Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 06:47 PM   #1
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

I hate iOS 7

This is the worst mobile OS release since... ever.

Nothing works.

- Apps constantly close out
- iMessage is a disaster (messages not being sent even when I'm connected to wi-fi)
- spring board makes me nauseous
- switching between apps (gestures) is so slow and delayed on both phone and tablet
- terrible frame rate issues when switching from landscape to portrait
- when swiping between apps in app switcher, it's super choppy
- voice recognition takes 15 seconds long to process a 4 word phrase... I could type faster than it processes.
- ugly, childish app logo designs

Lots more annoying me with this crap. Made a huge mistake downloading this... the worst part is that with the billions of dollars Apple is sitting on... they're not moving quick enough to resolve this issues... even after an update to iOS 7...
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   17
Old Oct 4, 2013, 06:50 PM   #2
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post

Nothing works.

- iMessage is a disaster (messages not being sent even when I'm connected to wi-fi)
- switching between apps (gestures) is so slow and delayed on both phone and tablet
- voice recognition takes 15 seconds long to process a 4 word phrase... I could type faster than it processes.

Lots more annoying me with this crap. Made a huge mistake downloading this... the worst part is that with the billions of dollars Apple is sitting on... they're not moving quick enough to resolve this issues... even after an update to iOS 7...
Tell us how you really feel
Old Oct 4, 2013, 06:53 PM   #3
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

pooleman pls go

But seriously - I know threads like this are probably really repetitive (I wouldn't know, though, because I don't spend enough time on these forums) but surely others can relate...

I also hate the new Photos application interface... the old one was golden.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   4
Old Oct 4, 2013, 07:08 PM   #4
r0k
macrumors 68040

Some of the things you experience might be due to using a 4S. I have iOS7 on my 5, my wife has it on her 4S and my kids have it on their 4's. My wife complains about the look being too bland but nobody is complaining about performance.

One thing you can do is go look at the list of apps that have permission to run in background (background app updates) and pare that list down dramatically. This should help performance immensely. Another thing is to weed out all the spammers in the notification center that would love to make your phone ring just to have you read an alert asking why you haven't used your little slingshot to sling your little birds at your little pigs in so long. This drove me nuts and I wound up kicking every bleeping game out of notification center and shutting down every way they could spew spam at me whether badging their icons, putting up alerts or spamming my lock screen. All gone.

If the look of iOS7 bothers you in the "stock" apps, consider a highly customizable front end like Pocket Informant.
r0k is offline   3
Old Oct 4, 2013, 07:45 PM   #5
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
I've been staying away from these conversations but I'm so frustrated with my iPad 2 that I figured I'll jump in with my 2cents.

I should have stayed on iOS 6 on my iPad 2. The only reason I updated is because I read some comments around here from members who supposedly updated an iPad 2 and said it was smooth and worked as well as iOS 6. BULL, I'm beginning to think these were just fanboys defending the OS for the sake of defending it.

On the iPad 2 it's horrendous. There's lag everywhere. Apps are constantly crashing or freezing for a long time. I believe there's simply not enough ram to run iOS 7 efficiently. Apple should have cut off support at iOS 6 for the iPad 2. At least I wish they would allow us to roll back to iOS 6. I know there are a couple of threads discussing this around here and for once I have to strongly agree with those that would like to go back to iOS 6.

My iPhone 5 is much better of course but there are a lot of bugs. My phone has spontaneously restarted 3 times, iMessages is hit or miss and the animations do slow me down. When I first saw people trying to demonstrate how an animation needs to finish before you could swipe or open an app, I thought they were being dramatic and anal about it. After using iOS 7 for a few weeks now, there have been a number of occasions where I've noticed this non responsiveness and it is a bit annoying.

I've always been an ardent believer in Apple and have given them the benefit of a doubt, but iOS 7 is not ready for prime time and I have to question some of the design decisions they made.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 07:50 PM   #6
kevpan815
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kevpan815
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowleopard osx View Post
this is the worst mobile os release since... Ever.

Nothing works.

- apps constantly close out
- imessage is a disaster (messages not being sent even when i'm connected to wi-fi)

lots more annoying me with this crap. Made a huge mistake downloading this... The worst part is that with the billions of dollars apple is sitting on... They're not moving quick enough to resolve this issues... Even after an update to ios 7...
i love ios 7!
kevpan815 is offline   8
Old Oct 4, 2013, 07:50 PM   #7
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
Tell us how you really feel
Along with about 1000 other people. The search function exists for a reason.
dannyyankou is offline   4
Old Oct 4, 2013, 08:23 PM   #8
ParanoidDroid
macrumors member

Quote:
I feel your pain! I highly doubt that Steve Jobs would have ever approved this mess if he was still alive!
ParanoidDroid is offline   7
Old Oct 4, 2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Carl Sagan
macrumors 6502a

First world problems.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Here's the thing (historically speaking) to remember.

This:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...shots/os10.jpg

...was worse than this....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...shots/os09.jpg

But boy, am I glad they started down that path.

