Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 3, 2005, 01:57 PM   #1
supersalzme
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
17" Powerbook- Should I wait?

I feel like buying a rev A product is just not a good call. If I just bump up the memory, will I really see a big difference? I am mainly using it for web surfing, typing papers, and some protools editing. I am not really a photoshop guy or final cut guy, so that stuff won't apply to me. I just feel like by the time the pb's come out, are ready to buy, and have fixed all the bugs (I even think they might not come out with a 17" till the rev b's)....it will be a whole quarter I will be without a good computer. Should I get a solid last gen of the old pb's, or get a first gen new powerbook? Also, do you think their will be a price drop on the old pb's once the new ones come out? I don't want to buy one around christmas...only to see a 400 dollar price drop in a month.
supersalzme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 03:07 PM   #2
aquajet
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: DFW
I, personally, would avoid a rev. A product. I think you should go ahead and buy what you need now. It'll be a long way off until the rev. B PowerBooks show up, and even longer until the Intel machines outnumber the PowerPCs. By that time, you might be ready to buy a new computer, and you'll avoid the growing pains associated with an all-new architecture.

I doubt we'll see that much of a price drop over a month's time. Take a look at eBay...Apples always fetch high prices. Nevertheless, there will be a price drop, and you'll just have to deal with it, like everybody else.
aquajet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 03:53 PM   #3
supersalzme
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajet
I, personally, would avoid a rev. A product. I think you should go ahead and buy what you need now. It'll be a long way off until the rev. B PowerBooks show up, and even longer until the Intel machines outnumber the PowerPCs. By that time, you might be ready to buy a new computer, and you'll avoid the growing pains associated with an all-new architecture.

I doubt we'll see that much of a price drop over a month's time. Take a look at eBay...Apples always fetch high prices. Nevertheless, there will be a price drop, and you'll just have to deal with it, like everybody else.
Yeah....would the current 17" last me a good 3 years? If I'm going to drop 2,500 bucks on a computer...I want it to last me through college.
supersalzme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 04:00 PM   #4
chaos86
macrumors 65816
 
chaos86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Send a message via AIM to chaos86
i'd say hold out as long as you can.

i think apple have learned a lot about notebook case design (and paint) from the last 2 powerbooks so that shouldn't be an issue. they make it sound like software is going to make a transparent transition, but im skeptical about that- the big guys will be fine but the small utilities may have problems so getting the powerpc version and using rosetta may be the way to go with some of them, thus negating any intel related speed increases. the only problem i see will be hardware. there are likely to be hardware bugs, probably lots, but firmware updates and standard applecare should take care of that with minimal disruption (i hope).

what i'm trying to say is that no, i dont think the current 17" will last you 3 years without some pain at the end. I'm currently at 1.5 years on a 1.33ghz/768mb/64mb/15" powerbook and photoshopping a 50 layer 6120x5196 file is feeling pretty slow redrawing and saving (5400 rpm drive can't help). maybe that's unreasonable though...
chaos86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 04:09 PM   #5
chaos86
macrumors 65816
 
chaos86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Send a message via AIM to chaos86
i have, however, used a digital performer/motu combo with a dual 800mhz g4 powermac and it felt pretty fast (admittedly only using 8 stereo tracks, not 50 huge layers). so maybe a powerbook from today would last you fine for just web, typing, and audio production.
chaos86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 04:20 PM   #6
TodVader
macrumors 6502a
 
TodVader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Quebec, Canada
Go with the 17" PB. 15" seem to have problems but I barely hear about 17" problems. I wish I had that choice
go for it!
__________________
TodVader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 04:24 PM   #7
chaos86
macrumors 65816
 
chaos86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Send a message via AIM to chaos86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodVader
Go with the 17" PB. 15" seem to have problems but I barely hear about 17" problems. I wish I had that choice
go for it!
you barely hear about it because apple sells far fewer of them. who's gonna pay an extra $500 for 2 inches and 40 gigs of hard drive?
chaos86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 04:33 PM   #8
aquajet
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: DFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersalzme
Yeah....would the current 17" last me a good 3 years? If I'm going to drop 2,500 bucks on a computer...I want it to last me through college.
Can't really answer that question. It all depends upon what you'll be doing with it over the next 3 years. I have a 1 year old powerbook and 2 year old iMac, both fit my needs.
aquajet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:25 PM   #9
supersalzme
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos86
i'd say hold out as long as you can.

i think apple have learned a lot about notebook case design (and paint) from the last 2 powerbooks so that shouldn't be an issue. they make it sound like software is going to make a transparent transition, but im skeptical about that- the big guys will be fine but the small utilities may have problems so getting the powerpc version and using rosetta may be the way to go with some of them, thus negating any intel related speed increases. the only problem i see will be hardware. there are likely to be hardware bugs, probably lots, but firmware updates and standard applecare should take care of that with minimal disruption (i hope).

what i'm trying to say is that no, i dont think the current 17" will last you 3 years without some pain at the end. I'm currently at 1.5 years on a 1.33ghz/768mb/64mb/15" powerbook and photoshopping a 50 layer 6120x5196 file is feeling pretty slow redrawing and saving (5400 rpm drive can't help). maybe that's unreasonable though...
So you think even if it's a first gen, I will still be ok and it will last me longer than the pb's out now?
supersalzme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:33 PM   #10
generik
Banned
 
generik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minitrue
I would wait, the moment the Intel Macs hit the shelves, the resale value for the PPC ones will drop like a sack of rocks.

Why so?

Unlike previous transitions (eg from G3 to G4.. or G4 to G5), this transition means no forward compatibility for existing macs, which means should some developer just not feel like checking the "PPC" checkbox during compilation you will be totally screwed.

It is not in the dev's best interests to do that of course, but I am pretty sure some apps will still not target PPC macs at all.
generik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:42 PM   #11
chaos86
macrumors 65816
 
chaos86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Send a message via AIM to chaos86
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersalzme
So you think even if it's a first gen, I will still be ok and it will last me longer than the pb's out now?
yes, if i were in your position, i would wait for rev a intel 'book. you'll know about it in the first 2 weeks after their release whether the intel powerbooks have any major issues, and then you can get a hell of a price on a refurb ppc p'book if there are some horrendous issues with the intel ones.
chaos86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 06:13 PM   #12
supersalzme
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by generik
I would wait, the moment the Intel Macs hit the shelves, the resale value for the PPC ones will drop like a sack of rocks.

Why so?

Unlike previous transitions (eg from G3 to G4.. or G4 to G5), this transition means no forward compatibility for existing macs, which means should some developer just not feel like checking the "PPC" checkbox during compilation you will be totally screwed.

It is not in the dev's best interests to do that of course, but I am pretty sure some apps will still not target PPC macs at all.
Yeah. I'm so bad at waiting...but I think waiting just to see what they shell out is probably in my best interest. Do you think they will come out with a 17" right away?
supersalzme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 06:55 PM   #13
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000
 
steve_hill4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NG9, England
Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
I personally think that when they upgrade one PowerBook from PPC to intel, all three will go to intel. I can't see them switching one to intel, or taking the 12" and !5" over and leaving the 17" behind. It wouldn't make any sense.

Switching the iBook without the PowerBook and vice versa, yes, but not within a model range, especially on laptops.
steve_hill4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 07:02 PM   #14
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603
 
2nyRiggz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
no man, go on and buy it....if u wait u might be in for a long wait.


Bless
__________________
I take everything to Jah in prayer
2ny, do something righteous with your life..
2nyRiggz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 07:56 PM   #15
generik
Banned
 
generik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minitrue
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersalzme
Yeah. I'm so bad at waiting...but I think waiting just to see what they shell out is probably in my best interest. Do you think they will come out with a 17" right away?
I doubt so, as much as I want to see PBs go Yonah asap I find it hard to see it happening at MWSF.
generik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 09:39 PM   #16
ozone
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Despite the good advice I gave previously on this forum some time ago, I suddenly too have been smitten by the "gotta get a PB now" bug. It's barely a month to the big January event, and I'm really debating whether I go with a solid piece of technology now (the 17" PB RevE), or wait for the new Intel ones.

For me, it's not a case of dire need: just the fortunate luxury of wishing I had one and actually being able to muster up the funds to get it. But given what I do at work, a faster processor and an Intel one to boot (future Windows related opportunities) would be a huge plus.

I'm not particularly dissatisfied with my Windows setup: it's just that it's so... well... mundane. It's almost a perverse lust for the 17" PB. Err... maybe too much info there...

Every other day, I'm convinced I should wait, and then I wake up thinking I should just go and buy the damn thing now...
__________________
iPad, iMac C2D 24", HP2710p tablet, MacMini C2D, MBAir, iPod Touch, iPod Nano Ninja, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree...
ozone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 09:49 PM   #17
chaos86
macrumors 65816
 
chaos86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Send a message via AIM to chaos86
If one of the PB's does stay back on the PPC, it will be the 12". the 17", from here on out, will be the at the forefront of apple's notebook lines...

until it's EOL'd for not selling due to costing $500 more for 2" and 40GBs.
chaos86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:29 PM   #18
human657
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
why get a 17'' pb unless you have money to burn?

ibooks are a much better value
human657 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:40 PM   #19
plinkoman
macrumors 65816
 
plinkoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos86
who's gonna pay an extra $500 for 2 inches and 40 gigs of hard drive?
ummm, you wanna tell me where you got $500 from??

with a student discount, there was only a $120 difference between a 15" and a 17" of matching specs.

i know because i was originally planning on a fully loaded 15" untill i noticed how small the difference was...
__________________
15" MacBook Pro | 2.66 GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | HiRes Anti-Glare
2nd Gen iPod touch 16GB
iPad 2 WiFi 32GB - on order
plinkoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:43 PM   #20
supersalzme
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by human657
ibooks are a much better value
You are very right. Two reasons why I want a powerbook over an ibook:

-ibooks biggest model is a 14"

-I just think the ibooks look like crap, and since I have the money to spend...I rather get something that looks like it's worth, rather than a ibook which honestly to me looks like a cheap PC

Thanks to all who have givin me advice thus far!

I still am very torn on what to get....they will have to come out with a pretty amazing laptop in january for me to want to get a new one....
supersalzme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:45 PM   #21
supersalzme
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinkoman
ummm, you wanna tell me where you got $500 from??

with a student discount, there was only a $120 difference between a 15" and a 17" of matching specs.

i know because i was originally planning on a fully loaded 15" untill i noticed how small the difference was...
When did you get a 17"? Also...what applications do you use on it?
supersalzme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:00 AM   #22
generik
Banned
 
generik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minitrue
Actually do you REALLY need the portability?

I'd gladly buy TWO iMac 17" and put one and each end of my transit than to get the PB. Frankly it is really a lousy laptop for its price, so glad I got rid of mine.
generik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:06 AM   #23
generik
Banned
 
generik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minitrue
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersalzme
You are very right. Two reasons why I want a powerbook over an ibook:

-ibooks biggest model is a 14"

-I just think the ibooks look like crap, and since I have the money to spend...I rather get something that looks like it's worth, rather than a ibook which honestly to me looks like a cheap PC

Thanks to all who have givin me advice thus far!

I still am very torn on what to get....they will have to come out with a pretty amazing laptop in january for me to want to get a new one....
Don't forget there are very strong indicators that Intel iBooks will be out in the coming MWSF. Let's just throw everything out by the "Altivec fanbois" alright? Because the sad truth is, even if they put in a puny 1.6Ghz Pentium M into those new iBooks, it is still going to seriously rock the current G4 1.67's boat.

With native apps (iApps? Safari? Apple mail? Etc?) the difference will probably be really substantial, and you sure as heck won't really want to be caught dead with a $2000 PB that is virtually instantly deprecated right out of the box.

Realistically however, Rosetta does impose a small performance penalty, but even in those worse case scenarios it should be no worse than the current iBooks we have.

And *that* is assuming Apple is going to use the current Pentium Ms that will be EOL very soon.

Just wait a month, it won't hurt. If you got money to burn go to the casino or something and burn it, for all you know you might walk out richer.
generik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:09 AM   #24
chaos86
macrumors 65816
 
chaos86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Send a message via AIM to chaos86
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinkoman
ummm, you wanna tell me where you got $500 from??
apple.com
the standard 15" is $1999, the standard 17" is $2499. that's $500 difference if i'm not mistaken. i'm not talking about a 15" upgraded to match the 17" in specs. my comment was regarding the overall sales of 17" powerbooks in comparision to 15" pbooks, comparing their feature:price ratio. therefore student pricing on an upgraded 15" vs a standard 17" has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinkoman
:rolleyes:
dont roll your eyes at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos86
you barely hear about it because apple sells far fewer of them. who's gonna pay an extra $500 for 2 inches and 40 gigs of hard drive?

my advice to you for next time: read the post, think of what to say, reread the post, make sure youre not gonna sound dumb, then reply.
chaos86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 02:37 PM   #25
supersalzme
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Haha no fighting boys. All I want to know is if I should buy an old powerbook or the gen A powerbook...and I'm not waiting for the rev B because I need a laptop for next quarter.
supersalzme is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I wait for TomTom to go on sale and forget Navigon? rocknblogger iPhone and iPod touch Apps 29 Nov 18, 2011 04:38 PM
Should I buy a 15" i7 or a 17" i5 agn1 MacBook Pro 9 Nov 6, 2010 01:36 AM
Should I wait to replace 17" MacBook Pro MacSporran MacBook Pro 8 Oct 8, 2010 04:07 PM
MBP 17" Unibody: Should I wait before ordering? miguelito MacBook Pro 13 Feb 2, 2009 02:34 PM
Refurb Mac Mini Now? or Should I Wait, Wait, and Wait NyMetsFan08 Mac mini 6 Sep 29, 2008 03:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC