Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haginile

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Hey guys,

I'm on a retina Macbook Pro. When I scroll through a large PDF very rapidly, I notice that the text becomes blurry (as if everything's bolded) for a split second, before becoming normal.. Anyone else having this issue? Thanks!

haginile

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Thanks MacReloaded. It's strange because it scrolls fine in Safari.. only starts rendering strangely after I downloaded and opened the file in Preview.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I'm noticing this too, but it doesn't bother me at all. Considering how sluggish Acrobat XI is on my system when scrolling any PDF file, I prefer whatever tricks Preview does to make the scrolling as smooth as possible.

Big Babba

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
Preview blurring in Mavericks is annoying!!

I agree-this is making me what to go back in my operating system to Mountain Lion. I read a lot of PDF's and like to scroll through as I am reading. It blurring bothers my eyes and makes it hard for me to keep track of where I am. This is a change that breaks something that used to work well.

I hate to say this, but short of uninstalling Mavericks I might just have to switch my default PDF reader to Adobe. I know it doesn't do this blurring thing.

Vacuumcleaner

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
I'm seeing a similar behaviour since I've upgraded to Mavericks. However that only happens when I scroll a PDF using two fingers. The problem is that it scrolls sideways by just 1 pixel when I don't make a perfectly vertical motion with my fingers, therefore blurring the text. This blurring doesn't disappear before I lift my fingers from the touchpad. It seems like you didn't have Mavericks at the time you posted this, but is that maybe what you're seeing?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I'm seeing a similar behaviour since I've upgraded to Mavericks. However that only happens when I scroll a PDF using two fingers. The problem is that it scrolls sideways by just 1 pixel when I don't make a perfectly vertical motion with my fingers, therefore blurring the text. This blurring doesn't disappear before I lift my fingers from the touchpad. It seems like you didn't have Mavericks at the time you posted this, but is that maybe what you're seeing?

Again I ask what Macs do you have? If more people list the Macs they are having this problem on then maybe a suggestion can be suggested to Apple support Apple Feedback. This way they are aware of the problem. So please include you Mac model when posting about this problem.

Last edited:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
- Mid 2010 13" mbp
- Late 2008 13" mb (Aluminum)

Try to make a test account to see if happens there. If it does then backup and try a reinstall and if it doesn't then something might have went wrong during the "upgrade" (as you can tell I dislike""upgrades" because some older incompatible extensions might be left behind).

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Try to make a test account to see if happens there. If it does then backup and try a reinstall and if it doesn't then something might have went wrong during the "upgrade" (as you can tell I dislike""upgrades" because some older incompatible extensions might be left behind).

Done and done. It has nothing to do with that, trust me.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Just so we're all on the same page, here's a screen recording of what I'm seeing. Notice that once the page has turned blurry, it stays that way until one takes their finger off the trackpad. That's actually the part that is especially annoying to me.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Coming from a clean install and I get this too.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Coming from a clean install and I get this too.

I getting to understand this might be related to trackpad Macs. I don't see that problem on My 2008 Mac Pro (in my Signature) or on friend other Macs that don't use a trackpad. So if you have a spare wired mouse se if that makes a difference.

PlanetExp

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012

This. When I scroll really carefully just vertically it doesn't blur anything.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
I have the same problem on 2010 MBA running Mavericks. It's quite annoying, but zooming out slightly makes it not so noticeable. I'll check my other machines later.

pencilcheck

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
Happen to me as well, but my eyes are more custom to it so I am not finding it annoying. But it would be nice if they disable that.

fisha

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
I've seen this type of effect on a number of systems and hardware. I think what the software does is create a lower resolution image of the page and uses tat to display when scrolling. This lower resolution image takes less calculation to show the movement of the scroll or zoom, and possibly allows free CPU timeto calculate and pre render what is about to appear in the scroll. When the movement is stopped, it'll then do a complete screen redraw at full resolution.

This type of procedure probably comes from mobile type devices where CPU resource can be limited and a balance struck between smoothness and image quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.