Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
It would nice to see some standardization in the machine, I think this is a good thing (if true... I don't think you can tell from that image one way or another).

I know, I was just going off the chip arrangement. Thinner chips on the opposite end to the large one next to the connector.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
If you look at the size and arrangement of the chips, it looks exactly like the PCIe Flash used in the new Mac Pro.

Apple are using Samsung parts, you can see the markings on the controller are the same on Apple's photos and that of the Samsung XP941, but the arrangement looks totally different to me unless I'm mistaken.

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/samsung-xp941-m-2-pcie-ssd-review-512gb/

Samsung-XP941-512GB-M2-SSD-Front2.jpg

Samsung-XP941-512GB-M2-SSD-Back-2.jpg

storage.jpg

----------

I know, I was just going off the chip arrangement. Thinner chips on the opposite end to the large one next to the connector.

Ah okay. Well definitely Samsung anyway. Be interesting to know if Apple are doing it double sided too as that might mean the one on display is 1TB (8 chips).

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
It also looks to have the same form factor as the SSD in a MacBook Air. Too bad it's not the same, however. There has been an amazing number of Toshiba/Sandforce SSD failures in the 2012 model of the MBA, and Apple has not seen fit to acknowledge the problem.

I happen to own one to those MBAs too, but, so far mine has not been affected. But, I believe it to be a ticking time bomb. They usually fail in the 13th to 15th month of ownership, so most those without Applecare or a Credit Card Warranty extension are out of luck. Some, but not many, have been replaced out of the warranty period by some Apple stores.

Lou

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/news-events/press-releases/detail?newsId=12921

If you look at the size and arrangement of the chips, it looks exactly like the PCIe Flash used in the new Mac Pro.

Yeah... Agreed... it's using this controller/NAND but its obviously using a different bus connection. Apple is not using M.2.

Apple are using Samsung parts, you can see the markings on the controller are the same on Apple's photos and that of the Samsung XP941, but the arrangement looks totally different to me unless I'm mistaken.

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/samsung-xp941-m-2-pcie-ssd-review-512gb/

storage.jpg

----------

Ah okay. Well definitely Samsung anyway. Be interesting to know if Apple are doing it double sided too as that might mean the one on display is 1TB (8 chips).

Apple has shown at least two versions of the SSD... The one in the marketing photos (such as the one you linked to) has a slightly different layout to the one on display at WWDC which is more like the layout of the MBA blade...

434px-Mac_Pro_2013_inside.png

Also, Since the new iMac offers 1TB I suspect the Mac Pro will as well.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Nope, that's Apple's non-standard PCIE-SSD connector. The same one they have in the MBP / MBA and iMAC. Not a good sign for upgradability unless you are purchasing your SSD from Apple...

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Nope, that's Apple's non-standard PCIE-SSD connector. The same one they have in the MBP / MBA and iMAC. Not a good sign for upgradability unless you are purchasing your SSD from Apple...

OWC offered aftermarket SSD upgrades for an earlier MBA blade, so I won't be surprised if they do that again, especially now that nearly every Mac uses the same blade design, providing a bigger market to pursue.

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
OWC offered aftermarket SSD upgrades for an earlier MBA blade, so I won't be surprised if they do that again, especially now that nearly every Mac uses the same blade design, providing a bigger market to pursue.

Oh good .
How much were those again ?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

If they are sticking with Sandforce it is probably going to take time to adjust from the M.2 ( NGFF) reference solution will have to derive from

http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-n...ller-codename-griffin-discovered-at-computex/

to something that is just socket 3. Not major perhaps some work.

Also not so sure the blade designs across the current set of Mac is the same as much as similar ( absolutely the same width, length, securing mechanism versus same general form factor ). Even the new M.2 standard
isn't just one same form factor or even socket.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6293/...end-to-proprietary-ultrabook-ssd-form-factors

So Apple can use a basic M.2/NGFF design framework

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/2013-macbook-air-ngff-pcie-ssd-review/

but it still may not necessary fit in any other system with a M.2 socket (length differences).

It isn't just an "Apple" thing:

".. Socket M.2 started out with around 15 different sizes, but most manufacturers have chosen to implement just a few. Shown above, 2280, 2260, 2242 and 2230 are the sizes most of us will see in the consumer market. .... Unlike mSATA where one size ruled them all for the most part, socket M.2 sizes are actually important. The Lenovo ThinkPad S431 ships with a M.2 connector as long as you order the notebook with a cache drive from Lenovo directly. There isn't room for a 2280 and there may not be enough room for a 2260, even after you modify the standoff.... "
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/57...gff-ssd-review/index.html#2RWP3Lcbkm2y28em.99

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
While the nMacPro can't run the XP941 PCIe flash due to Apple's special connector, apparently they are the same, just a different pinout.

Now... as far as the XP941 goes, these will work without issue in our current Mac Pro's.. :cool:

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 237

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Who makes that card? Is it bootable for OS X and Bootcamp?

I'm trying to find an appropriate emoticon for what I *think* the look is on your face, possibly resembling a large dog with a bacon wrapped filet in front of him....:D

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Who makes that card? Is it bootable for OS X and Bootcamp?

This 4x card enables a NGFF PCIe SSD , not to be confused with a NGFF SATA3 SSD, to interface with the MacPro. From what I have seen, the Xp941 reveals itself to OS X as a bootable ACHI device.

As soon as I can source a XP941, I will be able to validate boot capabilities in Mavericks on a 4,1 that's been flashed to a 5,1.

I've also recently seen another single channel card destined to the US shores that's nearly identical and provides the same functionality for the MacPro.

A pair of XP941's in RAID 0 should hit 2GB/a ! Unfortunately they are still unavailable to the the general public . As of 11/13/13 NGFF ssd's that can be found out of Aaian marketplaces are limited to products that can't hold up the to the 840 Pro.

micahkoch

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
This 4x card enables a NGFF PCIe SSD , not to be confused with a NGFF SATA3 SSD, to interface with the MacPro. From what I have seen, the Xp941 reveals itself to OS X as a bootable ACHI device.

As soon as I can source a XP941, I will be able to validate boot capabilities in Mavericks on a 4,1 that's been flashed to a 5,1.

I've also recently seen another single channel card destined to the US shores that's nearly identical and provides the same functionality for the MacPro.

A pair of XP941's in RAID 0 should hit 2GB/a ! Unfortunately they are still unavailable to the the general public . As of 11/13/13 NGFF ssd's that can be found out of Aaian marketplaces are limited to products that can't hold up the to the 840 Pro.

Were you able to get the XP941 to work with Boot Camp? I have a 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 with the XP941 and Boot Camp doesn't see it.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
That is some freaking fast storage. I'm loving the direction that SSDs are going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.