Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ks987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Hi,

I have a 2012 13" MBP and just recently, I ran into a serious problem of the OS crashing then it would not restart (just have the spinning wheel with the Apple sign). I tried various ways to fix the problem, but the disk utility would not be able to verify nor repair the disk. I even saw forum posts that suggested going into single-user mode to solve the issue but that would not work either. In the end, I just decided to delete the entire partition and start-over by creating a new ML install. This was such a headache and by pure luck I was able to at least use Target Disk Mode with another MBP to pull off the files I needed.

My question is: should I be worried that my harddrive is no longer stable? I would hate for this to happen again, but once I deleted the partition and verified the drive, it said it looks OK. I'm not really sure why this is happening, as the computer is only a year old and I use it mostly for word processing and data entry. It is a 500 GB drive and I was using maybe a third of that with various programs and music and such.

Any insight or suggestions you could provide would be great.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes you should be worried. If you are just happily using your computer and this problem started on its own without you installing anything that caused it, it points to an impending hardware failure.

Try a command-r boot to recovery and do a repair and verify disk from there in Disk Util and see what you get.

It is possible, but less likely, that the drive connection cable is going bad.

I would make extra sure you are doing regular backups with this, because I would bet it will come back.

ks987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Yes you should be worried. If you are just happily using your computer and this problem started on its own without you installing anything that caused it, it points to an impending hardware failure.

Try a command-r boot to recovery and do a repair and verify disk from there in Disk Util and see what you get.

It is possible, but less likely, that the drive connection cable is going bad.

I would make extra sure you are doing regular backups with this, because I would bet it will come back.

Well I was in the middle of finishing up an iTunes update when the computer hung then restarted (and unable to get past the spinning wheel). Does that still mean it's an impending hardware failure? I can't believe that the harddrive would fail after like 13 months of owning it. I did try the recovery/repair doing command-r and because that was not working, I just deleted the partition and did a fresh install of ML today.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I could do to make sure my hard drive isn't going to crap out again? This is ridiculous.

ks987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
ALSO,

I ran Disk Utility on this new partition with new ML and after verifying, it says this volume appears to be ok. Is that satisfactory or are there more tests I can run to make sure my hard drive's condition is in good order?

Thanks in advance.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
ALSO,

I ran Disk Utility on this new partition with new ML and after verifying, it says this volume appears to be ok. Is that satisfactory or are there more tests I can run to make sure my hard drive's condition is in good order?

Thanks in advance.

It is possible for a drive to just fail after only 13 months... sometimes they just up and die. :(

You might try running the Apple Hardware Test. Sometimes you can have a bad memory chip and that will cause data corruption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.