Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evan g

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Hello,

If this has been asked before, I apologize. I've spent a lot of time looking for a fix, but to no avail.

I have a mid 2012 Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion. Everything has been fine, up until a couple days ago, when both my speakers and headphone jack decided not to work. There was a red light in the headphone jack, and my sound output was stuck at "Digital Out" in the sound settings, from when I used the computer to do some sound for my band. I shut it down, and this morning, everything seemed to be fixed. No red light, sound comes out of my speakers, I'm able to change the volume, etc. Save for using headphones. If I put in headphones, it recognizes them in the settings as headphones. I can adjust volume and everything, I just don't hear anything.

I've tried resetting the computer, the PRAM, and SMC. I've tried putting it to sleep and waking it back up, and yesterday when it had the red light I tried the toothpick method (to no avail).

Everything I've read is pointing to a hardware issue, so if that's the case, how much are we talking in terms of repairs?

UPDATE: Tried another pair of headphones, no dice. Although for a second after I woke up my computer it did the red light, no audio at all for a second, but once I put my headphones in and out, it went back to speaker audio and no headphone audio.

UPDATE 2: Back to no audio for everything, red light included. I know about the button inside the headphone jack, and when I hold it with my headphones or a toothpick, sound works (speakers, anyway, no way to check headphones obviously). Once I take it out, it quits, won't even let me adjust volume when there aren't headphones inserted.

Last edited:

evan g

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Yes, I just tried it. No luck.

Although for a second after I woke up my computer it did the red light, no audio at all for a second, but once I put my headphones in and out, it went back to speaker audio and no headphone audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.