Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
I used a iMac DV G3 400Mhz as my main unit from 1999 to just about a year ago. It'll do the job. I think you paid about what it is worth. I would reccomend upgrading the RAM to somewhere around 512MB (atleast replace the 64MB chip with a 256MB if you want to save a buck) and you should probably put OS X on it to, unless you want to lose ur mind. I presonally can't stand OS 9 anymore, but if this is ur first Mac you might not care. Still, OS X came out in 01 and you should probably be running it if you want any software to work on it.

Anyway, it's a reliable computer and I hope it continues to work for you!

kammron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2005
Calgary Alberta
thanks.
yeah for my first mac i dont mind os 9, but my pc resembeles tiger so much that using os 9 is
gonna be annoying.
i intend to go tiger or panther in the next month, just depends on if i get the extra ram like you said.
its just being used for school etc, so i think the appearenc of panther will do fine, and all the programs i need will run.
1 question... can you clear the hard drive of every thing and install a full version of os x?
or do you need os 9 there to boot up?

Cheese

macrumors 6502
As you can see from my sig, I have the same machine as you. I agree with Jedi in every way. OSX rocks on the DV400. You don't have to run OS9. I am running 10.2 on the DV, & 10.3 on the G5. Both are awesome. I have recently read another thread where another noob is asking about what is needed to be done to run Tiger on his CRT iMac. You'll find it in the forums, and I believe you'll find it most helpful. 512 wil make the DV run silently along at it's once warp speed on Tiger, but I have 256 along side my factory installed 64 chip. It has been a really cheap way to get it to run most apps. I would suggest an external Firewire HD too if you plan on loading lots of audio or video files. I don't know if it will run Garageband though, and I would like to know if there is a way to do just that. iTunes, and iPod interface works sweet too. I even use it for folding! In my opinion, the DV still rocks.

kammron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2005
Calgary Alberta
Agreed.
its one sweet looking unit if anything.
so if i was to buy a full version of panther o tiger on ebay for example, i could wipe my HD clean and just install os x on it from scratch...
yah id probably get either an external HD or cd/dvd writer.
i might just use my ipod as an external HD, mostley for transferring things over from my pc.
right now im sitting at 192megs ram, i'll probably swap the aftermarket 64meg for a 128 or higher.
keep it simple...:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.