Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced plans for its next two rounds of launches for the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, with the devices coming to 35 new countries including Italy, Russia, and Spain on Friday, October 25. Another round will follow on Friday, November 1, bringing the devices to an additional 16 countries, including India and Mexico.

iphone_5s_5c.jpg
- October 25: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, French West Indies, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Reunion Island, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan and Thailand.

- November 1: Albania, Armenia, Bahrain, Colombia, El Salvador, Guam, Guatemala, India, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Montenegro, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and United Arab Emirates.

Following that November 1 round of launches, the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c will be available in over 60 countries, putting Apple well on its way to reaching its stated target of availability in 100 countries by the end of the year.

Article Link: Apple Announces Two New Rounds of International iPhone 5s and 5c Launches Starting on October 25

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Still waiting to get a 5s that isn't defective in some way.

1st phone (got on launch day): Nonstop crashes.
2nd: Home button defective.
3rd: Even more nonstop crashes + blue screen of death.

But hey, Apple is being helpful so let's just hope that the one I get on Friday is a good one. I guess it's bad luck? :apple:

It's great that they can role these phones out so quickly into countries around the world. Does anybody remember the part of the WWDC 2008 keynote where Jobs showed all of the countries that the iPhone 3G would be heading into, while "Small World" played on the speakers of Moscone?

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
Still waiting to get a 5s that isn't defective in some way.

1st phone (got on launch day): Nonstop crashes.
2nd: Home button defective.
3rd: Even more nonstop crashes + blue screen of death.

But hey, Apple is being helpful so let's just hope that the one I get on Friday is a good one. I guess it's bad luck? :apple:

Ok, the 2nd one I can see, but 1 and 3.... I need pics

sirdir

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
About time. Someway one can understand and accept this slowness. Everyone wants to have one. :eek:

I can't. At least online orders are sent from where the phone was manufactured anyway (China, in my case). So, why can't I order a phone in Spain? Why have I order it to a friend in Germany that has to send it to me then?

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
I wish I could understand the logic behind that schedule. Why is South America not part of that list, or at least Argentina, Brazil and Chile, three countries whose markets are way bigger than several of those in the two availability lists?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I can't. At least online orders are sent from where the phone was manufactured anyway (China, in my case). So, why can't I order a phone in Spain? Why have I order it to a friend in Germany that has to send it to me then?

Because they make commitments to each of their carriers. They plan rollouts in advance so that they can be sure that each carrier gets its allotment. The phones are selling faster than they can make them right now.

andyjam

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I wish I could understand the logic behind that schedule. Why is South America not part of that list, or at least Argentina, Brazil and Chile, three countries whose markets are way bigger than several of those in the two availability lists?

Its far easier to extend the rollout to smaller countries that are right next to massive ones than the extend the rollout to a totally new region.

It should only be another few weeks before they add virtually all of South America at once, given how quickly this round has come up.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
cue in the 'how dare they release it internationally when it's already sold out next door' comments...

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008

That may be the reason. With limited availability it may be more effective to roll out to smaller markets at this point.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I was hoping that the availability in the US would start improving. But with all these additional countries contributing to the demand....

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Sigh. Still waiting for my wife's phone to ship. Ordered before 9AM eastern time launch day. The delivery date has already been extended a week.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Ok, the 2nd one I can see, but 1 and 3.... I need pics

My first one had a big scratch on the screen. I called apple and after arguing for 4 days sent me a new one. That is good. I am sending the first one back today.

My wife got her gold one and it has a dot next to the apple logo on the back. Wonder if a speck got on it before the gold got on it. We have not decided what to do. I figured it might get that way before too long. But getting a new one with that blemish is disheartening especially for an apple product.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
I wish I could, but it's hard to get a shot of your phone randomly rebooting three times a day.

Ever think you got a defective unit and ask for replacement? You know, millions has been sold and there are no news that significant number have complaints like yours

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Here we (don't) go again.

Brazil, once again, the last one. What a sad little country.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I've yet to see one (in stock) in a store.

I ordered a 5S online as soon as AT&T started accepting them. But, the order didn't actually go through for 8 days, because AT&T's order status page did not clearly state action was required by me.

Once I figured out I needed to do something and did it, my 5S shipped the next day, and arrived 2 days later. However, it was a 32 GB slate gray model, not gold or silver.

I took my phone in to be activated (had to put it on our share plan, and migrate my wife's 4S to my old 5), and the AT&T rep said the wait list for the gold 5S was over 45 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.