Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I keep reading about how Parallax shifting of the background of the home screen on iOS is making people sick. How long are people staring at their home screen? And the window animations when selecting apps...that's really making people sick?

Don't get me wrong, I believe people really are getting nauseous but I've had zero problems and I'm pretty prone to getting sick. I once got REALLY nauseous on a renaissance faire ride that just was basically a swing back and forth! Even my 5 year old daughter (at the time) didn't get sick. Not my manliest day.

So are people really looking at their homescreen long enough to get them that sick??

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I keep reading about how Parallax shifting of the background of the home screen on iOS is making people sick. How long are people staring at their home screen? And the window animations when selecting apps...that's really making people sick?

Don't get me wrong, I believe people really are getting nauseous but I've had zero problems and I'm pretty prone to getting sick. I once got REALLY nauseous on a renaissance faire ride that just was basically a swing back and forth! Even my 5 year old daughter (at the time) didn't get sick. Not my manliest day.

So are people really looking at their homescreen long enough to get them that sick??

I think the reason is that it is so subtle that it's freaking some people's brains out and it doesn't take long for it to happen. I can be prone to some of those types of things (not with iOS 7 apparently though) and I know it only takes a split second of the action and your head is swimming.

elmizzt

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
parallax isnt the main cause. people are complaining mostly about the zooming animations that happen when you go into/out of a folder or open multitasking bar.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
parallax isnt the main cause. people are complaining mostly about the zooming animations that happen when you go into/out of a folder or open multitasking bar.

That may be true but I've seen a great deal of talk that parallax DOES cause problems (maybe not as much as the zooms...that makes sense).

Again, I really spend fractions of seconds on my homescreen (unless I'm having a "what app was I about to use?" brain fart moment)

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Different people react differently to such things. *shrug*

I'm sure it's a real problem for some people. Although it seems to affect a very small proportion, I hope Apple is able to deal with it through software so those folks don't have to change devices.

elmizzt

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
That may be true but I've seen a great deal of talk that parallax DOES cause problems (maybe not as much as the zooms...that makes sense).

Again, I really spend fractions of seconds on my homescreen (unless I'm having a "what app was I about to use?" brain fart moment)

it's possible that parallax might cause a problem, but theres no point in discussing it because it can be turned off.

the rare person that is affected by the nausea wouldn't be able to turn off the zooming animations, which is what they are complaining about.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Samsung should thank Apple for this one!

When OSX starting becoming as slow and unreliable as Windblows starting with Snow Leopard and the smart changes Microsoft made to Windows 7 to improve their OS, at least we had iOS. But this is a new low for Apple. The hardware is still great and when we have both hardware and software working great together, nobody could touch us.

I have to say SJ would probably have not lot this one slip through.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

I've seen very few complaints about Parallax. A lot of people are using older devices where those effects aren't available. There's also a toggle to turn it off, so people would be able to avoid the problem if it was down to Parallax.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Just another thing to bitch and complain about in their miserable lives.

"I'm dizzy! I'm suing Apple! I'm alerting the media! I'm getting a lawyer!"

Just, stop.....

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

I have a friend who cant play First Person Shooters more than 5-10 minutes. The motion makes him sick enough to almost vomit.

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
It's not about how 'long' you look at the homescreen, lay off the Jimmy Kimell.

The brain is very complicated and everybody is different. They have no more control over this than they do their skin color.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
It's not about how 'long' you look at the homescreen, lay off the Jimmy Kimell.

The brain is very complicated and everybody is different. They have no more control over this than they do their skin color.

I've, literally, never seen an episode of Kimell.

And I'm not critisizing anyone or accusing them of not having "control" over this issue.

And I had no idea the brain was complicated and that everyone is different. I've lived my whole life thinking the brain was quite simple and we are all the same. So, thanks for that. :rolleyes:

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
And I had no idea the brain was complicated and that everyone is different. I've lived my whole life thinking the brain was quite simple and we are all the same. So, thanks for that. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm aside, the way your initial post contradicts itself like 40 times says otherwise.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Just another thing to bitch and complain about in their miserable lives.

"I'm dizzy! I'm suing Apple! I'm alerting the media! I'm getting a lawyer!"

Just, stop.....

There is absolutely no reason to be dismissive. If it does not affect you....great...good for you. It does affect people. It DOES AFFECT ME.

I've used iPads since the about 3 months after initial release of the iPad 1st gen. I am on my 4th. I have had several iPhones. And I had never ever ever once before...ever...ever...felt queasy when using my devices. EVER.

I updated to iOS7 on day 1 of release. I do get a queasy feeling within about 5-10 minutes of use.

I am not complaining. I am not planning to purchase a different device. I am not writing angry emails to Apple.

I am stating a fact based on my 1st hand experience....something I noticed before reading a single report online.

It is not, I don't believe, the parallax effect. I rarely am looking at the home screen. I do believe it is the in and out zooming when moving from home to app to home. I am combatting in by closing my eyes for a brief moment or looking away. I also feel that the use of light colors, mainly in Safari which is my primary app of use, are not helping...again, for me.

It is not the end of the world. It is not going to cause me to abandon my iOS devices. But is is real for some people, albeit a relative few. And it should not be dismissed.

(This response typed on my iPad...and I am not feeling all that great.)

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
It's amazing how high the standards are for us and Apple stuff. If it was something like this on Windows or any other OS we would simply not notice it. But if there's anything wrong in our OS, and it's certainly obvious enough to piss off a lot of users, then Apple often takes notice and makes changes.

It's Apple's ability to change with the pulse of the user that makes them number one. We could have just sit on iMac and fancy colors forever but the products kept getting more and more revolutionary. I think iOS7 was an attempt to change things up a lot but like something like Dalmatian iMac or the Cube, it was just a move in the wrong direction but at least it was a bold move. You can never accuse Apple of being boring.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012

As already mentioned, it's not the parallax, it's the app icons zooming in/out when opening closing apps that causes motion sickness. Parallax can be disabled by turning on Reduce Motion, but zooming can't. I think as others have mentioned, it is the speed of the animation (too slow) that is throwing off the signals in the brain

Yes, I am one of those who are affected. I have been training myself to look away momentarily when opening and closing apps, so have "fix" the problem. For a proper fix, Apple needs options to turn on/off OR speed up/slow down zooming animations. FYI, I have no issues with the animations in Ios4/5/6. Just ios7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.