Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I just downloaded several audio files in Safari (some .mp3, some .wav) and found that each time one finished, iTunes would launch on its own and play it.

I looked through the Safari and iTunes preferences, and the System Preferences, but couldn't find anything relevant. This is an incredibly annoying behavior - how do I stop it from occurring? I only listen to music using Spotify (and I generally just use QuickLook to preview sound effects)... I only use iTunes to move files between my iMac and iPhone - were it not for that, I'd uninstall iTunes entirely.

Also checked Finder preferences. Still nothing. Sending a request to the author of Tinker Tool to see if he could add something that changes this.

Last edited:

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Look closer ;-)

First page on Safari Prefs on the very bottom.
"Open "Safe" Files after downloading".

Actually looked for that myself just right now after seeing your post cause I found it quite annoying, too.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Look closer ;-)

First page on Safari Prefs on the very bottom.
"Open "Safe" Files after downloading".

Actually looked for that myself just right now after seeing your post cause I found it quite annoying, too.

Thanks!

So I guess the only reason iTunes is opening, then, is because there's file associations going on. I wonder if I can assign Finder to handle audio files instead...

Edit: Okay, I tried that, and I recommend you don't try that as it caused Finder to behave very erratically. Anytime I clicked off of the Finder window it would force itself back in front of whatever other window I clicked on. All I had to do was change iTunes back to be the application that handles audio. Guess I'll just uncheck that box in Safari preferences.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.