Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kapalua12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
United States
I have 2 phones on the same Verizon plan and have the opportunity to purchase another Verizon phone through the Apple Store as an additional line on my Verizon plan (this would then be the 3rd phone on my Verizon plan). Is there a means of purchasing this phone at subsidized price and then terminating it's plan for that new 3rd phone only with Verizon within days and unlocking the phone for resale to a friend? Verizon must give a week or so to cancel a new line without penalty?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You cancel the line, you're on the hook for the ETF. I think if you replace the phone with a flip phone to remove the data plan, you can keep it active.

kapalua12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
United States
You cancel the line, you're on the hook for the ETF. I think if you replace the phone with a flip phone to remove the data plan, you can keep it active.

The data plan is the shared data plan among 3 devices so I cannot really terminate the data plan and incur no fees can I? I'm keeping the other lines with Verizon.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
The data plan is the shared data plan among 3 devices so I cannot really terminate the data plan and incur no fees can I? I'm keeping the other lines with Verizon.

There is an eft per line that you have with your account. In this case, Verizon has a $350 eft per smartphone line you opened when you signed the contract, regardless whether our switch the phone out with a non smart phone or retain a smartphone on the line. If you cancel within the grace period, you can return the phone without penalty, but I believe you must pay the first month of service. Sent from my iPad.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Verizon must give a week or so to cancel a new line without penalty?
Sure but you have to return any subsidized device as well to avoid ETF.

If that's the case then removing the data plan is irrelevant. However, you'd stil have to maintain the new line to avoid ETF.

You don't get something for nothing. You get a subsidy on the device in exchange for a contract on the service. If you don't intend to keep the service then you pay the ETF. Alternately, you can avoid the hassle of the additional line entirely by paying the unsubsidized price on the device.

It's all on the Verizon site for you to reference:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/return-policy
You may terminate service for any reason within 14 days of activation. If you purchased a wireless device at a promotionalprice at the time of activation, you must return it within the device return period to avoid being assessed an Early Termination Fee of $175, or $350 if you purchased an Advanced Device. You will remain responsible for your Activation Fee unless you terminate service within three days of activation. You will also be responsible for all applicable usage fees, prorated access charges, taxes, surcharges or other charges that accrued to your account through the termination date. If you paid a security deposit, it may take between 30 and 60 days to process the return of your security deposit. The charges for any service used on the account before the service termination date may be applied against your security deposit.

Additionally, the Verizon 5, 5c & 5s are unlocked.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.