Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is set to reveal its revamped fifth-generation iPad later this month, and ahead of the event, new high-resolution images of the upcoming iPad's casing and front panel have been released by Australian writer Sonny Dickson, offering a clear view of what can be expected from the redesign.

Though the iPad's components have been shown off in multiple photos and videos, these high-quality images provide a better look at the slimmer, mini-style iPad 5.

ipad51.jpg

The fifth-generation iPad has been designed to look similar to the iPad mini, adopting smaller side bezels that cut a significant amount of bulk from the tablet. As a result, it is thinner, lighter, and smaller in size than the existing fourth-generation iPad.

ipad52.jpg

Apple's newest iPad is expected to include a new 64-bit processor from the A7 family introduced in the iPhone 5s, and it may also include an improved 8-megapixel camera. There has been speculation that the company could include the Touch ID fingerprint sensor that debuted with the iPhone 5s on both its revamped iPad and iPad mini, but thus far, there have been no physical signs of the feature.

As depicted in the photos, the iPad will be offered in both silver/white and black/space gray. Space gray, introduced alongside the iPhone 5s, is a lighter color that replaces the existing slate color. While it is possible that Apple will also offer the fifth-generation iPad in gold, there have thus far been no confirmed part leaks depicting the color.

ipad53.jpg

Apple is expected to unveil both the fifth-generation iPad and the second-generation iPad mini during an October 22 event that will also showcase other Apple products such as Mavericks and the Mac Pro.

Article Link: New Photos Offer Clear Look at Fifth-Generation iPad Ahead of October 22 Event

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
I wonder what are the possibilities of the stylus that apple patented a whole back coming to life ! I would love to see an apple designed "optical stylus"

http://www.gizmag.com/apple-stylus/22672/

Could be great for drawing apps amongst others

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
the silver back looks much better than the space grey.
I will be buying a silver/white Retina Mini tho.:)

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Will the space grey back color scratch off or is it part of the metal?

Anybody with a 5s space grey outside of a case have opinions? (a bit early for scratches I suppose)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
the new size is not a surprise

what matters is: how much weight did the iPad lose ???

Yeah, weight is more important at this point vs. exterior physical dimensions - it won't be significantly more portable with the trimmed side bezels and reduced thickness, but 0.5lbs reduction would be outstanding.

That being said, I don't think it'll be that much - my prediction, and even 0.34 lbs reduction making it 1.1lbs (or right at 500g) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.