive.
everyone benefits here =)

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
I have had very good experiences with Olympus cameras. This one looks like a very good choice, and it is about $50-60 less expensive than the D50 on Amazon. (The D50 is currently at $709 -- which seems like a great price.)

Having said that, I bought a D50 today and I'm thrilled with the camera so far. The images I've taken tonight seem a little flat -- but a quick adjustment in Photoshop makes them really pop.

Final word: there are a lot of Nikon lovers out there and they have reason to love their cameras. But if you are an amateur who happens to want good digital photographs there are a lot of good choices. My advice: go with your gut and don't look back. Buy your camera and enjoy it.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
My vote goes to the D50.... but then again, being a Nikonian, I will admit I'm a bit likely to lean in that direction. Have you read reviews on both cameras at sites such as DPreview? That can help in making a decision, as then you can compare the various points of each camera. Also Imaging-Resource usually has thoughtful reviews. Also check out the user forums on both sites, as there is where you'll get the nitty-gritty of actual real-time usage out "in the field" rather than just from a reviewer's perspective.

Whatever camera you finally get, as as already been said, just use it a lot and enjoy!

OTB

sk8erboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
thanks. alot.
i was just at the store.
and they had two deals on the d50

1.) d50+18-55mm lense + 256mb card
$769.00

or

2.) Nikon D50 6.1MP 2.0"
18-55mm & 55-200mm
$899.00

..... it seems like the clear winner is choice #2.. but can somone confirm. just for the sake of feeling comfortable?
thanks agian.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
You're definitely going to need much more than a 256 MB SD card! When you buy your camera, be sure to get at least a 512 MB, but a 1 GB is preferable.

About those lenses that are being offered with the D50: are they Nikon lenses or are they some other brand? While some lens manufacturers are pretty good with producing lenses with a Nikon mount, others are downright cheap and you would not be happy with their lenses. Check out those lenses...this might not be such a good deal after all. You'd really be best off with the Nikon D50 and the genuine "kit" lens which comes with it. Some people actually don't buy that lens, though, they opt for the "kit" lens that comes with the D70/D70s. Tamron and Tokina make fairly decent lenses and ditto for Sigma. However, in all three cases, there are some really good lenses in their lines and some not-so-good. They are significantly less expensive than a genuine Nikon lens, though, and often almost as good.

OTB

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
i've been shooting with my d50 all night... (and drinking... shhhh)

don't know a lick about this olympus thing... but GET A D50!!

did you hear me? D50!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.