Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ultraspiracle

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I thought I saw a post about this some time ago on here but I can't find it. Wondering if anyone else sees this. When you open a new finder tab and drag to the desktop to create a new finder window, the little thumbnail preview stays on the desktop.

Was apparent in DP8 and also the GM. Don't remember if it was in any of the previous betas before DP8. Screen Shot tiny finder.jpg

ultraspiracle

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Finder thumbnail bug is a per-user problem on my machine

This appears to be tied to my user account. Anyone help with how to troubleshoot? I log off and back on as a different user and do not see the little finder window artifact.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Does it stay as thumbnail or does it eventually open a new window? I tried replicating it but what happens for me is it looks like it'll get stuck but there is a 1 second delay where the thumbnail turns into a new window. Pretty sure this will get fixed (along with a lot of desktop related bugs/annoyances I've noticed).

ultraspiracle

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
It stays on the desktop. The problem comes and goes...I'm using XtraFinder so it's not a big deal, but I "want" to like the OEM finder...

BafS

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
Eu
I have exactly the same bug on my osx.

System Version: OS X 10.9 (13A598)
Kernel Version: Darwin 13.0.0

ylachance

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
Hi, I also have the same bug. I know that this is account specific but can not find how to resolve the issue.

ultraspiracle

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
It seems to have disappeared from my system...have no idea what is going on with it.

Now I've probably cursed it.

ultraspiracle

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Several dev. people have filed it as a bug with Apple developer, so they know about the issue.

growbot

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2014
Using FORCE QUIT to restart Finder clears the icons.
right clicking on the tab and selecting 'move tab to new window' avoids the problem.

Apple has known about this for a long time.

winterfresh

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
This bug is still a problem for me in macOS Sierra 10.12.2. Over three years and this bug still isn't fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.