Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 4, 2005, 01:40 PM   #1
ShotokaN
macrumors newbie

Tips for a college student when toting an iBook around?

Hey, I just recently bought a 14'' iBook, which happens to be both my first laptop and my first Mac. I'm just wondering what's the best way for me to carry it around, essentially everywhere I go. Most of it will be going to class and whatnot, but I fully expect to take this thing with me nearly every day.

I'm unsure whether to invest in a hard protective sleeve or a backpack/book bag with a laptop pocket. Which causes fewer scuff marks on the outside and protects the laptop more?

I got this thing like 5 days ago, and I've been afraid to take it around just out of fear of scratching it this early on.

I suppose my price range is the sub-$100 area, and apart from the iBook, I'd like a little room for the few books I need to take to class, but probably nothing more than what you would consider a light backpack load.

Any recommendations on which type to get and what specific brands to go for?

Many thanks in advance.
ShotokaN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 01:53 PM   #2
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Well, be sure to check out the lengthy but chock-full of info Buying a Mac Laptop Case or Sleeve...

I'm guessing the most cost efficient method for a student would be to invest in a really good sleeve/case that you could then use in any bag or backpack. I had gone w/ a laptop backpack (by the company booq) but I sort of regret not getting a great sleeve that I could then pop into whichever bag would best compliment my outfit.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 01:58 PM   #3
Steven1621
macrumors 6502a

I find that having an intergrated slot in my messenger bag to be the easiest way to go. Books + Computer = Everything I need. Again, refer to the post about laptop bags/sleeves etc. for more info.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 02:02 PM   #4
e˛Studios
macrumors 68020

I used my iBook all through my Graduate studies, i kept it in a North Face backpack that had a snug little padded pouch inside the main pack for the laptop. Although it was made for a larger laptop the iBook felt at home there. I did get some scratches on the case but nothing major, given how the glossy finish is on the iBook and the fact that its white I cant imagine many people that use theirs on a daily basis toting it around own for school/work to stay scratch free.

Take a look around, but mainly i would just pay attention to how you are organizing the pack its in, I would always make sure it was on top of everything so the keyboard wouldn't make marks on the screen for example. I think i paid around $100 for the backpack, Good Luck

Ed
Old Dec 4, 2005, 02:17 PM   #5
GregUofMN
macrumors regular

Having a laptop is the quinticential tool for college. I would recommend (based on my experience) getting a neoprene sleeve from www.goincase.com that is made to the exact size specifications of a 14" iBook. I bought one for my 15" PB and it's fantastic. Then you can remove the shoulder strap and lug it around in whatever backpack you have. The neoprene does NOT protect from falls or severe damage, but will keep it safe if you have other items in your back pack.

Also, I cannot stress this enough, buy a Kensington cable/lock and lock that sonuva biotch up whenever you get up to pee, go to a vending machine, etc. If you live in the dorms, lock it up there as well.

EDIT: Apparently, goincase.com has really gotten away from affordable computer protection and has gone to more designer looking bags/cases. Check out the Apple store for "Incase Neoprene Sleeve for 15-inch PowerBook and 14-inch iBook (Black)". This should do it for ya.

Last edited by GregUofMN; Dec 4, 2005 at 02:23 PM.
GregUofMN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 02:21 PM   #6
adk
macrumors 68000

I also have a Booq backpack for my PB. IT was a gift, so no complaints for a free backpack, but it really doesn't hold many books and I look like an uber-nerd when I wear it. I would definitely recommend Booq as a company though, their product is second to none and really tough. I think you should go for a quality sleeve.
adk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 02:35 PM   #7
JessFactor
macrumors newbie

I carry my 12" pb to class every day and I use this.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=TE083Z%2FA

It's only 50 bucks, it has a seperate compartment for your laptop and can hold your books. It's also really comfortable.
JessFactor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 02:36 PM   #8
Megatron
macrumors regular

I would say just get any sleeve you like that seems to protect it decently, and use that every time you put it in your bag.

But here's the most important thing - Be Careful how you put books in your back with the ibook, and be very careful when putting your back down, once you sit down in class or at the library or wherever. If you pile a lot of books on top of it in your bag, that's a lot of pressure on the back of the LCD, or if you slam your bag down once you find your seat, that is quite a shock. I would say those things are more important than what sleeve you get.

good luck!
Old Dec 4, 2005, 04:53 PM   #9
4leaf
macrumors member

i have a "tucano" neoprene sleeve...and ive carried it with me to college for about 2 years now and it is in perfect condition
4leaf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 05:49 PM   #10
xparaparafreakx
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to xparaparafreakx Send a message via MSN to xparaparafreakx Send a message via Yahoo to xparaparafreakx Send a message via Skype™ to xparaparafreakx
I should get somekind of case for my powerbook but I used my laptops since 6th grade and never need anything to cover it.
xparaparafreakx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 06:02 PM   #11
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

I would recommend some sort of sleeve to protect the iBook, and then some sort of back with a dedicated compartment.

I have this and it works very well, if you want basic protection from scratching.

I also have this messenger bag. It'll fit my 12'' PB, and a few text books, not all of them though.

If you want a backpack style with a laptop area in it, check out Northface. I really like their backpacks, the Recon is my favorite.

Last edited by Koodauw; Dec 4, 2005 at 06:08 PM.
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 06:32 PM   #12
semicharmed
macrumors regular

I bought an STM case (Australian brand, I'll try to find exactly where I bought it from).
It's a neoprene sleeve, and highly compressable.
So I bought the sleeve and a friend made me a bag with two compartments with enough room to carry textbooks. It's a messenger bag, and that's what I uaually use, but I've thrown the laptop (gently) into a backpack and a regular bag and I've had no problems.

Edit: I bought it from RadTech.
I have the Rebound, but the Omni is just oriented differently.
semicharmed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 06:34 PM   #13
AuburnTiger
macrumors member

I've had a Brenthaven bookbag with a special slot for a laptop since around August '03, and it's great. It has a lifetime warranty. I believe I bought it from Apple when I bought my first laptop.
AuburnTiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 06:43 PM   #14
ShotokaN
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessFactor
I carry my 12" pb to class every day and I use this.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=TE083Z%2FA

It's only 50 bucks, it has a seperate compartment for your laptop and can hold your books. It's also really comfortable.
Wow this looks great.

I only ever use one backpack at a time, and I rarely need to carry more than one textbook, so I think I should just go ahead and get something like this, and then use the extra $25 I'd save from buying this (as opposed to, say, something by North Face) in order to get a sleeve.
ShotokaN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 07:53 PM   #15
ll350
macrumors member

I was suprised to find that VICTORINOX (the swiss army knife people) make a laptop bag the fits the 14" iBook, but you'd probably still need a sleeve. The reason I mention the VICTORINOX bag is that it has hard protection, as well as some cushioning. And the most important part, they have a replacement deal for your laptop, if the bag fails and causes damage.
ll350 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:28 PM   #16
ghostee
macrumors 6502

I had a sleeve that I used to put my iBook into, which I then put into a normal backpack. It became an annoyance to have to open 2 cases to get my laptop in or out, so I bought a backpack with a laptop spot and have been very happy with it. Best Buy normally has some nice backpacks for $40-$100, mine costing $80 (but well worth it).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs