Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryantm3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
how do i do this?
i've got an HP print server that's supposed to be able to let me scan thru a network. i've got a 4 in 1 printer, scanner, faxer, copier, officejet G85. i have no idea how to install a scanner. please help!

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
You might be able to manage it all with Image Capture. If you go into Image Capture and select that you wish to share your image capture devices, and then open image capture on other computers that you want to scan from, and find shared devices, you should be able to scan across the network though.

bryantm3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
OutThere said:
You might be able to manage it all with Image Capture. If you go into Image Capture and select that you wish to share your image capture devices, and then open image capture on other computers that you want to scan from, and find shared devices, you should be able to scan across the network though.
no, i mean it's not directly connected to my computer. it's connected thru my print server which is connected to my router like another computer.
i don't know how to access it from there.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
From what I can tell from HP's website, you need to be running the software that came on the CD along with the printer (also available here)to be able to do anything but print. The distinction between selection "Networked" and "Local" is also important during the setup of the printer (though you can change it in the configuration panel). "Networked" will open up more connection options, needed to be able to scan properly with the software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.