So while I agree with a lot of the specific complaints (dear lord, speed up 7's animations!), I have to wholehardily disagree with the concept of complaining about iSO7.

It's the right move for Apple. iOS 8 and 9 are going to be amazing and there's no way to get there without going through this first. There just isn't. (I feel like many people around here these days didn't live through Puma and Jaguar. They just think Mac OS X was always awesome.)

So this is not me defending iOS 7, but rather saying that I understand iOS 7. I'll be glad once we move on, but I don't quite feel right complaining about it right now.
Small White Car is offline   26
Old Oct 4, 2013, 08:57 PM   #11
ParanoidDroid
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
It's the right move for Apple. iOS 8 and 9 are going to be amazing and there's no way to get there without going through this first. There just isn't. (I feel like many people around here these days didn't live through Puma and Jaguar. They just think Mac OS X was always awesome.)
Good grief, this iOS7 color madness will spread like cancer into other systems...

I really don't want to see the iOS7 plague infecting the upcoming OS X 10.10 (codenamed Syrah). If the desktop will get as ugly as iOS7 is now already, then this will be the end of my eye sight!

AAAAAH! What can we do to stop this pandemic!
ParanoidDroid is offline   5
Old Oct 4, 2013, 09:32 PM   #12
odin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblogger View Post
I should have stayed on iOS 6 on my iPad 2. The only reason I updated is because I read some comments around here from members who supposedly updated an iPad 2 and said it was smooth and worked as well as iOS 6. BULL, I'm beginning to think these were just fanboys defending the OS for the sake of defending it.
I have an iPad 2 and have zero complaints. I've had no more crashes on it than I have my iPhone 5. I've had only one instance of "lag" that is repeatable. Otherwise I have no complaints about it. (The lag is when swapping apps, it doesn't register a tap before the animation is complete.)

Definitely NOT a fanboy and not defending the OS. I do find it acceptable. I think it's a huge step in the right direction. I am seeing it as something that will be filled out quickly. Nothing I used before am I missing now that I've noticed on a day to day use.
odin is offline   2
Old Oct 4, 2013, 09:41 PM   #13
ParanoidDroid
macrumors member

I think iOS 7 marks the beginning of the end.

Larry Ellison predicted dark days ahead for Apple in a recent interview. Without Steve Jobs more things like Apple Maps and iOS7 will happen...

The end is nigh!

is as safe as Titanic was!

Last edited by ParanoidDroid; Oct 4, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
ParanoidDroid is offline   8
Old Oct 4, 2013, 09:48 PM   #14
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Cant really feel bad for those of you who upgraded and now hate it. Within a day of release there were many warning about upgrading especially on iPads.

Best Apple rule of thumb....

ALWAYS WAIT AT LEAST 1 MONTH BEFORE DECIDING TO UPGRADE.
ZipZap is offline   1
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:05 PM   #15
odin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidDroid View Post

Larry Ellison predicted dark days ahead for Apple in a recent interview. Without Steve Jobs more things like Apple Maps and iOS7 will happen...

The end is nigh!

*yawn* Nothing better to do? Good old Larry has predicted Apple's death from the time before Steve came back, from the time while Steve was there, and now after death. Uncle Larry knows databases and not much else.
odin is offline   6
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:57 PM   #16
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

Quote:

The end is nigh!

ParinoidDroid, the username says it all.
dannyyankou is offline   5
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:59 AM   #17
JohnnyIOS
Banned

Quote:

Nothing works.

I feel the same. If something works, why change it. Ive may be a good designer but as far as software is concerned he sucks. What's with all the white?! Seriously... The iphone 5S is nice but I wish it had ios 6.
JohnnyIOS is offline   6
Old Oct 5, 2013, 01:14 AM   #18
MisterPunchy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Here's the thing (historically speaking) to remember.

This:

...was worse than this....

But boy, am I glad they started down that path.

So while I agree with a lot of the specific complaints (dear lord, speed up 7's animations!), I have to wholehardily disagree with the concept of complaining about iSO7.

So this is not me defending iOS 7, but rather saying that I understand iOS 7. I'll be glad once we move on, but I don't quite feel right complaining about it right now.
Well, I happen to really like ios7, probably for the reasons you've so eloquently and insightfully laid out here. Well said. It's imperfect, but a really important and essential step in a new direction that really needs to be taken. This is what Apple does. This is bold innovation. This is Steve's famous, "People don't know what they want until we show it to them." We'll all fuss about it for a while - like we so often have before. And in the end, there will be haters. Android and PC and Windows lovers aplenty. But there will also be the faithful followers who appreciate Apple taking us places we didn't yet know that we should go.

Last edited by MisterPunchy; Oct 5, 2013 at 01:23 AM.
MisterPunchy is offline   5
Old Oct 5, 2013, 01:27 AM   #19
Mebsat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Good grief, this iOS7 color madness will spread like cancer into other systems...

I really don't want to see the iOS7 plague infecting the upcoming OS X 10.10 (codenamed Syrah). If the desktop will get as ugly as iOS7 is now already, then this will be the end of my eye sight!

AAAAAH! What can we do to stop this pandemic!
Make it clear to Apple that you as a long time customer are changing how you feel about the company.
They live and die on customer satisfaction and rely on us buying more and more. If they can no longer rely on the loyalists, they are in deep trouble.

For me, iOS 7 is a huge warning of what is to come. Ive is incompetent in UI design and if he is turning his attention to OSX next, then the platform and ecosystem will suffer greatly.

In our house, iOS 7 has completely eliminated 2 imminent purchases: a new iPhone for my wife and what I assume is coming: the retina iPad mini.

I am very disappointed by making these decisions, but since Apple has thrown out 6 years of usability and replaced it with a pathetic beta, I just don't look at them as the same company. And now I simply don't desire their products. It's made worse by the fact that I have come to rely on my iOS devices and don't really see many close seconds (to iOS 6) in the market to replace them.

Now Apple just yanks the rug out and prevents you from restoring your own property back to a usable state, when it would be so easy for them to support iOS 6 alongside 7. Instead, they have simply become abusive to their customers and are becoming more and more a company that deserves neither respect nor customer loyalty.

I am glad to see that Mavericks looks to have mostly escaped the Ive touch, and there is at least time to manage a transition away from OS X if necessary.
Mebsat is offline   8
Old Oct 5, 2013, 01:29 AM   #20
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 rock and without a shadow of a doubt I can say that it is the best iOS for me.
But I have yet to try it on iPad so my experience is related only to iPhone use.

PS: 2 things are really impossible in this universe
1- To break the speed of light.
2- To please all the humans of planed earth
Old Oct 5, 2013, 01:49 AM   #21
psejcf
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyIOS View Post
I feel the same. If something works, why change it. Ive may be a good designer but as far as software is concerned he sucks. What's with all the white?!
The white is to kick Samsung and other copycats from ripping off Apple's design outright. Apple devices use LCD, where white consumes lesser power than black. The flagship Samsung devices use OLED/AMOLED, where white consumes more power than black. So if Samsung copies this straight, without any changes, its devices would suffer from poorer battery life.

---

On topic for the thread, Apple has shown in most instances that it will not budge from the path it embarks on, regardless of some users being unhappy and throwing tantrums on online forums about not buying another Apple device. So I'd suggest either waiting for iOS 7 to be more stable (which is more important) or waiting for every other smartphone to come up with similar designs so that there's no better choice than Apple. :P

Anyway, no major UI design changes will come to iOS for the next few years (after all, it took several years and an executive ouster to move from the skeuomorphic designs in iOS).
Old Oct 5, 2013, 01:51 AM   #22
MisterPunchy
macrumors member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsat View Post
Make it clear to Apple that you as a long time customer are changing how you feel about the company.
They live and die on customer satisfaction and rely on us buying more and more. If they can no longer rely on the loyalists, they are in deep trouble.

For me, iOS 7 is a huge warning of what is to come. Ive is incompetent in UI design and if he is turning his attention to OSX next, then the platform and ecosystem will suffer greatly.

In our house, iOS 7 has completely eliminated 2 imminent purchases: a new iPhone for my wife and what I assume is coming: the retina iPad mini.

I am very disappointed by making these decisions, but since Apple has thrown out 6 years of usability and replaced it with a pathetic beta, I just don't look at them as the same company. And now I simply don't desire their products. It's made worse by the fact that I have come to rely on my iOS devices and don't really see many close seconds (to iOS 6) in the market to replace them.

Now Apple just yanks the rug out and prevents you from restoring your own property back to a usable state, when it would be so easy for them to support iOS 6 alongside 7. Instead, they have simply become abusive to their customers and are becoming more and more a company that deserves neither respect nor customer loyalty.

I am glad to see that Mavericks looks to have mostly escaped the Ive touch, and there is at least time to manage a transition away from OS X if necessary.
You should TOTALLY bail and buy a Nokia or something. Serious. That's the platform for you.
MisterPunchy is offline   4
Old Oct 5, 2013, 02:13 AM   #23
musio
macrumors 68000

I hate iOS 7

iOS 7 is very inconsistent which cannot be argued with. I have a seen quite a few different keyboard colours for instance. Baby's love ios as of the color scheme. Very bright.
musio is offline   4
Old Oct 5, 2013, 02:31 AM   #24
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a

I like ios 7 features, but not a fan of ios 7 design
Old Oct 5, 2013, 02:43 AM   #25
MisterPunchy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Stoychev View Post
I like ios 7 features, but not a fan of ios 7 design
I like the features and the design. But that doesn't matter, because it's contrary to the dissenting minority position, which always wins the day because it's the most outspoken and controversial, which our petulant, narcissistic culture interprets as "cool" and "bold", and therefore accurate.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by musio View Post
iOS 7 is very inconsistent which cannot be argued with. I have a seen quite a few different keyboard colours for instance. Baby's love ios as of the color scheme. Very bright.
So get a blackberry. It's very consistently black and professional for very serious and self-important people. They're cheap now, too.
MisterPunchy is offline   10

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland