Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mumford

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2006
Altadena, CA
it's been removed since mountain lion hasn't it? I prefer it that way anyway

You prefer transparent or you prefer transparency removed?

Regardless, why not both? A simple opacity slider would be all that's needed to please everyone. I usually go with a dark desktop background, and the blaring bright dock bothers me.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
It's now drawn with software instead of image files, so there is no easy way of modding the dock just yet. It's more of a translucent reflection with full opacity now.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Yep, I miss Transdock. Not thrilled with the gray block on my monitor. Hopefully someone will relieve this soon.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
You prefer transparent or you prefer transparency removed?

Regardless, why not both? A simple opacity slider would be all that's needed to please everyone. I usually go with a dark desktop background, and the blaring bright dock bothers me.

I prefer the mountain lion dock (and now mavericks) but I wouldn't mind an option to turn it on of course. (That won't happen though)

----------

lack of options is apple's achilles heel

No transparency in Windows 8 either. That's why I'm staying in W7

Mumford

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2006
Altadena, CA
I prefer the mountain lion dock (and now mavericks) but I wouldn't mind an option to turn it on of course. (That won't happen though)

The Mountain Lion dock is transparent when it's on the left or right. That's what's lost moving to Mavericks.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i wish i understood why apple, with it's 'hip' image, is SO adamant that all our apple devices (macs, ipads, iPhones), HAVE to look the same.

why can't we have some customization? we've bought our computers, we OWN them...why can't i have a black menubar (i do, btw), or a transparent dock?

or 5 icons across a screen (the ipad looks ridiculous as it is).

just...frustrating. with each new OS, i find ways to modify the GUI to my liking.
hope that mavericks won't make that impossible...

desk.jpg

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
The Mountain Lion dock is transparent when it's on the left or right. That's what's lost moving to Mavericks.

Oh I didn't know that. I just saw what it looks like, indeed it would need some transparency but I prefer having a bottom dock so it's no big deal to me.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Do you guys do things with your devices, or just things to your devices? :confused:

These changes are so subtle that people who use these for work would have never noticed.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Do you guys do things with your devices, or just things to your devices? :confused:

These changes are so subtle that people who use these for work would have never noticed.

They aren't subtle. One of the reasons I prefer the ML 2D dock is that the open app indicator is much easier to read against a black background, making it...easier for work.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere

i spend most of each day at my mac; if i have to look at ANYTHING that much...i'd like it to look the way i want (just ask my GF... :D )

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
They aren't subtle. One of the reasons I prefer the ML 2D dock is that the open app indicator is much easier to read against a black background, making it...easier for work.

That's understandable... but at the same time, Macs want you to work, they don't want you to work on managing open/closing apps to optimize memory, etc. I'm not saying the dock changes were to stop you from doing that, but if you're clicking on the dock to get to the programs, it shouldn't matter if they're already open or not.

With that said, I do agree a darker dock would make the indicator easier to read.

felo500

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
hey, fisherking, just wondering where you got the desktop background pic from.
thanks

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Is there a way to lock the Dock so that moving the mouse to the bottom of the screen doesn't cause the Dock to appear?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Is there a way to lock the Dock so that moving the mouse to the bottom of the screen doesn't cause the Dock to appear?

that's an interesting question...

i haven't used the dock since 10.4. i keep it locked away, and have other ways of accessing things (launchpad, the app switcher, mailunreadmenu in the menubar)...

i've always hated the dock (at least, on a 13" mbp).
i use this...but it's not for everyone...

i have a key command (control-option-command-D) to lock & unlock it)...

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
that's an interesting question...

i haven't used the dock since 10.4. i keep it locked away, and have other ways of accessing things (launchpad, the app switcher, mailunreadmenu in the menubar)...

i've always hated the dock (at least, on a 13" mbp).
i use this...but it's not for everyone...

i have a key command (control-option-command-D) to lock & unlock it)...

I think another way you could do it is to set the delay of showing the dock to some huge number using the terminal.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I think another way you could do it is to set the delay of showing the dock to some huge number using the terminal.

that's been true...but reported to not work in mavericks. can someone TRY 'dock gone' in mavericks? (am still on ML). one benefit of this app...control. i can unhide the dock (ie if i want to check the files in the trash)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.