Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corinnew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
New Jersey
I hit the power buttonon my power book this morning and it made a funny noise and didn't turn on. I tried it again and it came on fine, but now the display seems dark (not as bright as before).

any ideas?

corinnew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
New Jersey
um, ok. But does that mean that this is a "known" problem? (Have to wait until the morning to call-so figured I'd ask.)

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
It sounds to me like the back light has gone in your PowerBook, and even if it isn't the machine needs to be repaired. If you don't mind me asking what did you actually think you could do by posting here? I really don't understand my $ITEM is broken posts, yeah that is nice get it fixed! :)

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Well it seems like an ok question for the 'Mac basics and help' forum to me.
First step is to check that you haven't inadvertantly lowered the brightness - check System Prefs, Display and play with the brightness setting. Or use the F1 and F2 keys on your keyboard.
Second step if that doesn't work is to reboot - probably won't do anything but its free and only takes a minute. Then repair permissions - again, unlikely to do anything but still free!
Thirdly, compare it with someone elses PB. Could be that the easiest way to do this is to go to an Apple Store, in which case it should then be easy to do...
The final thing, which is to ask Apple.

You could try a search of this forum, but you'll probably just find loads of threads on the latest PB screen probs and dead pixels.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
stevep said:
Well it seems like an ok question for the 'Mac basics and help' forum to me.
First step is to check that you haven't inadvertantly lowered the brightness - check System Prefs, Display and play with the brightness setting. Or use the F1 and F2 keys on your keyboard.
I was thinking exactly the same thing as your first tip. Sometimes it can dim itself without warning, all laptops do. One woman came into our store with a Toshiba laptop that was "faulty", having a dark display, her son, an I.T. "expert", had confirmed to her that it was damaged and she brought it back. It was out of the two years guarantee we give, but still was still insistant we should pick up any repair bills, so I swicthed it on to look at it and turned up the brightness. She looked stunned and said it hadn't done that for herself and that because her son said it was faulty, it must be anyway. I told her that if we sent it off for repair, she was picking up any bills for it, she said it was fine and then proceeded to contact her lawyer husband, (who advises her never to extend warranties, because apparently stupidity outside of guarantee is covered under law).

Anyway, after that tangent, I would also agree that this is the right place for asking help. Even if it was damaged, just asking "Is it damaged" would warrant a place here.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Ok...well, back on topic now.....:rolleyes:

corinnew, have you tried zapping the PRAM? This will reset your backlight to its maximum setting. Reboot the computer, immediately press and hold the command-option-P-R keys until you hear the startup sound a second time. See if that helps.

corinnew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
New Jersey
I posted here because I needed help. So, thanks to those who gave their suggestions. I did a few things here at home to see if I could resolve it. I can't. Apple is taking it in for a "failed light bulb" repair.

Thx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.