Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omarsoso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Hello guys i have a problem with my whatsapp application
i had an iphone 5 and whatsapp from my country
i came to the USA and everything was fine
i switched my iphone 5 which is unlocked with a locked iphone 5s
i backed up my 5 and restored 5s from back up but after opening whatsapp i have to enter my phone number but i cant receive sms because of my locked iphone 5s
is there any way to get my whatsapp account which is based on my number from a foreign country back?

i just want an answer,thanks in advance for everyone who will say:
whatsapp is ******
why dont you use unlocked iphone
try another number
contact whatsapp
etc
because this wont help me :)

Gypsy36

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2013
Canada
There is a 'change your number' option in the account settings of your app. You must be able to either receive SMS OR voice calls in order to do so. I'm assuming you can receive voice calls so you should be fine. They are going to want to verify it is you.

Otherwise, and I know you don't want to hear this, but contact What'sapp. They are good at responding. Alternatively, just set up a new account, it will repopulate all your contacts and you would lose a lot of your conversations when you port over anyway (I did between the 4 and the 5S)

Omarsoso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
thank you for reply
but i cant receive sms or voice call
im trying many different ways
i contacted whatsapp
but i want to get my number back
as example if i had a google + app in the iphone
i want to restore it from back up to get my email account back as if i forgot the password
im asking if there is a way i cant extract some file from back up and put it in my phone and i get my account back
thank you

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
AFAIK whatsapp uses the current sim phone number, you can't put another phone number and expect it to work properly. So people would need your new # to contact you, of course you can contact them first and tell them is you in the US so they can add it to their contacts.

Gypsy36

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2013
Canada
Without the ability to receive SMS or voice calls, my understanding is that you cannot transfer your old "account". It remains registered to the old number.

Omarsoso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
AFAIK whatsapp uses the current sim phone number, you can't put another phone number and expect it to work properly. So people would need your new # to contact you, of course you can contact them first and tell them is you in the US so they can add it to their contacts.

it was working with different number than the sim card and everything was fine until i switched my phone and thank you for the other suggestion but i want that number

Without the ability to receive SMS or voice calls, my understanding is that you cannot transfer your old "account". It remains registered to the old number.

yes what i want is my old account but without receiving sms or voice call
im asking if i can do it from a back up file i wish i can transfer
if there is a way to get my account back from a back up file it would be nice
im saying this because in the past restoring from back up gave me my whatsapp without verifying it again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.