Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Didz81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Was going to transfer some new music over to my iPhone 5 yesterday from my laptop and earlier I've been able to do this via iTunes (Drag and drop songs from folders on my computer) without any trouble. But yesterday my iTunes wouldn't recognize that my iPhone was plugged in, no matter how many times I tried, kept trying on both sides of the laptop where there are USB slots available. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit and my iPhone 5 is running the latest iOS 7 update.

It's pretty frustrating seeing that I've been able to smoothly transfer music to iPhone via iTunes before but all of a sudden it doesn't seem to work anymore. Does anyone know what could cause this? Thanks in advance!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Was going to transfer some new music over to my iPhone 5 yesterday from my laptop and earlier I've been able to do this via iTunes (Drag and drop songs from folders on my computer) without any trouble. But yesterday my iTunes wouldn't recognize that my iPhone was plugged in, no matter how many times I tried, kept trying on both sides of the laptop where there are USB slots available. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit and my iPhone 5 is running the latest iOS 7 update.

It's pretty frustrating seeing that I've been able to smoothly transfer music to iPhone via iTunes before but all of a sudden it doesn't seem to work anymore. Does anyone know what could cause this? Thanks in advance!

Have you had this problem only since updating to iOS 7?

Do you have iTunes 11.1 installed? You need that to sync with a device running iOS 7.

Didz81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Have you had this problem only since updating to iOS 7?

Do you have iTunes 11.1 installed? You need that to sync with a device running iOS 7.

I've had this problem in the past but it somehow got fixed in the end when I had iPhone 4 and earlier versions of iOS. I've been able to transfer music to my iPhone recently since I updated to iOS 7, updated iOS 7 to the lastest version yesterday right after this issue started bugging me but the update didn't seem to help. Un-installed and re-installed iTunes to see if that would help but that didn't help either. Been googling for a fix and there are tutorials saying I need to go into the Devices Manager and upate the driver for the iPhone there, did that but it was already updated. So I'm basically back to square one. I might have to try another small notebook I have lying around that runs XP, update iTunes there and see if it recognizes iPhone. If not, I'll have to keep looking around for a solution.

activate

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Firewall ?

Download the demo version of phone view to see if it recognises the device as a troubleshooting step.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I've had this problem in the past but it somehow got fixed in the end when I had iPhone 4 and earlier versions of iOS. I've been able to transfer music to my iPhone recently since I updated to iOS 7, updated iOS 7 to the lastest version yesterday right after this issue started bugging me but the update didn't seem to help. Un-installed and re-installed iTunes to see if that would help but that didn't help either. Been googling for a fix and there are tutorials saying I need to go into the Devices Manager and upate the driver for the iPhone there, did that but it was already updated. So I'm basically back to square one. I might have to try another small notebook I have lying around that runs XP, update iTunes there and see if it recognizes iPhone. If not, I'll have to keep looking around for a solution.

I can almost guarantee you that the issue is that you need to update iTunes. iOS 7 requires iTunes 11.1 to sync to the device.

Go here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/ - click where it says Download iTunes in the upper right hand corner, then on that next page click Download Now on the left hand side. Install the new version of iTunes, then try.

Didz81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
I can almost guarantee you that the issue is that you need to update iTunes. iOS 7 requires iTunes 11.1 to sync to the device.

Go here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/ - click where it says Download iTunes in the upper right hand corner, then on that next page click Download Now on the left hand side. Install the new version of iTunes, then try.

Done and done. Still nothing.

activate

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011

+1

This is a prerequisite. I have seen the iPhone 5 fail with prev iTunes. This should be done before any other troubleshooting.

----------

Have you tried reseting the phone ie. holding the power and home buttons until it goes blank and wait for the apple icon before releasing them ?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Have you tried reseting the phone ie. holding the power and home buttons until it goes blank and wait for the apple icon before releasing them ?

This was going to be my next suggestion - definitely try this if you haven't, then try plugging your phone back in.

activate

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
This was going to be my next suggestion - definitely try this if you haven't, then try plugging your phone back in.

...and if that doesn't work, putting it in recovery mode almost def (provided the issue isn't a firewall) will but I am hesitant in suggesting it.

Didz81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
[/COLOR]Have you tried reseting the phone ie. holding the power and home buttons until it goes blank and wait for the apple icon before releasing them ?

Won't that cause me to make a complete restore of my phone? Or will everything still be on it when the apple logo comes back on?

activate

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Won't that cause me to make a complete restore of my phone? Or will everything still be on it when the apple logo comes back on?

It won't modify anything on the phone. Consider it a 'proper' restart of the device.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

It won't modify anything on the phone. Consider it a 'proper' restart of the device.

This - it's a hard reset, basically restarts the phone and kills off any rogue activities, and can fix a lot of issues. It won't delete anything on your phone - consider it just a more useful version of turning your phone off, then turning it back on.

Didz81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
This - it's a hard reset, basically restarts the phone and kills off any rogue activities, and can fix a lot of issues. It won't delete anything on your phone - consider it just a more useful version of turning your phone off, then turning it back on.

Did it and then plugged the phone back onto the computer, opened iTunes but all that happens is the iPhone starting to charge the battery.

Tried with the notebook running XP but iTunes won't connect OR update there eventhough everything else seems to be online.

This is definitely NOT my day...! :mad:

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.
Did it and then plugged the phone back onto the computer, opened iTunes but all that happens is the iPhone starting to charge the battery.

Tried with the notebook running XP but iTunes won't connect OR update there eventhough everything else seems to be online.

This is definitely NOT my day...! :mad:

You are supposed to hold the Power and Home Buttons WITHOUT the IPhone connected to the computer/Mac. Just for the other person's attention.

vc73287n

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011
To OP,
This happened to me yesterday. First off, make sure you are updated to the latest version of itunes. Secondly, quit itunes, holding "cmd" and "Q" on mac, or simply "x" out on windows. Reset your phone holding both the "power" and " home" for 10 seconds until apple logo appears. Open itunes, than plug in iphone. No guarrentee but it worked for me.

kamalaggi

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Are you using a genuine apple lightning cable or a apple certified cable?

iTunes won't recogize the phone if you are not using a apple certified/genuine cable

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
iTunes won't recognize my iPhone 5 when plugged in

Are you using a genuine apple lightning cable or a apple certified cable?

iTunes won't recogize the phone if you are not using a apple certified/genuine cable

Not really, my nephew uses a third party cable and iTunes recognizes, charges and transfer just fine, but still it wouldn't hurt to try and ensure it's genuine or try other cables? Or go to a friend's place/whoever and try the iPhone's connection, TC.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

A common cause is a conflict with your mobile device support software. Often caused by doing an OTA update that needs an iTunes update as well. Often it will tell you but if you hit a checkbox to not alert you to updates that might be blocking the pop up

Or your software could've corrupted. Uninstall iTunes and download a fresh copy. See what happens.

RCC1028

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012

Had this issue for a long time and worked with Apple engineering to find an answer. For me this is what works: You have to kill and restart the apple device manager. First close Itunes.

Then go to My Computer, right click on manage, then click on Services and Applications in the left pane, and then Services in the right pane.

Then click on Apple Device Manager in the list and stop it. Wait a min or so and start it up. Bring up Itunes and it should recognize your phone. I have to do this a lot, but it works flawlessly. There is some software conflict with your computer. I have a Dell Vostro tower so it could be a Dell thing.

Hope this helps.

Didz81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Had this issue for a long time and worked with Apple engineering to find an answer. For me this is what works: You have to kill and restart the apple device manager. First close Itunes.

Then go to My Computer, right click on manage, then click on Services and Applications in the left pane, and then Services in the right pane.

Then click on Apple Device Manager in the list and stop it. Wait a min or so and start it up. Bring up Itunes and it should recognize your phone. I have to do this a lot, but it works flawlessly. There is some software conflict with your computer. I have a Dell Vostro tower so it could be a Dell thing.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much, it worked!! :) It did take some three or four attempts before it eventually worked but it was a great relief to finally see that iTunes recognized my phone again so from now on it will keep working hopefully. If not, I'll just try this again and it will be what needs to have it working again.

gusi1845

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2014

Hope this helps.

I have similar problem right now..i followed the process but unfortunately,it still didn't work..i have the latest version of itunes (11.1.5.5) installed in my acer lappy..

kwolfstorm

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
Same Here

I have similar problem right now..i followed the process but unfortunately,it still didn't work..i have the latest version of itunes (11.1.5.5) installed in my acer lappy..

I also have an acer, an aspire one, and am having the EXACT same issue, when you plug in you iPhone does it ask if you want to trust this computer and when you say yes it doesn't do anything but charge?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.