Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Posting on behalf of the significant other. Here is what's going on:

Cannot purchase programs from the Apple TV. No error message or anything; it just goes from authorizing/loading back to the episode information page.

Content already purchased under his Apple ID will not play on the Apple TV. When he clicks play, it does the same thing: says "loading" but then goes back to the episode information page.

There are no error messages or prompts to enter or verify any payment information. It's not a hardware issue. When I go under his account on my Apple TV, I see the same results. When he goes under my account on his Apple TV, he doesn't have any issues.

It seems to be an account issue, but we can't figure out how to resolve it. Signing out/in doesn't help. Restarting the device doesn't help.

Any thoughts or anyone else experiencing this?

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
New wrinkle: the Apple TV is less than a year old (I got it for him for Xmas last year), and Apple won't offer him phone support. I find this particularly irritating, since it's clearly NOT hardware related (I get the same results when logged into his account on my Apple TV). It's a problem with their server and/or his account that can't be resolved on our end.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
i had something like this happen, turned out id forgotten to update my payment details with apple when my card expired so they were waiting on payment for a previous purchase that had failed..

Whilst in this "failed" state i could not download anything new, or even update apps on my phone, but i got no messages from apple about it except an email, almost a month after i "fixed" the issue myself telling me my card had expired..

in the mean time the Apple TV did exactly what you describe , just dumped me back when trying to purchase or rent

check the billing details are good in iTunes on a PC, potentially un-register any iDevices via iTunes as well, then re-connect the apple TV to the iTunes account after doing a factory reset on it.

if all else fails, get in to see a "genius" at an apple store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.