Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 8, 2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Findog
macrumors newbie

Documents and data/iphone

I have a ton of my iphone memory taken up by "Documents and data." What is that and how do I get rid of it to free up space on my phone? It taking up about 5GB of my 16GB iphone 5. I went to settings/icloud and turned off "documents and data" but its still showing it taking up space on my phone. HELP please!!
Findog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 05:05 PM   #2
verwon
macrumors 68030

It's exactly what those words say it is, documents and data in your phone!

It can be various apps that need to store settings and information, such as SoundHound, text documents you've typed and saved in another app and etc.
verwon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 05:50 PM   #3
fraktur
macrumors member

iMessage/MMS media (pictures/videos) sent/received take up a lot of space if you tend not to delete those conversations. I used to have some that were years old and had a lot of pictures sent back and forth (which are all kept in the "Other" section) and took up several gigs.

This might be worth taking a look at if you've deleted conversations and they still take up space, it's a known bug.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1644894
fraktur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Findog
macrumors newbie

So how do I delete this info to free up space? I cant tell if text messages etc are saved or not. I delete the message once the conversation is over and really don't have any apps that keep data in them?????
Findog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 06:07 PM   #5
fraktur
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findog View Post
So how do I delete this info to free up space? I cant tell if text messages etc are saved or not. I delete the message once the conversation is over and really don't have any apps that keep data in them?????
You can download iBackupBot and try this

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...4&postcount=19
fraktur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 04:42 AM   #6
Nike.1982
macrumors newbie

Every App contains more or less the size of "Documents& data". Some apps can use iCloud backup function to upload contents to iCloud, such as Whatsapp. When you backup your whatsapp contents to iCloud. It will be part of iCloud "Documents& data".

But most of apps can't upload their "documents& data" to iCloud, those "documents& data" take up a lot of iPhone storage. In addition, they can not be removed by ourself. And you can look up them.
Setting->General->Usage->**.app->Documents & Data
The only way to delete them without deleting the app itself is to use tools which can access your iPhone app directory.
http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...leting-the-app
Nike.1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting