Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:12 PM   #1
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

What harm is there in registering firearms?!?!

Here is one reason firearm registration is a bad idea.

This group is trying to force local governments to turn over gun owner records.

http://www.lohud.com/article/2013100...permit-records
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:14 PM   #2
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Yeah, us gun grabbers, as you like to say, uh never mind........ What ever I have to say just hits a wall with closed-minded people.
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:18 PM   #3
MacNut
macrumors P6

The records should only be available to police depts. Just like you can't go through DMV records and do a search on a person the same should apply to gun records.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:22 PM   #4
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
What's the reason? I don't see a reason, just an article saying a newspaper is trying to gain access to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
The records should only be available to police depts. Just like you can't go through DMV records and do a search on a person the same should apply to gun records.
This is reasonable.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
I would say they should have the same protection as medical records.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:36 PM   #6
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
What's the reason? I don't see a reason, just an article saying a newspaper is trying to gain access to the list.

You don't see a reason? REALLY? Wow.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
You don't see a reason? REALLY? Wow.
That's no more a reason than saying we should not have any registries of anything because then somebody might try to look it up. So ... the correct way of putting is no good reason.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:45 PM   #8
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I am against registration.
In my opinion where you are required to register it should require a court order for even the Police to look at any firearm ownership records.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:47 PM   #9
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:

If just to make an observation, this directly relates to the thread I posted here regarding your personal data, which gun registration is, and how that would be protected by the 4th Amendment. But I find it so very ironic and funny that you would care about that only when it involves your guns. I wonder why...

BL.

Last edited by bradl; Oct 8, 2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added URL to thread
bradl is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:47 PM   #10
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
That's no more a reason than saying we should not have any registries of anything because then somebody might try to look it up. So ... the correct way of putting is no good reason.
You fail to see the point that gun ownership is a right. Even the request should be treated as harassment.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:49 PM   #11
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
You fail to see the point that gun ownership is a right. Even the request should be treated as harassment.
There are limits to that right (here we go again). And as I've said, funny how you'll plead the 2nd when you may turn a blind eye to the 4th up until it impedes the 2nd.

BL.
bradl is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:50 PM   #12
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
I am against registration.
In my opinion where you are required to register it should require a court order for even the Police to look at any firearm ownership records.
Even if a gun is stolen or in a murder? Why should the police have to cut through weeks of red tape to find a killer? Guns are a right to an extent. You can't just walk into a story and buy a gun straight off the shelf nor should you be able too. Not everyone should have a gun in their hands.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:55 PM   #13
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Even if a gun is stolen or in a murder? Why should the police have to cut through weeks of red tape to find a killer? Guns are a right to an extent. You can't just walk into a story and buy a gun straight off the shelf nor should you be able too. Not everyone should have a gun in their hands.
First, it doesn't take weeks to get a warrant.
Second, how is looking at gun registration going to find a killer if a firearm is stolen?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:57 PM   #14
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Second, how is looking at gun registration going to find a killer if a firearm is stolen?
Don't you have to register a gun now? Doesn't every gun have a serial number that gets traced back to the owner? So you just want unregistered guns on the streets with no way to trace them? Is that what you are suggesting?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:58 PM   #15
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
See, that's your problem. You don't know what harassment actually is. And you don't know that rights are not absolute. I feel that your understanding of the issue is likely lacking beyond the idea that you like guns a lot and somebody said registries were bad so you naturally agree because it was likely the NRA or another gun-lover.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 02:01 PM   #16
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Because you can go to the original owner, find out when/how it was stolen, and try to figure out who stole it. Duh.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 02:03 PM   #17
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Don't you have to register a gun now?
I don't have to.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 02:04 PM   #18
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
thank you for proving my point about your lack of such intensity for the 4th Amendment as you have for the 2nd Amendment. It's also sadder that you don't see how important the erosion of the 4th Amendment is. But hey, as long as you have your guns, everything is okay.

Quote:
Simple. They won't need a warrant to get your registration. All they need to do is subpoena the bank for your recent purchases, and they'll get the data that way. No warrant required. And it isn't just the government that can do that. As a lawyer is a member/clerk of the court, ANY LAWYER can issue that subpoena and get that data themselves.

But hey, as long as you got your guns, everything is okay.

BL.

Last edited by bradl; Oct 8, 2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling correction
bradl is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 02:04 PM   #19
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
I don't have to.
So you file off the serial numbers on all of your weapons?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 02:05 PM   #20
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Unless someone has a reason for keeping their identity secret (domestic abuse cases come to mind), why shouldn't all guns be registered, and, ownership be a public record?
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 02:07 PM   #21
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
Unless someone has a reason for keeping their identity secret (domestic abuse cases come to mind), why shouldn't all guns be registered, and, ownership be a public record?
If the ownership is publicly available they are probably more likely to be stolen.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 02:08 PM   #22
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
Because you can go to the original owner, find out when/how it was stolen, and try to figure out who stole it. Duh.
Oh you found my gun! Thank you I dropped it at the crime scene! Really?

The statement is "try to figure out" even in this case what is wrong with requesting a warrant to unseal the records?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 02:08 PM   #23
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Public record is a bad idea, as long as the people that need the information have access to it that is all we need.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 02:11 PM   #24
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why shouldn't DMV records be public or medical records be public as well? If you use your credit card at the DMV or other Government office do you think that your Credit card number should be entered into public record?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 02:12 PM   #25
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Oh you found my gun! Thank you I dropped it at the crime scene! Really?
No, more like they cops go ask the person who it was stolen from what happened. He could refer them to the local PD that he reported it being stolen to, they may have more info. Maybe a bunch of guns were stolen from houses over a short period of time, and several of the *other* stolen guns are already tied to a perp, and this one may be too. Detective work.

Quote:
The statement is "try to figure out" even in this case what is wrong with requesting a warrant to unseal the records?
If you don't need a warrant to look up my license plate and find out my registration info (address, etc), I fail to see why a gun would be any different. As you've pointed out many times before, a car is a deadly weapon too!

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues