Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Hi all. I obtained an Intel iMac off Craigslist for $25. It works fine, just needs a hard drive and hard drive sensor.

I plan to resell it, but I am wondering what is best for the resell value of this iMac...is it better to sell it (almost) stock at a total expense of $40, or maxed out? By almost stock, I mean nothing added but the hard drive sensor and a new Core 2 Duo processor (it currently has a 1.83GHz Core Duo processor).

On the other hand, what if I max it out? My plans would be max RAM, the hi-res 1920x1200 screen upgrade (new LCD + adapter totals $100), and possibly a $75 128GB SSD. This would cost me a minimum of $230 with the iMac included.

Last option would be the same as the previous, but leaving out the LCD upgrade as I am unsure if buyers would care enough to pay extra for that. My total expense would be $130.

In summary, I need help evaluating which route would bring the most money in after subtracting all expenses, based on your opinions.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'd leave out the LCD upgrade, it would work well when paired with that iMac's GPU. A CPU upgrade would give it Lion abilities as well as 64-bit Snow Leopard. And as long as it isn't an educational model, you could flash the firmware to allow it to read 3.3GB of ram instead of 2GB.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Much appreciated. I didn't think potential buyers would see the point in paying more for the upgraded screen on a 7 year old computer, so I will skip that.

Do you have more info on the firmware flash? I did a google search but could not find any, maybe I'm using the wrong terms. :eek:

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I did find the link, so thank you, Intell.

Also, would $75 on an SSD be too much to spend on upgrading this iMac for resell? I have a 320GB HDD that I can throw in there for no cost to me, but if an SSD brings the value up higher then I'll go with that.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
An SSD would make that iMac feel like a completely new machine. So new that you may want to keep it around. Any cheap SSD will work wonders in there. Don't forget it has SATA I and won't benefit from a faster SATA II or III drive. I would also suggest staying away from a Sandforce based drive.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Great! Which drives are Sandforce-based? I ordered a Samsung SSD that is not anything special like the 830 or 840 series. According to my research, it is one made as an OEM product for computer manufacturers to use when customers order laptops equipped with SSDs. Its model number is MMCRE28G5MXP-OVB.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Some Intell, OWC, and OCZ drives are Sandforce based. Samsungs are not, they use their own controller. Good choice on the drive. Those are nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.