Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

View Poll Results: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes 38 32.20%
No 73 61.86%
Undecided 7 5.93%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:23 AM   #1
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

What's in a name? — Washington Redskins

Now that President Obama has weighed in on the issue, this is definitely fodder for PRSI ...

Quote:
President Barack Obama says that if he owned the Washington Redskins, he would "think about changing" the team name, wading into the controversy over a football nickname that many people deem offensive to Native Americans.

Obama, in an interview with The Associated Press, said team names like the Redskins offend "a sizable group of people." He said that while fans get attached to the nicknames, nostalgia may not be a good enough reason to keep them in place.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/53193499/n.../#.UlF-whaWVRU
This issue has actually been around for a while, and it seems as if teams—both college and pro—eventually let go of their traditional, more controversial name/mascot and adopt more politically correct ones.

Should the Washington Redskins change their name? I personally think they should.

If they did change, what would be a good alternative?

Here's one ...

The Washington Obstructors

I'm sure you folks can come up with better.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Sky Blue

yeah, i think they should.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:31 AM   #3
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
The Washington Obstructors
The Washington Fili-busters
The Washington Lobbyists
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:32 AM   #4
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

BTW, this doesn't have to be just about the Redskins. I'm curious whether there are any teams in other countries with controversial names and how that's being addressed.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:34 AM   #5
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

I think this is really a non-issue. Unless I'm missing something I have yet to hear any of these Indians, Native Americans, whatever you want to call them complain. The way I see it, it would be an honor to have a team named after/about me. This is a drummed up story of the politicians who, again, have nothing better to do and think they know what's best for me/my family/my feelings/my tribe.
haxrnick is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:35 AM   #6
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
The Washington Fili-busters
The Washington Lobbyists
Dude it's football. There has to be some kind of macho, brute force edginess.

Then again there are the Miami Dolphins

... the New England Patriots

... the Phoenix Cardinals

... New Orleans Saints

Okay. Never mind the macho angle.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:36 AM   #7
zioxide
macrumors 603

No.

Obama should be more worried about getting the ass clowns in Congress to do their ****ing jobs then worrying about the name of a football team.

Why is this just targeting the Redskins too? What about the Indians? Braves? Chiefs?

I'm so sick of everyone being "offended" over everything. Time for this country to wake up, grow some balls, and stop letting the inmates run the asylum.
zioxide is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:38 AM   #8
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxrnick View Post
I think this is really a non-issue. Unless I'm missing something I have yet to hear any of these Indians, Native Americans, whatever you want to call them complain. The way I see it, it would be an honor to have a team named after/about me. This is a drummed up story of the politicians who, again, have nothing better to do and think they know what's best for me/my family/my feelings/my tribe.
Okay. Here's a complaint from Native Americans. Does that change your mind?

Quote:
The Oneida Nation launched a new radio ad that began airing in the D.C. market on Sunday ahead of Monday night’s game between the Redskins and the Philadelphia Eagles. ”That word, Redskins, is not a harmless term,” Halbritter says in the ad. “We do not deserve to be called Redskins. We deserve to be treated as what we are: Americans.”

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/09/09/oneid...o-change-name/
citizenzen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:40 AM   #9
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Okay. Here's a complaint from Native Americans. Does that change your mind?
No.
haxrnick is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:43 AM   #10
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

The main issue as I see it lies less in the use of names like this by the team and it's fans, and more with the potential more derogatory use by fans of opposing teams.

Redskins is probably different though, as there's little redeeming value in a name that was used in a derogatory fashion from the get-go.

But take Florida State University (Seminoles) and the University of Utah (Utes) as examples:

As a graduate and fan of the UofU, I've seen fans of our historic rival, Brigham Young University (BYU), take our team name and intentionally change the spelling (Yewts) and then substitute it for swears and all sorts of other foul things. You'll hear them say stuff like "we would have won if our team didn't "take a yewt" all over the field". Or tell someone that they're a piece of "Yewt".

The problem? When spoken, Yewt and Ute sound exactly the same; and as a result, the name of a proud tribe is denigrated. I don't think that is acceptable.

Now the Ute tribe has graciously allowed the UofU to use the tribe name. After all, the state of Utah gets it's name from the Ute tribe who were among the dominant tribes in the area when the Mormons came to settle. But I think that through no fault of the University of Utah, a situation has arisen where even the allowed use of the name by the Ute tribe may no longer be appropriate.

It's sad, because I think this type of thing could be done in a way designed to honor and recognize a tribe, but it just opens up a door to unearned ridicule.

