Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Dec 3, 2005, 01:15 PM   #1
xolmusic
macrumors newbie

imac g5 installed ram/is it the correct speed?

I managed to look into my system profiler and noticed that the ram that came stocked is pc2 4200 533mhz but i had them add additional ram before they sent it to me, but the extra ram in the system profiler says pc2 4200 - 444? is that 444 a sloer speed, and is that gonaa effect me being able to take advantage of the dual channel memory system, i was told that if you have the sam amount of ram in both slots that the ram bandwith creeps up to the powermac bandwith.

thanks, i hope i got the right stuff.

anybody, please reply
xolmusic is offline   0
Old Dec 3, 2005, 01:55 PM   #2
yenko
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolmusic
I managed to look into my system profiler and noticed that the ram that came stocked is pc2 4200 533mhz but i had them add additional ram before they sent it to me, but the extra ram in the system profiler says pc2 4200 - 444? is that 444 a sloer speed, and is that gonaa effect me being able to take advantage of the dual channel memory system, i was told that if you have the sam amount of ram in both slots that the ram bandwith creeps up to the powermac bandwith.

thanks, i hope i got the right stuff.

anybody, please reply
What do you mean by "creeps up to the powermac bandwidth"?
You got the right stuff.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 02:07 PM   #3
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolmusic
If you ahve a PowerMac G5, you can only install RAM in pairs, so you have Dual-Channel by default. No other Mac that uses DDR-2 RAM supports Dual Channel.

The -444 in your system profiler refers to the Latency values of the module -- CAS Latency of 4 is accurate.

Note: Best if you tell us which model of Mac you have when posting
CanadaRAM is offline   0
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:16 AM   #4
xolmusic
macrumors newbie

I have an Imac g5/i sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM
If you ahve a PowerMac G5, you can only install RAM in pairs, so you have Dual-Channel by default. No other Mac that uses DDR-2 RAM supports Dual Channel.

The -444 in your system profiler refers to the Latency values of the module -- CAS Latency of 4 is accurate.

Note: Best if you tell us which model of Mac you have when posting
So the "-444" in the description of the ram has nothing to so with the speed as in 533mhz?
xolmusic is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers