Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fhopper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
How is your new 802.11 ac? I have the 25Mb plan from COX cable and they use a speed test site speedtest.net. I got this report last night.

DOWNLOAD
32.27Mb/s
UPLOAD
6.92Mb/s
PING 31 ms RATING 4/5 Stars CARRIER 3/5 Stars
COX
SERVER
WICHITA, KS
10/5/2013 at 6:15 AM GMT ID: 3013251916

This is pretty good speed for a home isn't it? (My ignorance is showing.)

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
How is your new 802.11 ac? I have the 25Mb plan from COX cable and they use a speed test site speedtest.net. I got this report last night.

DOWNLOAD
32.27Mb/s
UPLOAD
6.92Mb/s
PING 31 ms RATING 4/5 Stars CARRIER 3/5 Stars
COX
SERVER
WICHITA, KS
10/5/2013 at 6:15 AM GMT ID: 3013251916

This is pretty good speed for a home isn't it? (My ignorance is showing.)

You are are really talking about two different things, your internet connection speed and your wireless speed.

The numbers you are getting from speedtest.net are you internet connection speed. This is measuring the throughput you are getting between your computer and your ISP (Cox). These should be roughly the same if you are wireless or wired. Incidentally, these are pretty good numbers.

For your 802.11ac connection (between your computer and your router) you can see this somewhat. In the upper right hand corner of your iMac screen you'll see a bunch of icons in the menu bar. The one that looks like a series of diminishing arcs is your wireless connection. While holding the Option key, click on the icon. This will give your some info about your wireless connection. The Transmit Rate is the most interesting as this is the carrier rate of your connection. For me on 802.11n it's 300 Mb/s. I presume your number will be higher.

Now, that doesn't really tell you what your throughput is like. Unfortunately I don't know of any utility that can do that. But if you have two computers on your home network you can do some testing yourself. For instance, copy a large file from one computer to another and time it. Then divide the size of the file by the time. There are a lot of variables here (for example, if both computers are wireless, their distance to the wireless router, if they are doing anything else while the copy is going, etc.) but this should give you a rough idea of your throughput.

I hope this helps.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
You are are really talking about two different things, your internet connection speed and your wireless speed.

The numbers you are getting from speedtest.net are you internet connection speed. This is measuring the throughput you are getting between your computer and your ISP (Cox). These should be roughly the same if you are wireless or wired. Incidentally, these are pretty good numbers.

For your 802.11ac connection (between your computer and your router) you can see this somewhat. In the upper right hand corner of your iMac screen you'll see a bunch of icons in the menu bar. The one that looks like a series of diminishing arcs is your wireless connection. While holding the Option key, click on the icon. This will give your some info about your wireless connection. The Transmit Rate is the most interesting as this is the carrier rate of your connection. For me on 802.11n it's 300 Mb/s. I presume your number will be higher.

Now, that doesn't really tell you what your throughput is like. Unfortunately I don't know of any utility that can do that. But if you have two computers on your home network you can do some testing yourself. For instance, copy a large file from one computer to another and time it. Then divide the size of the file by the time. There are a lot of variables here (for example, if both computers are wireless, their distance to the wireless router, if they are doing anything else while the copy is going, etc.) but this should give you a rough idea of your throughput.

I hope this helps.

I agree...

PS: Wi-Fi AC brings "better" wi-fi speed inside your home/business wireless network and/or among wireless connected devices. For example, you can retrieve a big file from your NAS storage almost immediately or directly watch to your TV set a 3D movie without problems...Of course, you need a wireless wi-fi ac router to support that...(means additional cost!).

fhopper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
Thanks guys. I do have the AC Airport and look forward to a new Apple TV at ac speeds for inhouse streaming.

Transmit rate 702

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Thanks guys. I do have the AC Airport and look forward to a new Apple TV at ac speeds for inhouse streaming.

Transmit rate 702

Wireless ac will make no difference for in-house streaming, fyi. Wireless ac is really designed around fast transfers of files around a home network where it's not possible to have a wired connection.

I stream 1080p over my home network with 5Ghz n or 2.4Ghz g with no trouble whatsoever.

fhopper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
You mean ac will not help my iMac stream to my Apple TV or to stream to another home computer?

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
You mean ac will not help my iMac stream to my Apple TV or to stream to another home computer?

Are you noticing any lag/quality/reception issues streaming with your current setup? If not, then upgrading to a AC equipped ATV won't make any difference. Streaming only needs a certain speed in order to transmit effectively. If your network is capable of faster speeds, then the extra bandwidth simply goes unused. The HD stream will not look more "HD like".

The reason AC wireless helps for file/data transfers is because hard drives can read/write very fast, and usually the wireless connection is the bottleneck.

X-Ravin

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
I would be interested to know how people are faring with ac. I considered using it instead of wired gigabit, since it is suppose to transfer at rates above a gigabit. But the reviews of ac routers are only showing 2-300mbps of real world performance which is a bummer.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I would be interested to know how people are faring with ac. I considered using it instead of wired gigabit, since it is suppose to transfer at rates above a gigabit. But the reviews of ac routers are only showing 2-300mbps of real world performance which is a bummer.

nice comment ;)

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors

I hope this helps.

hmm. Im connected to wireless N 2.4 ghz (verizon fios router) and my transmit bounces from 52 to 117. it seems to vary every time i check it. it doesnt feel slow though. websites are instant. i wonder if changing channels would help. my internet connection speed is 30 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up.

fhopper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
Every time I check my speed it is transmit rate: 702 it has not changed at all.

emseven

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
I performed several experiments when I had both the Extreme-N and Extreme-AC and stopped after half a dozen tests. I would have to use my laptop outside to see real benefits.

X-Ravin

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Got an AP Extreme today and saw about 320-400mbps as most tests show. This was about 6 feet away. I really got it for different reason, but figured I'd let you know.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
hmm. Im connected to wireless N 2.4 ghz (verizon fios router) and my transmit bounces from 52 to 117. it seems to vary every time i check it. it doesnt feel slow though. websites are instant. i wonder if changing channels would help. my internet connection speed is 30 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up.

Just so you know, the 300Mb/s I quoted in my post was while sitting at my desk, literally right next to the router. My Transmit Rate goes lower with distance and obstructions (walls, furniture, etc.) between the computer and the router. So, I think what you are seeing with your rate bouncing around and being lower than 300 is normal.

kgian

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Cable connections are almost always true to their quoted numbers. Wireless on the other hand...:(

Erphern

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
UK
802.11ac is looking pretty good here (Airport Extreme + Time Capsule)... ;)

2db3pex.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.