But as I said before, Redskins is not the name of a tribe, and is pretty derogatory to begin with. I think the team name should go.

My idea: change the name to reflect the party in the white-house. Right now it could be the Washington Asses (isn't an ass the mascot of the Democrats?)
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:55 AM   #11
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No.
I had a feeling ...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Flyfishing View Post
My idea: change the name to reflect the party in the white-house. Right now it could be the Washington Asses (isn't an ass the mascot of the Democrats?)
Well played.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:59 AM   #12
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

We stole their land and decimated their people; why should we care about changing the name of the football team?
obeygiant is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:06 AM   #13
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

Team established in the 30s and now people want the name changed?

----------

Quote:

Then again there are the Miami Dolphins

... the New England Patriots

Okay. Never mind the macho angle.
Patriots are notorious for winning wars.
JohnLT13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:08 AM   #14
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The Washington Concussions
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:15 AM   #15
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
No.

Obama should be more worried about getting the ass clowns in Congress to do their ****ing jobs then worrying about the name of a football team.

Why is this just targeting the Redskins too? What about the Indians? Braves? Chiefs?

I'm so sick of everyone being "offended" over everything. Time for this country to wake up, grow some balls, and stop letting the inmates run the asylum.
Agreed. Keep the name.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:16 AM   #16
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

The Washington Greenbacks

DC Comets
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:20 AM   #17
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT13 View Post
Team established in the 30s and now people want the name changed?
Teams change names. It happens.

Why not change the name when it's considered by many to be offensive?

Quote:
"Redskin" is a racial descriptor for Native Americans, the origins of which are disputed. Although by some accounts not originally having negative intent, the term is now defined by dictionaries of American English as "usually offensive","disparaging", "insulting", "taboo" and is avoided in public usage with the exception of its continued use as a name for sports teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskin_(slang)

----------

Quote:
I'm sorry, but who exactly are the inmates in this case?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:27 AM   #18
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Teams change names. It happens.
Very rarely. It mostly only happens when a team moves.

Quote:
Why not change the name when it's considered by many to be offensive?
Because it's not all about them. If you tried hard enough you could probably find whiners now who are offended by every team's name.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but who exactly are the inmates in this case?
The inmates are the clowns who are self-righteous and feel the need to be offended by everything. When did Americans become such thin-skinned whiners? It's just a name.

Even your quote earlier from the Native Americans.
“We do not deserve to be called Redskins. We deserve to be treated as what we are: Americans.”

Nobody is calling them Redskins. They're trying to build up an argument against something that doesn't exist, and then complain about it. It's just the name of the team.
zioxide is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:32 AM   #19
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The inmates are the clowns who are self-righteous and feel the need to be offended by everything. When did Americans become such thin-skinned whiners? It's just a name.
Okay. People have asked a number of times in these threads not to be labelled as "Teabaggers" even though that name was coined originally by the Teabaggers themselves.

Are they likewise self-righteous and thin-skinned whiners who don't understand it's just a name?
citizenzen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:36 AM   #20
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
The issue is the term Redskins is a derogatory term toward native americans much like the n word is toward blacks.

If a team was named the Washington N word, I think there would be a bigger push to get the name changed.

I don't have an issue with the Cleveland Indians or the Braves, etc because it isn't derogatory toward them. Though the Redskins is.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:40 AM   #21
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

Obviously the name is offensive to Native Americans. I can't see it being more offensive than when the early Americans obliterated, destroyed and forced the Natives out of their own lands but I guess that's all relative nowadays.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:46 AM   #22
roadbloc
macrumors 604

The Washington Burgundy Cutis.

Personally, its just a name and I don't care. I don't think words could ever offend me.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:51 AM   #23
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Okay. People have asked a number of times in these threads not to be labelled as "Teabaggers" even though that name was coined originally by the Teabaggers themselves.

Are they likewise self-righteous and thin-skinned whiners who don't understand it's just a name?
Seems these days that almost anything offends someone because someone deems it offensive.
JohnLT13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:55 AM   #24
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:

Yes, but for the tea party (American Taliban), it's not just because of the name.

The bottom line is nobody is forcing anyone to watch the NFL or Redskins football. If you don't like it, don't watch. Just like if you don't like music that says the n-word all the time, don't listen to it.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:02 PM   #25
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT13 View Post
Seems these days that almost anything offends someone because someone deems it offensive.
Exactly. The truth is everybody tries to control language and labels. Each side has their politically correct and acceptable terms.

Trying to claim otherwise is simply disingenuous.

If it's just a word, then someone ask why Bill O'Reilly thinks there's a "War on Christmas".

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues