Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:21 AM   #1
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Third Colorado lawmaker faces possible recall over gun control

As the title states, a third Colorado is facing a possible recall over gun control votes if enough signatures are collected.

Reuters - Third Colorado lawmaker faces possible recall for gun control votes

----

At what point do our friends who think it's still 1885 gain some sanity and join us in 2013 and realize that this needs to stop because real people are dying in the modern day due to gun violence? It seems like we're hearing of some new shooting every week, when do these guys grow up and realize that guns are indeed a problem?
iMikeT is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:32 AM   #2
eawmp1
macrumors 601

As long as people espouse their rights, but forget about their responsibilities, we will continue our long decline as a civilized country.
eawmp1 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:37 AM   #3
chabig
macrumors 65816

As long as our elected representatives fail to uphold their responsibilities, they will continue to face recall. They must never forget their oaths of office, and the fact that they are employed at will.
chabig is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:59 AM   #4
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post
As long as our elected representatives fail to uphold their responsibilities, they will continue to face recall. They must never forget their oaths of office, and the fact that they are employed at will.
Agreed. I hope this one is as successful as the last one.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 05:18 PM   #5
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:

What about the responsibility of keeping society as a whole safe from weapons that are designed to kill?

Where does it say that elected officials's employment is at will?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed. I hope this one is as successful as the last one.

Why all this effort over a single issue? It's no wonder why nothing ever gets done in government, it's CONservatives that raise single issues like this and recall elected officials from doing their jobs.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post
As long as people espouse their rights, but forget about their responsibilities, we will continue our long decline as a civilized country.

What's the point of civilization if people refuse to be civilized?
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 05:26 PM   #6
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
As long as our elected representatives fail to uphold their responsibilities, they will continue to face recall.
Politicians have been shirking responsibility since time immemorial. That's what they do. Why is it guns that gets people motivated and not the atrocities like ridiculous wars and raping the economy? From my perspective your little flag waving priorities are ass backwards.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 05:31 PM   #7
chabig
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
What about the responsibility of keeping society as a whole safe from weapons that are designed to kill?
Are you referring to knives, forks, hammers, automobiles, or baseball bats? I don't think any of that is in their oath of office.
chabig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 05:46 PM   #8
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Are you referring to knives, forks, hammers, automobiles, or baseball bats?
I think you'll find that with the exception of some knives, the rest of your list is entirely composed of items that weren't designed to kill. Unlike guns.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 06:12 PM   #9
chabig
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy View Post
I think you'll find that with the exception of some knives, the rest of your list is entirely composed of items that weren't designed to kill. Unlike guns.
And yet only gun ownership is a constitutionally protected right. Go figure.
chabig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 06:20 PM   #10
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
And yet only gun ownership is a constitutionally protected right. Go figure.
Also halberds, pikes, and longbows.

And crossbows. Definitely crossbows.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 06:25 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Why all this effort over a single issue? It's no wonder why nothing ever gets done in government, it's CONservatives that raise single issues like this and recall elected officials from doing their jobs.
Because, it isn't just about one issue. In this past legislative session, the Colorado legislature passed several controversial pieces of legislation.

1. Passed a bill that would give illegal aliens in-state tuition at state universities.

2. Passed a bill that required a certain percentage of rural energy come from renewable sources. Will substantially raise rates for rural consumers.

3. Passed the gun legislation.

All of these bills were signed into law by Governor Hickenlooper. People are angry and fed up. They think that their legislatures are not listening to them, thus the recalls.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
Also halberds, pikes, and longbows.

And crossbows. Definitely crossbows.
You forgot pocket trebuchets.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:28 PM   #13
elistan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
People are angry and fed up. They think that their legislatures are not listening to them, thus the recalls.
Be that as it may, that does not equate to them shirking their responsibilities. Unpopular, yes, irresponsible, no.
elistan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:40 PM   #14
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Because, it isn't just about one issue. In this past legislative session, the Colorado legislature passed several controversial pieces of legislation.

1. Passed a bill that would give illegal aliens in-state tuition at state universities.

2. Passed a bill that required a certain percentage of rural energy come from renewable sources. Will substantially raise rates for rural consumers.

All of these bills were signed into law by Governor Hickenlooper. People are angry and fed up. They think that their legislatures are not listening to them, thus the recalls.
How dare you try to divert OP's agenda with facts when she is trying to make it all about guns! The type of guns that shoot people on their own.
haxrnick is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:42 PM   #15
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
Be that as it may, that does not equate to them shirking their responsibilities. Unpopular, yes, irresponsible, no.
I never said that they were shirking their responsibilities or irresponsible. Many people think that the recalled senators are not adequately representing them.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:47 PM   #16
elistan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I never said that they were shirking their responsibilities or irresponsible. Many people think that the recalled senators are not adequately representing them.
You're right, you didn't, but posts #2 and #3 brought up the concept of responsibility, in a generic sort of way but still implying that these particular lawmakers were shirking their responsibilities, and your specifically said you agreed with post #3. Also your post was a convenient one to quote because I could agree with your point about them being unpopular, but then bring up the responsibility thing.

I'm just trying to say that, IMO, it's not a responsibility of a lawmaker to make popular decisions.
elistan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 05:18 AM   #17
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

A lot of this is deviating from the issue of foolishly recalling Colorado state lawmakers but I'll bite.

Quote:

How dare the state government decide for itself without the federal government's interference to aid people in accessing higher education so they can be productive members of society? Aren't people people from both sides of the isle always yapping about the need for higher education and now that it is accessible to more people, it's a bad idea?

We have a similar bill in California that was passed in 2001 called AB-540 which gave undocumented individuals access to in-state tuition and it's worked quite well as many people have benefited from it and are better suited for the workforce. I personally know some people who have benefited from having access to AFFORDABLE tuition and are doing well thanks to a bill like this.

Keep in mind the broader picture and realize that the "illegal aliens" who benefit from these types of bills were born in other countries and brought here unknowingly and against their will by their parents when they were too young to even remember entering the United States. These people grew up among the rest of us and often find out that they were in the country "illegally" prior to graduating high school. Many of these people did well in school but hit a roadblock with college because they cannot afford it due to their status. These types of bills have strict qualifications so not just anyone can get in-state tuition.

Despite immigration status, are people supposed to suffer this kind of injustice because of the sins of their parents, are we not merciful? I'm not religious but isn't it a good idea to help the least among us?

Quote:

I don't know enough about this issue but I am glad to know that some effort is being done to limit our dependence on oil.

Quote:

This one makes me laugh.

Quote:

I think it's only extremist groups like Tea Party and *******tarians who are really angry enough to manage a recall. Run of the mill Republicans are lemmings because they see someone with a "D" next to their name on a ballot.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 08:25 AM   #18
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
A lot of this is deviating from the issue of foolishly recalling Colorado state lawmakers but I'll bite.
If the voters of Colorado feel that they are not being represented then it is NEVER foolish to remove said person from the office they were voted into BY THE PEOPLE.

Quote:
How dare the state government decide for itself without the federal government's interference to aid people in accessing higher education so they can be productive members of society? Aren't people people from both sides of the isle always yapping about the need for higher education and now that it is accessible to more people, it's a bad idea?
Fine, let the state do that, but if the voters feel that this was not in there best interest then they have every right to recall the people they voted into office.

Quote:
We have a similar bill in California that was passed in 2001 called AB-540 which gave undocumented individuals access to in-state tuition and it's worked quite well as many people have benefited from it and are better suited for the workforce. I personally know some people who have benefited from having access to AFFORDABLE tuition and are doing well thanks to a bill like this.
That's nice, I do not agree with such a bill but that is only my opinion.

Quote:
Keep in mind the broader picture and realize that the "illegal aliens" who benefit from these types of bills were born in other countries and brought here unknowingly and against their will by their parents when they were too young to even remember entering the United States. These people grew up among the rest of us and often find out that they were in the country "illegally" prior to graduating high school. Many of these people did well in school but hit a roadblock with college because they cannot afford it due to their status. These types of bills have strict qualifications so not just anyone can get in-state tuition.
Don't care how/when/if they knew they were entering illegally. Go through the proper channels and become a leagal citizen. Then they can have access to all the "wonderful things" other Americans do.

Quote:
Despite immigration status, are people supposed to suffer this kind of injustice because of the sins of their parents, are we not merciful?
Yes, there parents knew what they were doing, or at least knew it was wrong. It is there own fault for putting their child in that position in the first place

Quote:
I'm not religious but isn't it a good idea to help the least among us?
Sure, but I personally want to make that choice. They should not be using state funds to help an illegal alien through school and the like. If there is a privately funded tuition that i have the ability to opt into than great, I will do it that way if I so feel the need.

Quote:
I don't know enough about this issue but I am glad to know that some effort is being done to limit our dependence on oil.
But if your state is 75% rural and this happens you are only hurting the majority of your voters.

Quote:
This one makes me laugh.
Thats nice

Quote:
I think it's only extremist groups like Tea Party and *******tarians who are really angry enough to manage a recall. Run of the mill Republicans are lemmings because they see someone with a "D" next to their name on a ballot.
You realize you sounds like a 12 year old when you spout words like "*******tarians" and "CONservatives" right? Is it so hard to just call the different parties by what they are and not try to make it derogatory? I may have missed it but I don't see "Dumbocrat" being used at all (or nearly as much) as you appear to use the above terms.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:11 AM   #19
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

How does renewable energy hurt people in rural areas?
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:30 AM   #20
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_2339463...or-signed-into

http://www.fortmorgantimes.com/ci_23...t-rural-co-ops

http://www.hcn.org/blogs/goat/colora...y-requirements
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:38 AM   #21
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
I think it has to do with raising the prices, pretty much doubling those prices in places.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:24 AM   #22
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
I think it has to do with raising the prices, pretty much doubling those prices in places.
How can a 2% capped price increase for renewables (as per the Denver Post) double electricity bills?
Eraserhead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:26 AM   #23
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
How can a 2% capped price increase for renewables (as per the Denver Post) double electricity bills?
I am just going from what I have read (briefly/Skimming) in the articles that were provided.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:30 AM   #24
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I am just going from what I have read (briefly/Skimming) in the articles that were provided.
From the article:

Quote:
"it will require the rural electrical cooperatives that serve 70 percent of the state’s landmass and 25 percent of its residents to double the amount of renewable energy in their mix from 10 percent to 20 percent by 2020."
There is no. ****ing. way. that will double their bill.

And who cares if it does? I'm sick of subsidizing the lifestyle of people who chose to live in the middle of nowhere.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:22 PM   #25
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
From the Denver post article above:

Quote:
Under the new law, the cost of meeting the goal is capped at a 2 percent charge on bills, doubling the current renewable-energy cap.
I agree that if it was causing bills to double that would be unacceptable.
Eraserhead is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues