Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

activate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
I've noticed that notifications sounds eg. mail, reminders are mute when music is playing. Is this normal behaviour ?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I've noticed that notifications sounds eg. mail, reminders are mute when music is playing. Is this normal behaviour ?
If you are talking about when you are hooked up to a car stereo, that depends on the car stereo. Some will mute anything that is not music, such as the phone ringing. Some have a place in the settings where you can turn this function on or off, some do not.

activate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
If you are talking about when you are hooked up to a car stereo, that depends on the car stereo. Some will mute anything that is not music, such as the phone ringing. Some have a place in the settings where you can turn this function on or off, some do not.

I see. Yes this is the iPad mini hooked up to the car stereo via usb. Ok, I shall see if I can find a way to enable them.

Thanks.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013

Thought this was pretty normal to be honest. I get them as well if i'm on the phone, listening to music through headphones or watching something like a video in the video app. If you put it in silent mode this doesnt happen but if you think about it you would expect it to work like this. If you were walking somewhere listening to the music app you still need notifying of a message, phone call etc.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
I think its pretty neat because you will still know you have a notification when the music fades.

activate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
I think its pretty neat because you will still know you have a notification when the music fades.

Yeah but you're only aware that A notification has arrived but the sound distinguishes it. I'd prefer to hear it.

OK since you ask :)

The iPad mini is permanently installed in the car. What I did recently was added all the addresses from my contacts as individual location reminders in the reminder app. So what is supposed to happen is your car 'talks' to you and tells you hey You've arrived at so and so's place or says 'Welcome back' when you arrive back home. Just fun stuff!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.