Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

View Poll Results: Salmonella poisoning is whose fault?
Foster Farms 20 74.07%
Consumers 6 22.22%
Undecided 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:20 AM   #1
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Salmonella. It's what's for dinner.

Foster Farms has been linked to salmonella contaminated chicken products that have sickened an estimated 278 people in 18 states. Despite this outbreak, Foster Farms is not yet recalling its product and is instead just advising consumers prepare and cook the chicken properly.

Is this what food product safety has come to?

Sanitary food preparation and cooking should be practiced by everybody. However, when you know you product is contaminated, then it would seem to me that product must be recalled. I think it's ludicrous to count on people to properly handle contaminated food. 278 cases of food poisoning would indicate that people aren't always up to the task.

I'd suggest that if this is the new standard that Foster Farms wishes to operate under, there should be a large warning label on all their products as well as clear instructions about how to handle their product and clean up afterwards.

Thoughts?
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:40 AM   #2
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Why isn't the FDA shutting them down? Is there a certain number of victims to reach?
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:48 AM   #3
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
Why isn't the FDA shutting them down? Is there a certain number of victims to reach?
There appears to be at least some problem connected to the government shutdown ... at least in obtaining information.

Brilliant.

Quote:
At least 278 illnesses caused by salmonella Heidelberg linked to the chicken brand have been reported, mostly in California, according to the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service. The products were distributed mainly to outlets in California, Oregon and Washington state.

The notice follows an outbreak earlier this year traced to Foster Farms raw chicken in which 134 people in 13 states became ill, but it appears to be a separate, new incident, said Barbara Reynolds, a spokeswoman for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That outbreak, which was declared over in July, sickened 40 people in Oregon and 57 in Washington state and sent 33 patients to the hospital.

Neither agency could provide many details about the latest outbreak because of limited staffing caused by a week-long government shutdown.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/foster...lla-8C11353220
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:16 PM   #4
MacNut
macrumors P6

Isn't a big reason for Salmonella not cooking or washing chicken well enough? Like all food don't you have to take precautions before consuming?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:22 PM   #5
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Isn't a big reason for Salmonella not cooking or washing chicken well enough? Like all food don't you have to take precautions before consuming?
You can touch the chicken uncooked with your bare hands, then eat a snack(like a fruit or potato chip), or grab another food to go with the meal, with the same hand. Now you've caught Salmonella, even though you cooked the chicken very well. Most people if any, don't actually wash hands between handling differ foods when preparing one meal.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:26 PM   #6
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
You can touch the chicken uncooked with your bare hands, then eat a snack(like a fruit or potato chip), or grab another food to go with the meal, with the same hand. Now you've caught Salmonella, even though you cooked the chicken very well. Most people if any, don't actually wash hands between handling differ foods when preparing one meal.
Every person on TV tells you not to handle raw chicken, or any raw meat without washing your hands after. Also don't put raw chicken on the same counter space with vegetables.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:29 PM   #7
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Every person on TV tells you not to handle raw chicken, or any raw meat without washing your hands after. Also don't put raw chicken on the same counter space with vegetables.
Unfortunately I doubt most people follow that. People rarely wash their hands before eating out, just imagine what most do in the comfort of their own home. And yes, I've been guilty as well but I'm more aware now.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:45 PM   #8
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Unfortunately I doubt most people follow that. People rarely wash their hands before eating out, just imagine what most do in the comfort of their own home. And yes, I've been guilty as well but I'm more aware now.
Can you blame the farm for peoples stupidity tho.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:14 PM   #9
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Well that's the real question here.

My opinion is that within a big population, you'll always have a significant number of people who aren't aware of something like proper food handling.

That's why I suggested (only partially tongue-in-cheek) that maybe it's time chicken came with a big warning label and clear handling instructions.

I'd prefer to see food producers recall their product when they know it's contaminated with a dangerous bacteria.

But that's so old-school.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:17 PM   #10
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post

My opinion is that within a big population, you'll always have a significant number of people who aren't aware of something like proper food handling.

That's why I suggested (only partially tongue-in-cheek) that maybe it's time chicken came with a big warning label and clear handling instructions.

I'd prefer to see food producers recall their product when they know it's contaminated with a dangerous bacteria.

Does all chicken have a risk for dangerous for bacteria?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:33 PM   #11
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Well there have been outbreaks with eggs and fish too. What about those who eat eggs raw(something I use to do), and those who eat sushi. Should the consumer be at fault for foreign contaminants that don't come from their own doing?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:34 PM   #12
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Well there have been outbreaks with eggs and fish too. What about those who eat eggs raw(something I use to do), and those who eat sushi. Should the consumer be at fault for foreign contaminants?
I would say eating both are stupid.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:46 PM   #13
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I would say eating both are stupid.
Cantaloupe was also plagued not to long ago. I dare you to call one of the best tasting fruit stupid.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:47 PM   #14
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Cantaloupe was also plagued not to long ago.
This is the one that gets me. I was fine with contaminated food so long as it only killed off you carnivores. But now that I realize veg-heads like me are at risk, something must be done!
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:50 PM   #15
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
This is the one that gets me. I was fine with contaminated food so long as it only killed off you carnivores. But now that I realize veg-heads like me are at risk, something must be done!
Well thanks for caring about us ....
Old Oct 8, 2013, 07:56 PM   #16
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

Quote:
(...) as well as clear instructions about how to handle their product and clean up afterwards.

(...)
While I find it is the companies fault, a joke comes to my mind.

Please forgive me!

A friend of mine just came back from the US and we put a frozen pizza in the oven and he looked at the box, where there was a written explanation, than he looked at the pictured explanation next to it and said "ah, this one must be the one for Americans".
Cox Orange is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:44 PM   #17
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Foster Farms has been linked to salmonella contaminated chicken products that have sickened an estimated 278 people in 18 states. Despite this outbreak, Foster Farms is not yet recalling its product and is instead just advising consumers prepare and cook the chicken properly.

Is this what food product safety has come to?

Sanitary food preparation and cooking should be practiced by everybody. However, when you know you product is contaminated, then it would seem to me that product must be recalled. I think it's ludicrous to count on people to properly handle contaminated food. 278 cases of food poisoning would indicate that people aren't always up to the task.
The problem is that with industrialized chicken production there is virtually no way for all the chicken to be clean enough. So, in a way, Foster Farms is just being realistic and saying that if you buy their chicken, or, any other chicken produced the same way, there is a risk. Therefore, you should handle all such chicken as if it is definitely contaminated. There is a certain logic to this.

Quote:
True, but, it only takes one mistake. It is unfortunately that an everyday food product requires handling in the kitchen as if it is contaminated.

Quote:
I don't accept this particular chicken production method.

Quote:

Unfortunately, all such chicken is contaminated to some level some of the time. It is a matter of degree.

Quote:
Cantaloupe was also plagued not to long ago. I dare you to call one of the best tasting fruit stupid.
Cantaloupe, and lettuce. Lettuce and other salad ingredients are especially tricky because it is almost always eaten raw and you eat the leaves. At least with cantaloupe, you can wash the outside and you are eating the inside. It isn't perfect, but, it is lower risk.

Quote:
jnpy!$4g3cwk is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:05 PM   #18
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Chicken does come with clean handling instructions in my grocery stores. All uncooked meats will develop dangerous bacteria if not handled properly. Cooks need to practice basic hygiene. And common sense.
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:09 AM   #19
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Don't. Wash. Your. Chicken.

Unless you're washing the chicken with soap, you're just spreading salmonella around your kitchen.

Instead, you have to handle meat and eggs carefully. If you handle raw meat you should wash your hands. All utensils should be washed and you should use different cutting boards at minimum.

Generally speaking, meat is the best vector for pathogens, but there have been outbreaks because of melons, spinach, and tomatoes.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 01:19 AM   #20
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Between this thread and the government shutting down, I dunno if I want to go outside anymore.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 03:52 AM   #21
shinji
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No, but they also chose not to recall the chicken, which is infected with an antibiotic-resistant strain of salmonella. And it's not the first outbreak from this company, either http://www.nbcnews.com/health/salmon...rug-6C11357570
shinji is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 05:43 AM   #22
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post

Cantaloupe, and lettuce. Lettuce and other salad ingredients are especially tricky because it is almost always eaten raw and you eat the leaves. At least with cantaloupe, you can wash the outside and you are eating the inside. It isn't perfect, but, it is lower risk.

The Cantaloupe issue was on the inside as well. Says it can spread to the inside if washed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_987125.html
Old Oct 9, 2013, 05:08 PM   #23
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

My inner *******tatian says this is all ok because the so-called free market will simply punish Foster Farms for the outbreak. Hell, here's an even better idea.... How about Foster Farms sell the unregulated chicken at a discount for all us simple-minded *******tarian folk who want the freedom to eat salmonella laced chicken?
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 06:52 PM   #24
G51989
In Time-Out

As someone who worked at a very popular BBQ place during college, and ended up being a kitchen manager my senior year, as well as being serve safe certified.

Sometimes contaminated chicken occurs, that's why you must always cook it to at least 165F before serving, that will kill any bacteria inside the meat.
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:35 PM   #25
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

I can't help wondering what Foster Farms sales figures are going to look like this month.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues