Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robhandley

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
Ok so I'm 4-5 days in to my new 64gb iPhone 5S and have noticed it keeps restarting itself. On several occasions I have been using it and the screen suddenly turns blue then black then on to apple logo. I have searched the web and have seen a thread on Apple forums about it. Some people say it's a hardware problem and phones need to be replaced. However some people are saying they are experiencing same problem on iPhone 4S and 5 after upgrading to ios7. Closest Apple store is out of town and unlikely to have any iphone 5S's in. Don't want to replace phone if it's just a software bug. So thought I would start a topic on here to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem?

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I've had my iPad restart itself twice since installing iOS 7 (both times in iBooks) so it's possible there's an underlying software problem.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Ok so I'm 4-5 days in to my new 64gb iPhone 5S and have noticed it keeps restarting itself. On several occasions I have been using it and the screen suddenly turns blue then black then on to apple logo. I have searched the web and have seen a thread on Apple forums about it. Some people say it's a hardware problem and phones need to be replaced. However some people are saying they are experiencing same problem on iPhone 4S and 5 after upgrading to ios7. Closest Apple store is out of town and unlikely to have any iphone 5S's in. Don't want to replace phone if it's just a software bug. So thought I would start a topic on here to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem?

I have an iPhone 5.. No problem with iOS7. I think you have a bad phone.... Sync it, back it up. and take it in. Show them how you can make it reboot, and they should replace it. Or they can download the memory dumps and verify for themselves.

There is no reason the video display should go to anything but a black screen on a bug induced reboot. I have never seen it change the screen blue.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
This happened to me and is due to some settings conflicts.

Goto settings, general, reset and choose to reset settings. This doesnt delete data, just settings like wifi passwords, selected ringtones etc.

Select that, setup all your preferences again and your good to go. No more reboots. Also should be a tad faster and battery improves.

roken

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
There was another thread about this recently, called blue screen or something.

I had this problem, no amount of restores or resets fixed it. Get it replaced ASAP! New one doesn't do it.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
There was another thread about this recently, called blue screen or something.

I had this problem, no amount of restores or resets fixed it. Get it replaced ASAP! New one doesn't do it.
Did you even read his post? The closest Apple store is out of town for him so it's not like it's an easy replacement process.

Try the easy stuff first. Erase the settings on your phone. If that doesn't work, try a restore of the software. If that still doesn't help, then seek a replacement.

A few of my friends had this issue and a simple erasing of setting cleared the problem.

roken

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
Did you even read his post? The closest Apple store is out of town for him so it's not like it's an easy replacement process.

Try the easy stuff first. Erase the settings on your phone. If that doesn't work, try a restore of the software. If that still doesn't help, then seek a replacement.

A few of my friends had this issue and a simple erasing of setting cleared the problem.

I did read the post, I too spent time in a place away from an Apple store, and if you explain that to the genius' over the phone they are able to do the entire process over the phone.

They'll even send you a new phone and then collect the old one later.

If the easy stuff doesn't work, as it didn't for me, call Apple Care and ask them to send a new one.

Robhandley

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
Cheers all. I have reset settings and will see if it happens again. I am happy to go to apple store to get phone replaced but at the minute everywhere is sold out so I'm not likely to get a replacement and can't do without phone.
My first though when it happened was that it was a hardware issue but after reading stories that people are experiencing it on there old iPads and phones I am now unsure. The last reset happened last night and it shows a debugger message: panic. There are no panic.plist crashes listed which I've read about tho.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I've had my 5S since the 1/10 and it started rebooting yesterday. I had like 7 yesterday and 4 today! So annoying. I'm going to try to reset the setting and report back later today or tomorrow.

I bought mine from the UK and I'm in Ireland so going to an Apple store won't be easy since we have none here.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
This happens with my iPhone 5 and iPad, but not my 5S, so I'd say it's not a hardware issue.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Cheers all. I have reset settings and will see if it happens again. I am happy to go to apple store to get phone replaced but at the minute everywhere is sold out so I'm not likely to get a replacement and can't do without phone.
My first though when it happened was that it was a hardware issue but after reading stories that people are experiencing it on there old iPads and phones I am now unsure. The last reset happened last night and it shows a debugger message: panic. There are no panic.plist crashes listed which I've read about tho.

They have replacements even if out of stock, set a genius appointment.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012

Restore as new. If it happens with no apps installed, it's more than likely hardware-call Apple, they can send a replacement via mail.

coolio93

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Houston, TX
This happened ALOT on my iPhone 5 and still happens a bunch on my 5S. Restoring as new doesnt really help. I believe this to be an iOS 7 issue as my logs usually show low memory which means theres a bug somewhere in iOS7's multitasking code.

Robhandley

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
I don't see how people are having the same problem with older devices if it's hardware.

Robhandley

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
How did you decide definitively that it's a hardware issue?

I haven't. Just can't get my head round the fact if it was a hardware issue why people would suddenly have the problem with older devices.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I haven't. Just can't get my head round the fact if it was a hardware issue why people would suddenly have the problem with older devices.

Oh ok. I really hope it's not hardware though. Just restored my 5S and used an iCloud backup. If I get anymore crashed I'll post back.

Robhandley

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
Oh ok. I really hope it's not hardware though. Just restored my 5S and used an iCloud backup. If I get anymore crashed I'll post back.

Yeh I'm hoping so too. I have a zagg shield on phone which will have to come off then claim for a new one of those too. Just another headache to add to it.

roken

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010

If you do want to go to a store, they do have separate stock for iPhones within exchange/return 14 days, and the genius bar otherwise has stock of unboxed new iPhones that can be given.

designk

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
panic.plist - i0s7 iphone 5

check your diagnostic, if this is in our system then you need to bring to apple and they will replace you the phone.
every since i've updated to iOS7 my iphone 5, keeps on re starting. Appe replaced my phone. The replacement came with iOS6, after a few days I updated it again to iOS7 and then it did the same thing. It kept restarting again.. I brought to apple again and they saw the panic.plst again and replaced me for the second time. They advised me not to update it, so I'm keeping my iOS 6 for a looong time.

whoever invented iOS7 is a nutjob.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.