Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which color iPhone 5s would be a great gift for your Grandma?

• Gold/White

Votes: 47 49.0%
  • Silver/White

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • Space Gray/Black

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters

acore

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
It just came to me that the Gold/White iPhone 5s would be a great gift for my 80 year old Grandma.

Which color iPhone 5s would you buy for your Grandma?

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Older people definitely tend to go for the gold.

Not necessarily. The OP says she wears a lot of gold so that may be right for her but I'm 62 (and a grandmother) but I tend towards the whites. My wedding ring is platinum, my fav earrings are white gold, in fact all the jewelry I wear is white gold, platinum or silver. I would pick the silver (although I would prefer silver and black).

For women, look at their jewelry. If she doesn't wear any, look at her clothes or how her house is decorated (I.e., if it's rather ornate go for the gold).

If she's rather spry and happy-go-lucky she might rather have a 5C in a fun color. If she wears a lot of colorful clothes, her house is colorful and eclectic, she wears a lot of enamel jewelry (or maybe none) etc. Or, if like me, an old hippy....

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Question ???

What will a 80 year old grandma have a need for a smartphone anyway ? Eyes are shot in most cases, they tend not to be technology savvy, they don't text at all in most cases, hard of hearing for any music that is saved if saved at all for the older generations.

I'm almost 70 years old, and I use my smartphone because I do keep up with technology a lot but I don't text at all, I don't watch a small screen for movies, nor play games, but I do use the camera, GPS, but very old individuals do not, and I do talk as the phone was meant for.

So my question again is, why are you even considering top of the line expensive costing and expensive data plan iphone 5S for an 80 year old. I am baffled at this thinking.

Have you even spoken to her about this and what does she have now in way of a phone ?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Get her whatever color. and put a case in her favorite color on it.

acore

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
So it appears (thus far) Gold/White is the favorite iPhone 5s color for Grandmas!

ms3rIEs.png

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Question ???

What will a 80 year old grandma have a need for a smartphone anyway ? Eyes are shot in most cases, they tend not to be technology savvy, they don't text at all in most cases, hard of hearing for any music that is saved if saved at all for the older generations.

I'm almost 70 years old, and I use my smartphone because I do keep up with technology a lot but I don't text at all, I don't watch a small screen for movies, nor play games, but I do use the camera, GPS, but very old individuals do not, and I do talk as the phone was meant for.

So my question again is, why are you even considering top of the line expensive costing and expensive data plan iphone 5S for an 80 year old. I am baffled at this thinking.

Have you even spoken to her about this and what does she have now in way of a phone ?
IDK my grandma doesn't know how to use a cellphone. She is going to be 88 in 2 months. But, my mom bough a touchscreen laptop and she can answer whenever I call on skype since she just has to press the green button w her finger. Before w the older computer it was impossible for her to get the mouse to the green button. I think touchscreen scan be more intuitive for the older gen. Of course I wouldn't get her a 5S. Maybe a 5C for LTE and camera since the simpler to do the better.

acore

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
edit: looks like white/silver is the best for grandmas now, gold bashing thread is over.

Gold/White back on top for the best color for Grandma! ;)

4yv66JS.png

There is NO Gold bashing, as I only want the best for my Grandma and I want to get her the color iPhone 5s that would make her the happiest. :apple:

Jason1978

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013
It just came to me that the Gold/White iPhone 5s would be a great gift for my 80 year old Grandma.

Which color iPhone 5s would you buy for your Grandma?

Wow your 80 year old grandma wants an iPhone? That is great!!! My dad has a flip phone and laughs at the younger generation. That is so cool! I miss my grandma :( I remember my grandma had a hard time swiping through the screens every time I tried to show her pictures LOL

acore

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Wow your 80 year old grandma wants an iPhone? That is great!!! My dad has a flip phone and laughs at the younger generation. That is so cool! I miss my grandma :( I remember my grandma had a hard time swiping through the screens every time I tried to show her pictures LOL

iPhones are so user friendly and intuitive it is only natural that they are the perfect phones for Grandmas & Grandpas everywhere.

Gold/White iPhone 5s still at the top of the poll as the best iPhone 5s color for Grandmas everywhere!

JTf3LbL.png

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
iPhones are so user friendly and intuitive it is only natural that they are the perfect phones for Grandmas & Grandpas everywhere.

Gold/White iPhone 5s still at the top of the poll as the best iPhone 5s color for Grandmas everywhere!

Had to settle for space grey i'm guessing? Don't worry bro you can get the gold one once the hype dies down. :rolleyes:

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I think a 5C is the best color 5s....wait a sec.

Joking aside, I doubt she'd use the extra stuff a 5S offers. My 86 year old grandfather has an iPhone 4, and the only thing he uses it for is the phone and FaceTime, which is cool so he can see my kids more often.

Unless she's a retired computer engineer or tech geek, chances are the extra capabilities will be wasted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.