Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:31 PM   #1
cube
macrumors G3

Are we supposed to stop buying mobile devices?

I was about to buy an Android phone and maybe a tablet, then I found out many things cannot be put in the memory card now. So:

- It seems you cannot use the SD card for Kindle in Android
- It seems you cannot use the SD card for Kindle in Windows Phone
- Apple does not have memory slots
- The best chance seems to be BB10, but there's no official Spotify
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:43 PM   #2
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
What are you trying to accomplish?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:03 AM   #3
cube
macrumors G3

Having a lot of upgradeable storage at a reasonable price.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:04 AM   #4
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I was about to buy an Android phone and maybe a tablet, then I found out many things cannot be put in the memory card now. So:

- It seems you cannot use the SD card for Kindle in Android
- It seems you cannot use the SD card for Kindle in Windows Phone
- Apple does not have memory slots
- The best chance seems to be BB10, but there's no official Spotify
How does any of the above (while not accurate) indicate you should stop buying mobile devices?
noisycats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:06 AM   #5
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post
How does any of the above (while not accurate) indicate you should stop buying mobile devices?
Because they don't provide the functionality needed. If it's not accurate, I will be glad to be corrected with strong evidence to the contrary.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:12 AM   #6
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

So stop buying them. Not sure anyone here will care.
Vegastouch is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 02:33 AM   #7
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Maybe you should just buy a kindle !

And SD Card usage is dependent on device. Also whilst Kindle or other app itself may be required on internal storage, additional content can be stored on the SD.

Last edited by MacRumorUser; Oct 6, 2013 at 02:40 AM.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 04:23 AM   #8
cube
macrumors G3

No, since Honeycomb it is not possible to install apps in the card, and that is not what I am talking about. Although this means the 4GB dual sim phablet I was thinking about is out of the question, I accept it so that an app in the card cannot be replaced by a malicious one.

It is also not possible to store the Kindle books in the card for newer Android and WP, unlike some other media.

And I don't want to carry more than a phone.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 04:29 AM   #9
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
No, since Honeycomb it is not possible to install apps in the card, and that is not what I am talking about. Although this means the 4GB dual sim phablet I was thinking about is out of the question, I accept it so that an app in the card cannot be replaced by a malicious one.

It is also not possible to store the Kindle books in the card for newer Android and WP, unlike some other media.

You clearly haven't used latest Samsung devices which CAN move the app to SD Card.

So please check your Facts...

Also how many kindle books are you carrying around with you because you can get thousands on even smallest Smartphone these days.

Old Oct 6, 2013, 04:34 AM   #10
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
You clearly haven't used latest Samsung devices which CAN move the app to SD Card.

So please check your Facts...

Also how many kindle books are you carrying around with you because you can get thousands on even smallest Smartphone these days.

Well, I checked already, and there are many people complaining even with Jelly Bean, that's why the thread was started.

And 4GB is not enough for both apps and Kindle books, if what I want was available with 16GB, I would take it.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 04:38 AM   #11
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

So basically because what you want is starved of internal memory / storage your being all dramatic and condemning the whole smartphone market without clearly checking all of your facts before you even started this thread....

Buy something with more storage or don't buy, its your choice. The smartphone market is full of choices, just because your picking one that doesn't suit your needs us not indicative of the whole
Old Oct 6, 2013, 04:38 AM   #12
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Kindle app can be moved to SD card, I'm not sure where the actual books are stored, not bothered TBH because the space they take is so minimal as to be negligible.

daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 04:45 AM   #13
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:
So basically because what you want is starved of internal memory / storage your being all dramatic and condemning the whole smartphone market without clearly checking all of your facts before you even started this thread....

Buy something with more storage or don't buy, its your choice. The smartphone market is full of choices, just because your picking one that doesn't suit your needs us not indicative of the whole
No, it's not full of choices, and I saw reports about this problem on a variety of devices, as a general system problem, not vendor-specific. I'm not even talking about the phablet I might buy, if it accept it is not global 3G.

Until vendors state explicitly that this problem does not exist anymore, I'm buying nothing.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 04:47 AM   #14
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
No, it's not full of choices, and I saw reports about this problem on a variety of devices, as a general system problem, not vendor-specific. I'm not even talking about the phablet I might buy, if it accept it is not global 3G.

Until vendors state explicitly that this problem does not exist anymore, I'm buying nothing.
What phone do you have now please?
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 04:52 AM   #15
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
What phone do you have now please?
I replaced my Xperia Neo V by an iPhone 4S someone gave me as a gift. 32GB is not enough, and I'm not paying $1000 for 64 that also cannot be upgraded.

But only now a phone appears besides China that approaches what I need.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 08:17 AM   #16
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Most of us that read ebooks use Calibre for that reason. Just strip the DRM and use another reader which allows for you to read off SD cards. It's an app issue, not a device issue.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:29 AM   #17
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Maybe you should just buy a kindle !
Agreed.

Sounds like there isn't a perfect device for you OP so you have to decide on which one meets the majority of your needs. Yeah, it stinks, but it is what it is. No need to sit here on the internet crying "Woe is me!"
Old Oct 6, 2013, 01:17 PM   #18
KentuckyHouse
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to KentuckyHouse
Wow. Uninformed OP is uninformed.

People have given you lots of good advice here and you seem more intent in whining than listening. Take their advice. Or don't. But stop whining about a problem you've created by picking the wrong device.
KentuckyHouse is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 02:40 PM   #19
cube
macrumors G3

How am I uninformed if before buying something I search and I find lots of people with problems, not about the specific item, but about a whole range of similar devices from other brands?

I didn't invent anything. Lots of people reporting that the newer versions of Android didn't allow installing apps in the SD card, and others complaining that they cannot use the SD card with Kindle books anymore.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 04:33 PM   #20
mellofello
macrumors 6502

My note 3 has a 64 gb sd card in it. All my big games are running off of it. My Kindle is totally backed up in the cloud when I want to read on the phone it auto syncs to my Kindle.

I don't know why you would want to store your Kindle books on a sd card. If you are illegally downloading epub files then there are plenty of apps to read them.
mellofello is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 04:46 PM   #21
KentuckyHouse
macrumors 68020

Quote:
How am I uninformed if before buying something I search and I find lots of people with problems, not about the specific item, but about a whole range of similar devices from other brands?

I didn't invent anything. Lots of people reporting that the newer versions of Android didn't allow installing apps in the SD card, and others complaining that they cannot use the SD card with Kindle books anymore.
The bottom line is this. You came here, posted a vague issue, and won't even say what phone you're interested in (even after being directly asked).

If you'd actually give some specific information rather than talking in generalities, maybe we could help you. But as it is, it just seems you want to whine about something, anything.

All we know is you want a phablet that only comes with 4gb of memory. It does support external SD, but the Kindle app doesn't allow you to store your books on it. This, to me, sounds like your issue is more with the app rather than the phone. And if the 4gb of internal storage doesn't work for you, find another phone that does.

It's as simple as that.
KentuckyHouse is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 02:32 PM   #22
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyHouse View Post
And if the 4gb of internal storage doesn't work for you, find another phone that does.
Show me another 720p dual sim phone that is sold in Europe.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 02:52 PM   #23
KentuckyHouse
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Show me another 720p dual sim phone that is sold in Europe.
http://www.amazon.com/BLU-D910a-Unlo.../dp/B009C7WH8K

http://www.freeyourmobile.biz/acatal...le_phones.html
KentuckyHouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 02:53 PM   #24
onthecouchagain
Banned

You're supposed to stop buying phones. Not us, though.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 04:58 PM   #25
cube
macrumors G3

...and you didn't answer the question.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices