Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 9, 2013, 08:42 AM   #1
guzhogi
macrumors 68020
 
guzhogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wherever my feet take me…
Should A Person's Opinion be Dismissed Due to a Grammatical Error?

This was posted in another thread. I find it trolling and hurtful.

Quote:
People who can't use proper grammar should have their opinions overlooked (e.g. don't let someone who says "We could of used less fuel in our Space Station resupply mission.", work at NASA). You just don't need incompetent people's opinions, for the good of mankind.
I disagree that just because someone had a grammatical mistake, especially something as simple as using "of" instead of "have", makes that person incompetent. I find what makes someone competent is not necessarily how someone talks, but what that person talks about.

In this person's example regarding people working at NASA, I wonder if he would totally dismiss someone who holds several doctorates just because English may be his/her 2nd, 3rd, or 4th+ language? I wonder if this person is one of those people who wants the USA's main language set to English and anyone who doesn't speak it perfectly should get deported.

While I admit, speaking a language correctly is important to be able to understand one another, just to dismiss an opinion outright due to grammatical errors is wrong, in my opinion.
guzhogi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020
 
Mac'nCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
You makes very good points and is reason why forum rules does say that it is against them to correct grammar and spelling and such as.
Mac'nCheese is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 08:54 AM   #3
likemyorbs
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
It depends. If English is the person's first language and they still make grammatical errors, it's a sign of laziness. If you are an adult and your entire life you have been been saying "could of" instead of "could have" and never bothered to think about how "could of" doesn't make any sense, it just seems like laziness. Obviously a person who makes grammatical errors is not very detail oriented. It just reminds me of texting tweens. I can see how it is difficult to take these peoples' opinions seriously.
likemyorbs is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 09:13 AM   #4
elistan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver/Boulder, CO
IMO, offer up a correction, but otherwise evaluate the post based on the content, not the delivery.

Only if the post is incomprehensible or overly difficult to read should it be dismissed.

Although I do admit to having a twitch every time I see "could care less." The improper use of "begs the question" and "literally" are also pet peeves of mine.

Then again, language changes over time, no matter how hard anybody tries to keep it the same. Years from now, maybe "could of" will be considered proper formal usage.
elistan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 09:21 AM   #5
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
When you type as fast as I do. It's hard not to make errors. You subconsciously type like you talk. I usually hit Preview Post before I hit Submit when typing something longer than several sentences. And also, auto correct can be the culprit many times.

Some people are just anal pricks when it comes to grammar. The only thing I ignore is when people type a wall of text with no periods.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 09:30 AM   #6
iJon
macrumors 604
 
iJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
In my opinion, when people start commenting on grammar and spelling, they don't have much else to argue on and they latch on to that.

This is the internet, some of us are typing fast, typing on our phones, and often times errors are made
iJon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
It depends. If English is the person's first language and they still make grammatical errors, it's a sign of laziness. If you are an adult and your entire life you have been been saying "could of" instead of "could have" and never bothered to think about how "could of" doesn't make any sense, it just seems like laziness. Obviously a person who makes grammatical errors is not very detail oriented. It just reminds me of texting tweens. I can see how it is difficult to take these peoples' opinions seriously.
I think it has a lot more down to your upbringing. Worrying too much about grammar rules is just a way of keeping the poor down.

That said understanding correct grammar probably does make sense for people in QA.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 09:45 AM   #8
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601
 
mobilehaathi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzhogi View Post
Should A Person's Opinion be Dismissed Due to a Grammatical Error?
So that the illiterate and undereducated can be completely dismissed? Absolutely not.

Correct grammar and spelling are essential for proper communication, but we can't simply dismiss a person for failing to achieve this.
__________________
The true way is along a rope that is not spanned high in the air, but only just above the ground. It seems intended more to cause stumbling than to be walked along.
mobilehaathi is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:20 AM   #9
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
Correct grammar and spelling are essential for proper communication, but we can't simply dismiss a person for failing to achieve this.
Agreed. An error won't ruin a well thought out post, but it does have a way of completely wrecking one that isn't.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Happybunny
macrumors 65816
 
Happybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 's-Hertogenbosch Netherlands
English is my fourth language.

I find myself torn on this subject. I do agree that this is a PRSI forum on the internet, and not a school room; but some times there are faults which are just laughable. I also notice that posting, using an iPhone makes the job of typing fast extremely difficult.
I would like to point out that, good grammar and spelling of your own language should be second nature to most of you. Some of us spend a great amount of time to get our posts right both in spelling and grammar, this is done as a common decency to other users.
__________________
'You cannot undo history, but you can learn from it'
Happybunny is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:49 AM   #11
anonymouslurker
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Worrying too much about grammar rules is just a way of keeping the poor down.
What??
anonymouslurker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:53 AM   #12
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601
 
mobilehaathi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslurker View Post
What??
The poor often have substantially reduced access to education as well as far more pressing matters to attend to (i.e. eating).

Does that make the connection for you?
__________________
The true way is along a rope that is not spanned high in the air, but only just above the ground. It seems intended more to cause stumbling than to be walked along.
mobilehaathi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:55 AM   #13
anonymouslurker
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
The poor often have substantially reduced access to education as well as far more pressing matters to attend to (i.e. eating).

Does that make the connection for you?
Oh, I completely understand the correlation, I just find the leap to "keeping them down" a fairly silly notion.
anonymouslurker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:56 AM   #14
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020
 
Mac'nCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
The poor often have substantially reduced access to education as well as far more pressing matters to attend to (i.e. eating).

Does that make the connection for you?
The poor don't go to school because they are too busy eating. Got it.
Mac'nCheese is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:00 AM   #15
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601
 
mobilehaathi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
The poor don't go to school because they are too busy eating. Got it.
And this is why I don't visit PRSI very often.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslurker View Post
Oh, I completely understand the correlation, I just find the leap to "keeping them down" a fairly silly notion.
Not my choice phrasing, but we could interpret it (dismissing a person because of imperfect grammar) as a method of oppression.
__________________
The true way is along a rope that is not spanned high in the air, but only just above the ground. It seems intended more to cause stumbling than to be walked along.
mobilehaathi is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:05 AM   #16
Raid
macrumors 68020
 
Raid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
IAlthough I do admit to having a twitch every time I see "could care less." The improper use of "begs the question" and "literally" are also pet peeves of mine.
This literally begs the question of why you get so peeved when you consider these to be improperly used... Though this is a bit off topic, and I could care less if you addressed this or not.

Generally I agree that while poor grammar does nothing to support your point, it can't detract from the meaning; as long as the grammar structure is not an impediment to understanding the meaning and intent of the message.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
Raid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:11 AM   #17
elistan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver/Boulder, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid View Post
This literally begs the question of why you get so peeved when you consider these to be improperly used... Though this is a bit off topic, and I could care less if you addressed this or not.
Funny you say that - I deliberately misused "literally kills me" as a joke in a post about grammar once (even drew attention to the joke via italics and a smiley) and people still thought I was serious in my misuse and took delight in pointing out my "mistake." *sigh*

Internet. Serious business.
elistan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:12 AM   #18
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Ran the first 14 posts in this thread through Grammerly. It found 44 critical writing issues, generated four word choice corrections and scored 52 out of 100 i.e. weak, needs revision.

Details as follows:

Plagiarism Unoriginal text detected
Contextual Spelling Check Two issues
Grammar 18 issues
Use of articles (2)
Incorrect use of prepositions (1)
Comparing two or more things (1)
Punctuation Four issues
Punctuation within a sentence (4)
Style and Word Choice 19 issues
Writing style (15)
Vocabulary use (4)

Of course, being a paragon of punctuation, this unfortunately means I'll have to put you all on 'Ignore'. No hard feelings. Hope it's understandable.
Blue Velvet is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:14 AM   #19
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020
 
Mac'nCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
Funny you say that - I deliberately misused "literally kills me" as a joke in a post about grammar once (even drew attention to the joke via italics and a smiley) and people still thought I was serious in my misuse and took delight in pointing out my "mistake." *sigh*

Internet. Serious business.
Missing obvious sarcasm is my pet peeve.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
And this is why I don't visit PRSI very often.

----------


Because people point out that you post silly things?
Mac'nCheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:17 AM   #20
elistan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver/Boulder, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Plagiarism Unoriginal text detected
I'm really curious about which post triggered that one. Is one of the PRSI posters an expert-systems bot?
elistan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:20 AM   #21
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601
 
mobilehaathi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
Because people point out that you post silly things?
You're welcome to think that what I post is silly but not to misrepresent what I say.
__________________
The true way is along a rope that is not spanned high in the air, but only just above the ground. It seems intended more to cause stumbling than to be walked along.
mobilehaathi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:30 AM   #22
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020
 
Mac'nCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
You're welcome to think that what I post is silly but not to misrepresent what I say.
You're totally welcome to correct me.
Mac'nCheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:16 PM   #23
bradl
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
I'm really curious about which post triggered that one. Is one of the PRSI posters an expert-systems bot?
My guess is the OP. There is no source for the given quote.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:21 PM   #24
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601
 
mobilehaathi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
You're totally welcome to correct me.
I'm sorry that I don't have time to write a proper essay, but you may read a bit more about poverty and education in this booklet published by The International Academy of Education and the International Institute for Educational Planning. There are references at the end for further exploration.
__________________
The true way is along a rope that is not spanned high in the air, but only just above the ground. It seems intended more to cause stumbling than to be walked along.
mobilehaathi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:54 PM   #25
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020
 
Mac'nCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
I'm sorry that I don't have time to write a proper essay, but you may read a bit more about poverty and education in this booklet published by The International Academy of Education and the International Institute for Educational Planning. There are references at the end for further exploration.
No thanks. If you can't back up what you wrote on you own, you're probably better off staying out of PRSI.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Network users login error 'can't log in at this time due to an error' RyanelRichie Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 1 Jan 8, 2014 04:29 AM
Some Users Unable to Log In to App Store Due to 'FATAL' Error [Updated] MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 99 Dec 6, 2013 04:29 AM
Keep reminding me until dismissed? Possible? chrismacr iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Nov 29, 2013 06:51 PM
Failed to start erase of disk due to error (-9999, 0). JLEW700 OS X Mavericks (10.9) 1 Oct 30, 2013 10:40 AM
Apple 2 Iphone per person, ATT only 1 per person txlonghorns21 iPhone 2 Sep 19, 2012 09:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC