Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:18 AM   #1
MicroByte
macrumors 6502

Dell Venue 8 Pro

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/02/d...o-11-hands-on/

I've been considering something new as an alternative to my iPad Mini and the Venue 8 Pro looks great. Any initial thoughts on the device or anyone else going to potentially purchase it?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 05:33 AM   #2
watchthisspace
macrumors 6502a

It looks too nice for a Dell. I am pleasantly surprised and hope it lives up to the feedback it's been receiving

http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/03/del...d-venue-8-pro/

I liked this guys overview of the tablet.

If you're willing to sit down and learn how Windows 8 works and all the gestures, go for it! But you may end up back with the iPad Mini.

Just be aware there might not Modern UI versions of your fav apps or third party alternatives.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 04:01 AM   #3
coldmack
macrumors 6502

I like the fact that it includes some form of an active digitizer for note taking, but the fact that it uses an x86 cpu, and runs windows has me running towards dumpster.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 05:04 AM   #4
watchthisspace
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmack View Post
I like the fact that it includes some form of an active digitizer for note taking, but the fact that it uses an x86 cpu, and runs windows has me running towards dumpster.
Intel's Clover Trail is meant to be the getting up in terms of battery life, especially for an x86 processor. I say meant because I don't know whether it's true or not.

Don't blame you for not liking Windows, just as well we're gifted with excellent Android and iOS alternatives
Old Oct 10, 2013, 02:38 AM   #5
coldmack
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchthisspace View Post
Intel's Clover Trail is meant to be the getting up in terms of battery life, especially for an x86 processor. I say meant because I don't know whether it's true or not.

Don't blame you for not liking Windows, just as well we're gifted with excellent Android and iOS alternatives
Except we really aren't. Where are the true Apple machines, i.e. an ARM based MBA, or at the very least give me a damn USB port on the iPad. There are times I just want to simply plug in my camera or external without the need for an extra cable.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:59 AM   #6
spinedoc77
macrumors 601

This looks pretty awesome IMO, I think I'll be first in line for it if they offer it with LTE. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd have a freakin FULL windows machine in an 8" tablet.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Very interesting
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices