Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilsuprano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Hey guys...I have a G4 iBook 800MHz...Never ever had a problem with it. I went to turn it on before, and I didn't hear the start-up chime. Then, it proceeds to the grey screen with the Apple logo, and the loading thing under it. It's been loading for the past 20 minutes...any ideas on what to do? I pressed the power button to turn it off, but then when it turned back on the same thing happened..

Eric

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
See if you can boot from the system disk.

pop it in, hold down C, and boot.

run the hardware test.

when my PB had the grey screen thing I had a bad HD. :eek:

lilsuprano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
katie ta achoo said:
See if you can boot from the system disk.

pop it in, hold down C, and boot.

run the hardware test.

when my PB had the grey screen thing I had a bad HD. :eek:

Okay, I put in the disk, held C and now its booting.

I just had to choose my language, now it says "Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer"

What next?

Eric

lilsuprano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Hm, nevermind. I just did "Repair Permissions", and it boots up perfectly...very weird, but thanks a lot!!! :D :D

Eric

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Typically if you have a bad hard drive it won't make it past the opening grey screen, you'll have a (\) no entry symbol, and won't boot at all. If you get the spinning thing under the Apple, but it doesn't go from there, typically it's a permissions/software issue, and can be corrected by repairing permissions or reinstalling OS X. :eek: (Better than getting a new computer!)

lilsuprano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
OutThere said:
Typically if you have a bad hard drive it won't make it past the opening grey screen, you'll have a (\) no entry symbol, and won't boot at all. If you get the spinning thing under the Apple, but it doesn't go from there, typically it's a permissions/software issue, and can be corrected by repairing permissions or reinstalling OS X. :eek: (Better than getting a new computer!)

Hah, MUCH better. Any idea why I would have to repair permissions, why would something like this happen?

Eric

PS- it's nice to be on a Mac again :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.