Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
I wouldn't expect a change in screen size
They certainly won't change the aspect ratio

I suppose they could add cell phone capability to the iPad mini, but I don't think that's likely either

Kemonsterr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
California!
Apples not one to conform to what others are doing. They'll do their own thing. If they make a bigger screen, it won't be marginally bigger. I like the size on the iPhones, why on earth do we need big screens?

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I think it's possible they keep the 4 inch screen on one of the models. I think they will release a bigger model and a model the same size we have now.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If the iphone 6 has the same screen size tons of folks around here will gripe but when it launches it will say 9 mil by itself on launch weekend etc because the masses won't care.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Whatever physical size the screen might be, I'd like to see standard resolutions like 1280x720 or 1600x900, because most content is produced that way.

I don't believe in software/hardware scalers (via textures, etc.).

I like the smaller form factor, but I can see people like to see bigger ones.
They hopefully don't go down the Samsung route with regards to fragmented lines of devices.

They can decide what they think is reasonable, but please be consistent between phones and tablets.

Although my first remark still stands. If you look at the chart, they should choose from 16:9 or 8:5.
EDIT: 1136 × 640* is not even in there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vector_Video_Standards4.svg

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
iPhone 6 will have a 4.3" or 4.5" screen with an overall size similar to the iPhone 5/5s. The phone will be slightly wider but no taller. A smaller bezel will allow the phone to remain near the same size as the 5/5s.

Heateris

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
SEPA
iPhone 6 will have a 4.3" or 4.5" screen with an overall size similar to the iPhone 5/5s. The phone will be slightly wider but no taller. A smaller bezel will allow the phone to remain near the same size as the 5/5s.

I totally agree.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think it's possible they keep the 4 inch screen on one of the models. I think they will release a bigger model and a model the same size we have now.

The iPad Mini begs to differ. :rolleyes:

I agree. Apple has to be looking at 40 million sales of the Galaxy Note line (all high-end devices) and wondering if they should make a play for some of that. Sure, we all mocked it, and Samsung wasn't even the first with a 5" Android smartphone (Dell beat them by a year with the Streak but no one bought it), but evidently there is a not-so-small market out there, particularly in China, which Apple claims is so important to its growth.

I would not be surprised at all if they introduce a larger product alongside an iPhone 6 with the same or slightly larger screen size. Given the direction of the ridiculous screen wars on the Android side, the "small" screen of the iPhone would actually be seen for the major strength it is if Apple also had a larger hybrid device. I know a LOT of people who complain that phone are getting too big, and who like the iPhone because it is still pocketable. When the 4.7" Moto X or HTC One screens pass for "small" in the Android world, Apple has a clear differentiator with the 4" screen in a premium product. Android manufacturers dumb down their 4" products.

However, they'd need to make a choice as to whether it runs the iPhone or iPad version of iOS, or if they "fragment" iOS further. Unlike Android, iOS is not resolution independent. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Resolution independence is why there are so few native tablet versions of Android apps. Developers make one version and expect it to run on all Android devices. A "big" phone app or "little" tablet app doesn't look right on the tablet or phone, respectively. That's probably why the Android market has gravitated to big phones and small tablets while Apple makes small phones and big tablets (the iPad mini is considerably bigger than 7" Android tablets and has a different aspect ratio).

That's probably why they haven't done it yet. They are probably unsatisfied with how both the iPhone and iPad versions of iOS look on a 6" screen. Not wanting to repeat the Maps debacle they are probably content to take their time.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess

I can see that happening. The 5c gets the internals of the 5s or a price drop (or both) and the 6 gets a bigger screen and whatever else. The naming convention will finally change and numbers won't be included. Also they will stop selling the 4S.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
They should just put a bigger screen on the current phone size. The iPhone has one of the worst bezel to screen ratios of any current smartphone.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
I'm fine with 4 inch screen but i would like to get it bigger. I'm sure apple can make it better than the others so i'm waiting for iphone 6

Samanosuke

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2013
I would not purchase a phone that is bigger than 4"
It feels odd in my hand, but what I want doesn't necessarily mean it's what apple will do or what others want.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I agree. Apple has to be looking at 40 million sales of the Galaxy Note line (all high-end devices) and wondering if they should make a play for some of that. Sure, we all mocked it, and Samsung wasn't even the first with a 5" Android smartphone (Dell beat them by a year with the Streak but no one bought it), but evidently there is a not-so-small market out there, particularly in China, which Apple claims is so important to its growth.

I would not be surprised at all if they introduce a larger product alongside an iPhone 6 with the same or slightly larger screen size. Given the direction of the ridiculous screen wars on the Android side, the "small" screen of the iPhone would actually be seen for the major strength it is if Apple also had a larger hybrid device. I know a LOT of people who complain that phone are getting too big, and who like the iPhone because it is still pocketable. When the 4.7" Moto X or HTC One screens pass for "small" in the Android world, Apple has a clear differentiator with the 4" screen in a premium product. Android manufacturers dumb down their 4" products.

However, they'd need to make a choice as to whether it runs the iPhone or iPad version of iOS, or if they "fragment" iOS further. Unlike Android, iOS is not resolution independent. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Resolution independence is why there are so few native tablet versions of Android apps. Developers make one version and expect it to run on all Android devices. A "big" phone app or "little" tablet app doesn't look right on the tablet or phone, respectively. That's probably why the Android market has gravitated to big phones and small tablets while Apple makes small phones and big tablets (the iPad mini is considerably bigger than 7" Android tablets and has a different aspect ratio).

That's probably why they haven't done it yet. They are probably unsatisfied with how both the iPhone and iPad versions of iOS look on a 6" screen. Not wanting to repeat the Maps debacle they are probably content to take their time.

I agree. Apple's 4" screen is considered small. The note 3 comes with an option to work on a "tiny" screen. What size is it? Personally I don't want the screen huge, but 4.3 to 4.7 is good.

However I think they may go 5" or more.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I agree. Apple's 4" screen is considered small. The note 3 comes with an option to work on a "tiny" screen. What size is it? Personally I don't want the screen huge, but 4.3 to 4.7 is good.

However I think they may go 5" or more.

I doubt Apple would go with a kludgy "tiny screen" setting on a 5.5" phone, though, except as a compatibility box like they do for iPhone apps on the iPad. Remember it's also the physical usability of the device. A large device is intended for 2-handed use, while to date the iPhone has been intended for single-handed use.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
IPhone 6, iPhone 6C, iPhone WS(widescreen).

I'm hoping for an iPhone 6 NA(not aluminum).

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Id laugh and laugh if they only went a *little* wider, and milked that for two years before going to anywhere close to 5".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.