Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sharp has announced that its 32" 4K touchscreen monitor will eventually have drivers for full OS X touchscreen support, reports Japanese site Mac Otakara [Google Translate] (via 9to5Mac).

sharpmonitor.png
The display, which is aimed at retail/commercial applications (PDF), sports a 3840x2160 IGZO LCD panel and includes a capacitative touch interface and pen support. Sharp demonstrated the display running off an Apple notebook at the CEATEC Japan trade show earlier this month.

Sharp demonstrated the panel at CES earlier this year, though it wasn't running OS X at the time:

Article Link: Sharp Bringing OS X-Compatibility to New 32" 4K Touchscreen Monitor

dweezle3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Earth
Any idea on when will this be available for purchase? Regardless, I need to start saving now...

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
With Apple removing custom HiDPI modes for external monitors on Mavericks, that is going to be a very limited user experience. :mad::apple:

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Bahaha!

First apple owners mock Microsoft's touch screen implementation.

Apple osx gets touch screen implementation

"take my $$$$$!"

Hypocrisy

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
Wonder what the palm rejection would be like for this thing when using it as a canvas? I do like how that thing tilted downward!

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
With Apple removing custom HiDPI modes for external monitors on Mavericks, that is going to be a very limited user experience. :mad::apple:

I expect Mavericks to be a buggy mess considering the same team helped with iOS 7. :rolleyes:

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
I just flew in from the coast, and boy are my arms tired

NO ONE will use this after 5 minutes

you will need Gigantic shoulders

what a TERRIBLE User Interface Design

not every idea from Minority Report is worth creating

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Yes please, and for OS X - BUT! the screen has to have the ability to be angled right back, from vertical to horizontal, otherwise, your arms will want to drop off.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Touch screen has its uses and it is here already with Windows 8. Windows 8 is a rather poor implementation, but at least MS is trying.

I really wish Apple was more innovative and had touchscreen Macbooks.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
The best installation for this would be embedded into a desk surface. That would give you a place to "rest" your arms when not in use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.